Author Topic: Long live the social consensus, long live PTS! (Stay tuned)  (Read 18487 times)

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
A note regarding our work on the transition of PTS to a standalone DPOS chain:

PTS is alive and well and so is the social consensus. PTS will be the preferred sharedrop instrument of future 3rd party DACs. We have yet to decide whether to use the Nov. 5th snapshot (since a future snapshot may not be possible if mining stops completely), but rest assured that we have a functional testnet, new website and marketing in the works, and an active group of dedicated developers and marketers.

Stay tuned for more information...

Think of it this way:  somebody still owns every single PTS.  For every seller, there was a buyer. 
Who do you think a developer would want to honor more, the sellers or the buyers?  Why?

If mining ever did pause, there would still be a last block mined to that point containing all the latest buyers.
Who can imagine honoring the people who sold to them instead?

Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline islandking

• The king of the island
    • View Profile
Why can't we just do 3rd party drops to BTS? PTS is pretty much dead as no miners are mining it anymore. It would also be nice because you would give the new blood coming in a chance instead of locking it to a small group of people. By dropping shares into BTS you will get wider distribution so more users. I really do not see the point in giving away shares to a defunct system that is owned largely by early adopters.

*Not trying to be disrespectful to the "early adopters" but I think we are all early adopters, and I think that by just sticking to BTS for share drops it will do 2 things

1) Bigger userbase and testers for your new 3rd party DAC which means less hoarding by just a few individuals.
2) Eliminates the confusion to new users and will give the new "early adopters" a chance to get in on the action.

Just my personal opinion :)
I've been working on a new electronic cash system that's fully peer-to-peer, with no trusted third party. - Satoshi

Offline ticklebiscuit

• View Profile
erm.. why?.. Surely the point of the new DACs' interest in honoring anything, is having the wider community embrace it?
Surely it's better just to keep it simple and honor BTS, as that will be where the majority of people will be, both new and old?

But it's kind of cool to have a thing people can purchase to "buy into the idea of the DAC." That's part of why I liked PTS from the beginning. I support keeping PTS alive, and it confuses me when people argue against it. Some people seem to think that having PTS continue would somehow detract from the bitshares ecosystem... if anything, I believe it has the potential to make it even more dynamic.

Yeh.  What this guy says

Offline biophil

• Professor of Computer Science
    • View Profile
    • My Academic Website
  • BitShares: biophil
erm.. why?.. Surely the point of the new DACs' interest in honoring anything, is having the wider community embrace it?
Surely it's better just to keep it simple and honor BTS, as that will be where the majority of people will be, both new and old?

But it's kind of cool to have a thing people can purchase to "buy into the idea of the DAC." That's part of why I liked PTS from the beginning. I support keeping PTS alive, and it confuses me when people argue against it. Some people seem to think that having PTS continue would somehow detract from the bitshares ecosystem... if anything, I believe it has the potential to make it even more dynamic.
Support our research efforts to improve BitAsset price-pegging! Vote for worker 1.14.204 "201907-uccs-research-project."

Offline davidpbrown

฿://1CBxm54Ah5hiYxiUtD7JGYRXykT5Z6ZuMc

Offline alphaBar

• View Profile
A note regarding our work on the transition of PTS to a standalone DPOS chain:

PTS is alive and well and so is the social consensus. PTS will be the preferred sharedrop instrument of future 3rd party DACs. We have yet to decide whether to use the Nov. 5th snapshot (since a future snapshot may not be possible if mining stops completely), but rest assured that we have a functional testnet, new website and marketing in the works, and an active group of dedicated developers and marketers.

Stay tuned for more information...