Author Topic: Counterparty Adds Ethereum Smart Contract Features  (Read 4128 times)

Offline fluxer555

• View Profile
we can all wish it wash that way but.. look.

bitcoin has a market cap of 5 billion. how many competing altcoins are there?

probably tens of thousands.

combined all of these tens of thousands have a market cap of 500 million. bitcoin has 90% of all marketcaps combined. most of the remaining 10% are in the top 10, and many aren't even competing with bitcoin at all.

why would 2.0 or any particular sector within it be different?

so yes, let us all be friends and diplomatic and wish upon a star, but let us not delude ourselves of some happy cash distribution for all systems at the end of this.

It may also just take a long time...

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
we can all wish it wash that way but.. look.

bitcoin has a market cap of 5 billion. how many competing altcoins are there?

probably tens of thousands.

combined all of these tens of thousands have a market cap of 500 million. bitcoin has 90% of all marketcaps combined. most of the remaining 10% are in the top 10, and many aren't even competing with bitcoin at all.

why would 2.0 or any particular sector within it be different?

so yes, let us all be friends and diplomatic and wish upon a star, but let us not delude ourselves of some happy cash distribution for all systems at the end of this.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 02:58:21 pm by CLains »

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit
You guys missed the part where Ethereum forked Counterparty in 340 lines of code: https://github.com/ethereum/serpent/commit/f509f4d20e3938fdf8a426513cfb4d13c5806fc5

The 2.0 space is about experiences from developer to consumer. The platform with the best developer experience -IDE integration, APIs, and libraries; the best consumer experience -beautiful easy to use client that's modular and secure; and entrepreneur experience -easy to deploy a profitable product will win.

Second, the 2.0 space is seeking to rebuild both enterprise cloud technology and the internet itself. That's a fairly big market and there will be a lot of competition. No one company will rule the cryptocurrency space just like no one company rules search, OSes, cell phones, hardware and pretty much everything else in technology. People need to step out of this sum zero mentality. Plenty of money for everyone.

I agree with you.  +5%

https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

sumantso

In the comments of that article I found a link to this http://ultra-coin.com/

Any thoughts?

Offline bytemaster

You guys missed the part where Ethereum forked Counterparty in 340 lines of code: https://github.com/ethereum/serpent/commit/f509f4d20e3938fdf8a426513cfb4d13c5806fc5

The 2.0 space is about experiences from developer to consumer. The platform with the best developer experience -IDE integration, APIs, and libraries; the best consumer experience -beautiful easy to use client that's modular and secure; and entrepreneur experience -easy to deploy a profitable product will win.

Second, the 2.0 space is seeking to rebuild both enterprise cloud technology and the internet itself. That's a fairly big market and there will be a lot of competition. No one company will rule the cryptocurrency space just like no one company rules search, OSes, cell phones, hardware and pretty much everything else in technology. People need to step out of this sum zero mentality. Plenty of money for everyone.

+1
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

charleshoskinson

Offline CLains

• View Profile
http://www.coindesk.com/counterparty-ignites-debate-ethereum-software-integration/

Counterparty challenging Ethereum by simply copying their tech! But wait!

"Throughout the interview, Krellenstein asserted that Ethereum is both a smart contract system and a new blockchain," which avoids "bloating the bitcoin blockchain."

New blockchain! How clever of Ethereum! Who will win now!?

"The developer went on to suggest that ultimately Ethereum will provide a more compelling smart contract solution should it succeed at reducing block times to 12 seconds, a figure it has suggested the project will strive to achieve."

Oh wow! 12 seconds!! That's amazingly fast, if Ethereum delivers they will win for sure!

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
Vitalik expressed indifferent acceptance when we asked if he wanted to be a delegate. Might be politicslly challenging though. We just have to find one satellite organization that will run it as a group.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Tell Vitalik to form an Ethereum cooperative delegate so that Bitshares can fund the Ethereum project indirectly. Will the multi-sig features you're rumored to be working on make this easier?

The strategic interest is that Bitshares and Ethereum promote decentralization and support the altcoin ecosystem. Counterparty rides the Bitcoin blockchain and at least right now Bitcoin is not democratic.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 09:42:39 pm by luckybit »
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
Smart contracts are part of the bitshares roadmap now.  We will have them eventually.

I dont think we need ethereum now.  What is ethereum?  They arent going to be the first ones with smart contracts.  All they are is a bunch of BTC donations and a lot of hype.  Dont you bet everyone who donated to ethereum now wishes they had bought counterparty?

What will ethereum do now?  Come out with smart contracts after having been beaten to the punch?  Give back everyones BTC?

We need Turing complete scripting now. The longer we wait the less momentum we have as the innovation goes where development is easiest. People who have bright ideas aren't going to wait for Bitshares to catch up and implement scripting.

Offline islandking

• The king of the island
    • View Profile
Counterparty has some big issues with it. The only difference between us and them is:

Counterparty: More hype, less tech
Bitshares: Less hype, better tech

In a few years maybe BTS is worth $8/share  8)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 01:27:16 pm by islandking »
I've been working on a new electronic cash system that's fully peer-to-peer, with no trusted third party. - Satoshi

Offline CLains

• View Profile
They are leeching off Ethereum press, who got more buzz than we ever did even before they got funded. We have had the mentality since inception that we are meant for bigger things, and that we really don't need to go after the cryptocommunity, as "they will come." I'm a broken record on the point of funding cryptocommunity f/buzz..

