Author Topic: DAC + Referral Program = Viral Gold  (Read 6341 times)

Offline valzav

• View Profile
please read my thoughts on how a similar referral program can be implemented - it doesn't require new DAC or serious software modification, it focused only on new users acquisition
https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=11356.msg149525#msg149525 - any comments, questions or suggestions are welcome

Offline Pairmike

We are already designing and building such a referral network.
Will you elaborate?
https://Steemit.com | The Social Media Network that Pays

Offline fuzzy

We are essentially building something with BeyondBitcoinx that would serve as a wonderful platform for DACs like these to be better used.  I give a +5%  for this post. 

Essentially anyone can go on Mumble and start up their own events or interviews with new DAC Devs (there will probably eventually be far too many for our little crew to cover alone).  Either create content from the event and/or ask people to enter your referral code in the polished and edited content or before/after the event...

Of course people can also make their own blog sites for this, but even they can be all quickly viewed from the BBx Homepage.  I really think this should be used not only as an affiliate program but also as a means by which people who buy into DACs can choose to reward others they believe are valuable to the DACs ecosystem in general.

For instance, I buy shares in BitShares Poker and give credit to CLains for the referral even if he didn't refer me...just because I know this means that my love of gambling will also have a natural side effect of paying CLains, who works on many outreach initiatives and to my knowledge has never received payment.  Or Xeroc, who answers many questions and is also considered a priceless member of the team--but does not get paid for his services.

...Oh and btw, MeTHoDx, answer your pms man!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 01:19:29 pm by theFuzz »
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline AJ

• View Profile
The affiliate idea is tremendously important and yeah, why not build an army of affiliate marketers.

I mean, the 'giveaway' community is a big deal, giveaways have worked since the beginning of time for bitcoin and many projects before the digital currency space.

I think affiliates earning more than the traditional 'input your wallet address to get coins' is a far more effective model, and it gets them invested for the future.
btsx username: ajm - My BitSharesX Teaser video
http://youtube.com/watch?v=DRhwgmNsm9o

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile

Is there anything you guys haven't thought of? 8)

Not much for the rest of us to do, is there? Collect some pennies and buy some more BTSX, I guess!

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code
  • BitShares: methodx

Is there anything you guys haven't thought of? 8)

Offline bytemaster

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code
Maybe the people running those affiliate promotions can provide own downloadable client with the code already coded in the software.

I know you will say that people will not  be willing to download from random place on the web, but I think that most people are far less concerned about that, than the majority of the folks visiting this and similar forums. I might be wrong, but I do believe that most people mindlessly click on links and download stuff.

I like your thought process. Having affiliates provide the download would certainly decentralize distribution. However, I'd still be very worried from a security standpoint. It would be very easy for someone to provide a version of the app that sends the private key elsewhere. I would be cautious with this.

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
Maybe the people running those affiliate promotions can provide own downloadable client with the code already coded in the software.

I know you will say that people will not  be willing to download from random place on the web, but I think that most people are far less concerned about that, than the majority of the folks visiting this and similar forums. I might be wrong, but I do believe that most people mindlessly click on links and download stuff.
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code
It's not enough to pass a parameter to the app, you have to pass it to the download.

Check it you: btsx:delegate.methodx/approve

EDIT: Go to the bottom of http://bitsharesblocks.com and test it

This will work if the app is already installed.

I've thought about this a lot, which is why I'm suggesting referral codes as a way to bootstrap the idea (for now).

EDIT: As an affiliate, to make it easy for the user, you could always say "download the app here" and then "when you're done installing click this link to register".

Code: [Select]
btsx:andreas/sponsor
It's not as elegant as clicking an affiliate link and having a cookie take care of everything else but this implementation will be powerful nevertheless.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 11:39:26 pm by MeTHoDx »

Offline gamey

• View Profile

I think what you're saying here is it isn't possible to pass a referral code from the browser to an app. To my knowledge this is true which is why I'm suggesting sticking with a manual referral code method (at least for now). In the future, when we've got .p2p and .bit domains, all DACs will be browser based and this will no longer be an issue.

Speaking on a technical issue is probably a bad idea for me but...
I think somebody is already working on opening the BTSX client from a (web) link. If this is indeed the case passing the ref code should not be a problem, I think.

This subject interests me for obvious reasons.  I had the thought on a Mumble session then mulled it over on air... Anyway.. 

I am not sure what you mean passing things to an app, but usually when anything calls a sub-process/plugin etc it will have some sort of parameters passed along.  It might be very well possible to pass a referral link to an app embedded in the parameters even if it wasn't designed for that.  The context itself would need to be examined.

As far as login through btsx.  This is partially guess, partially first hand.

BTSX provides a protocol and register's itself as a content-type.  So thats how we can click on slates/votes etc.  They also have one for a login.  So through private/public key handshake you are able to authenticate via a protocol provided by bitshares x and the DNS DAC.  I'm working on a mod (hopefully plugin) that does this for SMF.  I keep being distracted by various things but it seems pretty easy just a matter of learning 2 small existing php codebases and merging them.  Easy as in not technically challenging, but still requires ramping up etc so can be a bit time consuming.
I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline tonyk

• View Profile

I think what you're saying here is it isn't possible to pass a referral code from the browser to an app. To my knowledge this is true which is why I'm suggesting sticking with a manual referral code method (at least for now). In the future, when we've got .p2p and .bit domains, all DACs will be browser based and this will no longer be an issue.

