Author Topic: The absolute hard cap on # of BTS is 3,761,440,000  (Read 12683 times)

Offline muse-umum

• BitShares everything
    • View Profile
What worries me is not the rate of dilution. It's that delegates need to dump their BTS in order cover their costs. No matter what the rate of dilution is, there is constant sell pressure.

I may be wrong on this but I think greed is our ally in getting BTS off the ground. With all the crypto projects pitching revolutionary this and that. I think a sound investment is how you slice it. When the price of something goes up and up, like it or not, people notice. I think the dilution can hurt this which is why many companies choose to take out loans instead of diluting shareholders.

Basically I think it's misleading to look at it as a 6% of inflation. Since it does not mean that BTS will only be worth 6% less. A tiny percentage of dilution, dumped on the market an cause a total crash/downward spiral of the price.

So how will Notes take the dilution? Or no dilution?

Offline mf-tzo

• View Profile
What worries me is not the rate of dilution. It's that delegates need to dump their BTS in order cover their costs. No matter what the rate of dilution is, there is constant sell pressure.

I may be wrong on this but I think greed is our ally in getting BTS off the ground. With all the crypto projects pitching revolutionary this and that. I think a sound investment is how you slice it. When the price of something goes up and up, like it or not, people notice. I think the dilution can hurt this which is why many companies choose to take out loans instead of diluting shareholders.

Basically I think it's misleading to look at it as a 6% of inflation. Since it does not mean that BTS will only be worth 6% less. A tiny percentage of dilution, dumped on the market an cause a total crash/downward spiral of the price.

+5% +5%

Offline cob

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: cobb

Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline svk

You can track the supply inflation here: https://bitsharesblocks.com/charts/supply

Current annual inflation is edging up towards 2%, well below the current maximum value of 6.3%

Some nice stats you could add:

1. The theoretical max, taking into account the BTS that has already been burned
2. The projected max, taking into account the current rate of inflation

Good idea! :)

I've just pushed an update with those estimations. I calculate the supply until the 15 day maximum inflation is less than 1000 BTS, or 24000 BTS per year. The estimated future supply is based on the current proportion of delegate pay to maximum inflation, 15.46/50 = 31% at the current time. I then extrapolate the future supply using this proportion, so if we add lots of 100% delegates the estimated future supply will change accordingly.

The current estimates for Nov 2066 are:

Estimated final supply: 2,875,456,487 BTS
Theoretical maximum supply: 3,709,392,565 BTS

Worker: dev.bitsharesblocks

Offline cube

• Bit by bit, we will get there!
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: bitcube
You can track the supply inflation here: https://bitsharesblocks.com/charts/supply

Current annual inflation is edging up towards 2%, well below the current maximum value of 6.3%

That means we need new money flowing in at a rate of 2% (in order to preserve the value).  Are we achieving that?
ID: bitcube
bitcube is a dedicated witness and committe member. Please vote for bitcube.

Offline starspirit

• Financial markets pro over 20 years
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: starspirit
Due to some of the already destroyed coins , it's less than that actually .

It has dropped by almost ~50 million or so by now, due to a combination of having less than 101 paid delegates, and burning shares for various things.
Is there a numbers break-down available on the sources of coin destruction?

Offline fluxer555

• View Profile

Some nice stats you could add:

1. The theoretical max, taking into account the BTS that has already been burned
2. The projected max, taking into account the current rate of inflation

Offline stuartcharles

• View Profile

Offline svk

Worker: dev.bitsharesblocks

Offline stuartcharles

• View Profile
This is great news,although i see not new to most there will be a lot like me who drift in and out. As a price spike up or down causes a lot of us to drift in to see what is going on. For that reason i am bouncing this.

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander

It has dropped by almost ~50 million or so by now, due to a combination of having less than 101 paid delegates, and burning shares for various things.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline btswildpig

• View Profile
这个是私人账号,表达的一切言论均不代表任何团队和任何人。This is my personal account , anything I said with this account will be my opinion alone and has nothing to do with any group.

Offline Riverhead

Though there is no consensus about the required approval percentage for hard forks ..

Note that this applies to all crypto. Bitcoin could decide to double supply with a fork. There's probably only a handful of people that would need to agree too.

Sent from my Timex Sinclair

Offline Gentso1

• View Profile
  • BitShares: gentso
The current protocol does NOT allow infinite inflation ... the delegate pay halves ever 4 years IIRC ..

However .. stakeholdera could agree on a hard fork in the future and change the protocol .
 Though there is no consensus about the required approval percentage for hard forks ..

This statement just further's the case that we need some kind of in client voting.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
The current protocol does NOT allow infinite inflation ... the delegate pay halves ever 4 years IIRC ..

However .. stakeholdera could agree on a hard fork in the future and change the protocol .