Author Topic: How secure is the BTS client? Viruses?  (Read 1246 times)

Offline islandking

• The king of the island
    • View Profile
How secure is the BTS client? Is it likely to get viruses that will steal your coins?
Is it fine to keep your client online by booting on a Linux USB?

The wallet depends upon the security of the host operating system.   If your computer is compromised by a key logger or your password is weak then your funds can be stolen.

Is cold storage offline recommended? The issue with cold storage is that BTS is meant to be used so... its a trade off.
I've been working on a new electronic cash system that's fully peer-to-peer, with no trusted third party. - Satoshi

Offline bytemaster

How secure is the BTS client? Is it likely to get viruses that will steal your coins?

The wallet depends upon the security of the host operating system.   If your computer is compromised by a key logger or your password is weak then your funds can be stolen.

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline islandking

• The king of the island
    • View Profile
I've been working on a new electronic cash system that's fully peer-to-peer, with no trusted third party. - Satoshi