Author Topic: Should we kill the DACronym?  (Read 18851 times)

Offline Ben Mason

• Integrity & Innovation, powered by Bitshares
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: benjojo
I like decentralized application

Bitshares is a decentralized application enabling a global community to free world markets

Bitshares is decentralized software that records the transactions for a global community

Offline G1ng3rBr34dM4n

I agree - "DAC" has the potential to back us into a corner that doesn't fully encompass the potential of BitShares

BitShares is a global community using a decentralized application to produce the best money in the world.

I like the direction this is heading, but I believe there are a few key words from this description that may be too subjective to gain mass market understanding:
  • community
  • decentralized
  • application
  • best
  • money

Here's my attempt:

BitShares is a free market solution using open source software to purposefully design the most efficient worldwide monetary system.

Offline vlight

• View Profile
  • BitShares: vlight
People's Blockchain of Bitshares

::)

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
and i like to see bitshares as a platform for building dapps
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
you're BitShares
we're BitShares

why we try to couple it with existing words ... it's a completely new way of thinking, banking, voting etc ....my 2 cents

YES, BitShares can!  8)

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
you're BitShares
we're BitShares

why we try to couple it with existing words ... it's a completely new way of thinking, banking, voting etc ....my 2 cents

BitShares is you and me!
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
Bitshares is a life style  8)

Offline JWF

• Bought BTS seeds cheap, now I'm watching them grow
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
  • BitShares: jwf
I am in favor of dropping the "DAC" term. Running through the various synonyms for the 3 words does not give much that seems any easier to understand and explain to others though.

"Decentralized" is about as succinct as can you can get
"Autonomous" for sure should change as I have also had an issue with this word since people play a MAJOR role in this venture
"Corporation" has been struck
"Community" could work well
Other synonyms:
-Alliance
-Affiliation
-Collective
-Group
-Association

Offline bytemaster

community ,I would think of the old lady next door ...

collective , maybe more formal?

I don't think the A-autonomous is terribly accurate. 

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline btswildpig

• View Profile
community ,I would think of the old lady next door ...

collective , maybe more formal?
这个是私人账号,表达的一切言论均不代表任何团队和任何人。This is my personal account , anything I said with this account will be my opinion alone and has nothing to do with any group.

Offline bytemaster

Off the top of my head too -

I think the 'Bitshares is to corporation as Bitcoin is to currency' is going to be a helpful paradigm for the press to explain Bitshares when the time comes. Keep DAC.

The last thing we want is for the press to say BitShares is a corporation.
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline FreeTrade

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
Off the top of my head too -

I think the 'Bitshares is to corporation as Bitcoin is to currency' is going to be a helpful paradigm for the press to explain Bitshares when the time comes. Keep DAC.
“People should be more sophisticated? How are you gonna get that done?” - Jerry Seinfeld reply to Bill Maher

Offline bytemaster

We have been using DA(CCCCC) for almost a year now and it has gained a wide acceptance, but despite this others have used DA Organization or simply Decentralized Application to describe the software.

Considering we cannot agree on what the C in DAC stands for and it is becoming quite clear to me that the "autonomous" part is a tad confusing considering the critical role that people and politics play in DPOS perhaps we would all be better off dropping the DAC term all together.   

BitShares is a global community using a decentralized application to produce the best money in the world.

I want to get rid of the use of "company" for the description of what BitShares *is* and instead rely on it only for the purposes of explaining the economic design for the purposes of aligning incentives.

These are just random thoughts off the top of my head.... what do you think?