Author Topic: Ethereum Mist is this the SuperDac?  (Read 4568 times)

charleshoskinson

Now you are name calling and entirely missing the point.   

I was inspired from your post a few minutes back in your other thread.

Beware the name dropping.   This is typical of Charles.  Once you recognize the technique these types of individuals use it becomes very obvious that there is no substance.   

Offline sparkles

• View Profile
Pure lack of imagination?  BitShares imagined fungible CFDs from the start.    Pooling / Averaging?   Looks like BitShares has it again.

Everyone will end up with BitAssets.   Which is why we have more than BitAssets on our side.  DPOS has great power.

Sprinkles, I was kind of there from the start. Check the first whitepaper. It's again not about implementation. It's about network population.

Now you are name calling and entirely missing the point.   

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
And I know that reliable feeds exist in the outside world, but getting them into your system reliably is the part the systems compete on.

What if they were bloomberg and thomson reuters feeds :)

Great! Same fundamental trust problems and area to compete in...
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

charleshoskinson

And I know that reliable feeds exist in the outside world, but getting them into your system reliably is the part the systems compete on.

What if they were bloomberg and thomson reuters feeds :)

Offline toast

• View Profile
First, one can make CFDs fungible. This is just pure lack of imagination. Second, trusted price feeds are the bedrock of the entire financial industry. I don't see any adoption problems stemming from them especially if they are can pooled and averaged.

What I'm saying is, we use price feeds now. So these hypothetical feed-based fungible CFD's and bitassets are basically the same thing now.

Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

charleshoskinson

Pure lack of imagination?  BitShares imagined fungible CFDs from the start.    Pooling / Averaging?   Looks like BitShares has it again.

Everyone will end up with BitAssets.   Which is why we have more than BitAssets on our side.  DPOS has great power.

Sprinkles, I was kind of there from the start. Check the first whitepaper. It's again not about implementation. It's about network population.

Offline sparkles

• View Profile
First, one can make CFDs fungible. This is just pure lack of imagination. Second, trusted price feeds are the bedrock of the entire financial industry. I don't see any adoption problems stemming from them especially if they are can pooled and averaged.

charleshoskinson

Offline toast

• View Profile
Even when Ethereum does clone BitAssets, they will still be remembered as being invented here by Dan Larimer. BitUSD is a great brand name and BitShares has captured it.

There is no reason to replicate a market peg when ethereum is better set for CFD contracts backed by trusted price feeds. If people want BitAssets, then they should use bitshares.

Unless you mean that people would prefer normal non-fungible CFDs, then what you're describing is pretty much the bitasset mechanic nowadays. The competition will be over trustworthiness of data feeds and network effect of the tracking assets.

charleshoskinson

Even when Ethereum does clone BitAssets, they will still be remembered as being invented here by Dan Larimer. BitUSD is a great brand name and BitShares has captured it.

There is no reason to replicate a market peg when ethereum is better set for CFD contracts backed by trusted price feeds. If people want BitAssets, then they should use bitshares.

Offline speedy

• View Profile
  • BitShares: speedy

Offline toast

• View Profile
You can almost implement bitassets exactly as we have them, and you can definitely implement something pretty much equivalent.

If you are surprised by 'ethereum having bitassets' then you really don't get ethereum. Their system won't be designed from the ground up for them to be useful, but they will have *some* kind of fungible price-tracking assets.

Offline speedy

• View Profile
  • BitShares: speedy
He means that Ethereum has cloned Counterparty.

charleshoskinson

Since when did counterparty have bit assets?   They have contract for difference settled by price feed, but they don't have the full BitAsset feature.

When did I say they did?

Offline sparkles

• View Profile

But they don't have bit-assets, right?

It wouldn't be hard to implement; however, the code component is trivial. It's actually network population that is the core issue. You have to have enough users to achieve market depth and liquidity.

Im sure Charles will tell us how Ethereum could clone BitAssets in 10 minutes using serpent.

Well Counterparty took a day and a half. I'd give Vitalik 2 days :)

Since when did counterparty have bit assets?   They have contract for difference settled by price feed, but they don't have the full BitAsset feature.