Everything will change with Delegates though, as everyone in this community can start spreading the word organically fueled by capital that feeds value back into the system to provide more capital. With the marketing push setting up launchpads in the periphery we have the "hype gospel" of a lifetime to work with too.  ;)

Offline hpenvy

• View Profile
I disagree.  We have been very open and available..but entrenched systems (Proof of Waste) and those who depend on them for sustanence do not simply want to admit they are not the best technologically. 

We have largely incurred a media blackout for this reason. 

Because of this, however, we have some very distinct (though not immediately obvious) advantages.  No worries...soon that part of the plan will roll out.  Im simply waiting to chat with the new beyond bitcoin crew (we have 17 new additions in the wings) and to get the final stamp of approval from alphabar, cube and robrigo..among others.   

Remember, you are powerful. Together we are unstoppable ;)

1. I agree with your comment about entrenched systems, that's exactly my point why it's easy for products such as CP to gain traction within the crypto news circles. It's not a threat to Bitcoin, it feeds those that rely on the system.

2. Open and available - absolutely. However, with all the recent changes and how they rolled out on the forum, it should also be easy to see why outsides would have trouble understanding our vision.  It's a temporary problem.

3. I have 0 concern about our future. Once the wallet is rocking, bitUSD is at the forefront of high risk merchants and marketing is pushing the funnels, on/off ramps, we'll be a force that can't be ignored. Our media will come from outside traditional crypto.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 12:30:17 am by hpenvy »
=============
btsx address: hpenvy
Tips appreciated for good work

Offline fuzzy

But reaching out to the cryptocommunity is something we have been consistently bad at since inception. People don't understand our plans.

I disagree.  We have been very open and available..but entrenched systems (Proof of Waste) and those who depend on them for sustanence do not simply want to admit they are not the best technologically.  Our message was unpopular because they felt threatened.

We have largely incurred a media blackout for this reason. 

Because of this, however, we have some very distinct (though not immediately obvious) advantages.  No worries...soon that part of the plan will roll out.  Im simply waiting to chat with the new beyond bitcoin crew (we have 17 new additions in the wings) and to get the final stamp of approval from alphabar, cube and robrigo..among others.   

Remember, you are powerful. Together we are unstoppable ;)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 12:26:33 am by fuzzy »
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline hpenvy

• View Profile
They get all the press even though we announced similar plans first. Shows how getting to the cryptocommunity first makes a big difference. They are up from 15 mill to 30 mill just from this. I hope our new website will be good! But reaching out to the cryptocommunity is something we have been consistently bad at since inception. People don't understand our plans.

CP isn't a threat to Bitcoin, news is much easier to push through Bitcoin circles. I would argue it's hard to explain our plans because until very recently, WE didn't all know the plans.  As we smooth out the wallet and the marketing approach to simplify the message, it'll be easier for us to get the word out.
=============
btsx address: hpenvy
Tips appreciated for good work

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander
Well, there is more to Ethereum than the part that counterparty copied, so I dont think it is completely fair to say that this killed Ethereum.

If we could hire ethereum devs that would be great, but so far they havent seemed interested.

Offline CLains

• View Profile
They get all the press even though we announced similar plans first. Shows how getting to the cryptocommunity first makes a big difference. They are up from 15 mill to 30 mill just from this. I hope our new website will be good! But reaching out to the cryptocommunity is something we have been consistently bad at since inception. People don't understand our plans.

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
Vitalik expressed indifferent acceptance when we asked if he wanted to be a delegate. Might be politicslly challenging though. We just have to find one satellite organization that will run it as a group.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline Rune

• View Profile
The entire ethereum team should join bitshares as delegates. We could vote to sharedrop some BTS onto the ethereum donators, and the team could return whatever bitcoin they have left. They can then work to implement sidechains and make ethereum a bitshares sidechain.

Even if they don't join us, we will just get some developer delegates to copy their work and implement it as a sidechain, like CP did... So they should realize that they might as well join us.

Offline fuzzy

I think vitalik is actually in line with our philosophy...

I just have to keep reminding myself hoskinson is no longer a part of any of these projects...as he is one of the primary reasons for my initial distrust.

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
I am really glad I am not an ethereum donator right now. :)   They must be kicking themselves.

They can start with dpos right away with respect to the social contract...
or we can copy/paste counterparty's actions... but having Vitalik as a 100% paid multiple slot delegate !  :P

Offline Ander

• View Profile
I am really glad I am not an ethereum donator right now. :)   They must be kicking themselves.

Offline fuzzy

Um... err... oh lord.

Im going to go sit in my closet with my tinfoil hat and let you all decide this matter.

Offline Ander

• View Profile
Smart contracts are part of the bitshares roadmap now.  We will have them eventually.

I dont think we need ethereum now.  What is ethereum?  They arent going to be the first ones with smart contracts.  All they are is a bunch of BTC donations and a lot of hype.  Dont you bet everyone who donated to ethereum now wishes they had bought counterparty?

What will ethereum do now?  Come out with smart contracts after having been beaten to the punch?  Give back everyones BTC?

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 10:20:56 pm by liondani »