Author Topic: When can we say the peg is working? One perspective  (Read 3580 times)

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
"Nobody" (nobody with lots of BTS/bitUSD) can predict the price feed - real price delta after some small time in the future. This is sufficient for all external asset/bitAsset markets to have almost 0 spread. You do not need low spread on the internal BTS/bitasset exchanges.
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline bytemaster

The peg works if it is impossible for *you* to predict whether the number of dollars you are able to get for your BTS will be more or less than the number of bitUSD the price feed will say your BTS is worth before you intend to get rid of it.

I think that is awkward expression, could you clarify what you mean by it.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
With the current rules:

The peg works if it is impossible for *you* to predict whether the number of dollars you are able to get for your BTS will be more or less than the number of bitUSD the price feed will say your BTS is worth before you intend to get rid of it.

This should be sufficient to cause there to naturally grow “perfect” walls on any liquid asset/bitasset exchange, even if all these bad things are happening:

* the spread on the internal BTS/bit* markets is almost always wide and "off-center"
* Occasionally all feeds give a price that is off by a factor of a few %, but it is reliably detected and corrected as soon as it is public information  (BTS holders might get burned by this though!)
* one entity has information that helps it predict feed values for a minority of delegates
* Exchanges independently manipulate external BTS markets

Anyone want to stop me from pursuing this thought?
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.