Speaking on a technical issue is probably a bad idea for me but...
I think somebody is already working on opening the BTSX client from a (web) link. If this is indeed the case passing the ref code should not be a problem, I think.
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code
Quote from: Shentist
the problem would be, that we would need in every client a coded BTSX address for the referral. i think would be a problem, because many people would not trust to download and install it!

lets assume a new transaction typ will be included
Code: [Select]
wallet_account_register <account_name> <pay_from_sponsor> [public_data] [delegate_pay_rate]

So if Andreas Antonopoulos were to promote a DAC, he would go on the Joe Rogan Experience, tell people what the DAC is, where to download it and say something like "enter referral code 'andreas' when registering". The DAC could easily be modified to debit 0.1 tokens from the andreas account, thereby simultaneously solving the issue with getting users set up AND providing a financial incentive for Andreas or someone like him to promote a DAC. I like it.

The GUI would look could look like this:

the sponsor needs the ability to set "sponsorship on" and maybe an amount who will be transfered "10 BTSX". In this case you can generate competing "Sponsors" .

Definitely.

something like if i use the client you spread you will get a lifetime cut of the fees - 5%

Lifetime residual income is quite the motivator!  :)

with this kind of incentive real affiliates will make in the future great profits and scammers with fake accounts will earn nothing.

Exactly. There would still have to be some mechanism in place to prevent one person from registering 1000s of useless accounting using a single referral. That's the only abuse hurdle I can see.

Offline Shentist

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • metaexchange
  • BitShares: shentist
I think many people are resistant to this idea because it changes the current paradigm of what a DAC is (to them). Having thought this out more, I'll give a clearer example of how I envision a referral program working.

Lets say we create a Poker DAC and the internal currency (and shares) are PokerChips.

UserA refers UserB to the PokerApp. UserB downloads the PokerApp and registers his account name to the blockchain with UserAs referral code.
   -The referral code can be the users account name that referred you.
   -UserA is logged in the blockchain as having referred UserB.

UserB plays PokerApp and wins 100,000 PokerChips.
   -The PokerApp blockchain takes a 1% cut (1,000 PokerChips).

UserA is rewarded 1,000 PokerChips.

Is there some fraud potential with this? Sure, every system involving money has fraud concerns. That doesn't mean we should just give up and forget about a referral program.

I am interested in building a learning platform referral program to give people incentives for learning about the fundamentals of crypto-equities, blockchain technology and eventually specific projects (BitShares ecosystem would be my first focus). These lessons wouldn't necessarily have to be super technical, but more about introducing the overarching concepts and why they matter. I think wider adoption will happen when people understand what they are interacting with better.

And with a referral program you and thousands of others would suddenly be financially motivated to teach as many people as you could why BitShares is important and how to use it. An army of educators would instantly be at the DACs disposal.

great idea!

how could it look in BTSX?

we have not a BTSX fund so far to pay something out. so why not take a piece of the tradingfees for the referal?

something like if i use the client you spread you will get a lifetime cut of the fees - 5%

with this kind of incentive real affiliates will make in the future great profits and scammers with fake accounts will earn nothing.

i thought a little bit about my idea.

the problem would be, that we would need in every client a coded BTSX address for the referral. i think would be a problem, because many people would not trust to download and install it!

BUT

maybe i have a new solution

lets assume a new transaction typ will be included

wallet_account_register <account_name> <pay_from_sponsor> [public_data] [delegate_pay_rate]

would also serve as a solution to register my wallet. so i could make a registration and my "sponsor" will pay the registration fees.

the sponsor needs the ability to set "sponsorship on" and maybe an amount who will be transfered "10 BTSX". In this case you can generate competing "Sponsors" .
the blockchain will take the registration fees from the sponsors account and not from the account who is registration.
as a reward, to be a sponsor, he will get a lifelong transaction fee for 1-5% for every trading activity (to be discussed how high it should be).

so with this solution we could serve 2 purposes

1. you do not need anymore someone to send you BTSX for register your account
2. someone with exposure to an audience can now market BTSX and be a sponsor to take the fees in the future

letstalkbitcoin will now provide a link "register your BTSX account with us and get 10BTSX" or something like this

the problem still exists for a sponsor, that maybe too many fake accounts will be created.

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code
Could it be a stand-alone third party site like a coupon or incentive program? It wouldn't need to be profitable, just break even. Or would it need to plug into BitShares X for the account info? If it were the former, someone like you might create something, and I'd gladly help you. If it needs to plug in directly to the code, that's where I think you'll hit a roadblock. There are a limited # of programmers working on BTSX and they'd probably much prefer to work on other aspects of it.

This is not an idea for the BitShares exchange. It's a business model for other DACs built on separate blockchains.

Can you say for certain that it would not work in BTSX?  Even for a particular bit asset?

Personally, I think they're very different business models, but I'm open to persuasion. :)