Author Topic: Vitalik wins software innovation award  (Read 7448 times)

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code
  • BitShares: methodx
Im hoping Dan doesnt need awards to feel good about himself, Vitalik does need these awards.

I don't think it's fair to say that about Vitalik. He has contributed heaps to the crypto movement. I would really hate to see this community go down the "tribal" path...

Seriously guys, once BitShares gets more publicity, you can bet Dan will get his fair share of awards. For now, let's congratulate our friend Vitalik.

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
Im hoping Dan doesnt need awards to feel good about himself, Vitalik does need these awards.

Dan should feel great about himself for creating DPOS, and bitUSD.  He has created gravity.  Creating gravity is a lot stronger than creating language.

bitUSD = gravity.

I believe Dan is holding out for the Nobel Peace Prize.  :)
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline eagleeye

• View Profile

Dan should feel great about himself for creating DPOS, and bitUSD.  He has created gravity.  Creating gravity is a lot stronger than creating language.

bitUSD = gravity.

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline Empirical1.1

• View Profile
Congratulations to Vitalik!   +5%

+5% I don't know enough to know how valuable what he did is, but he comes across as a very talented but mature and humble guy.

Decentralised BitAssets are huge innovation though in my opinion, the biggest thing since (& ultimately bigger than) Bitcoin.  The whole world will be using & talking about them & Daniel soon enough.

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
Congratulations to Vitalik!   +5%

Offline starspirit

• Financial markets pro over 20 years
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: starspirit
Congratulations Vitalik and all the best.
Come on Dan for next year!

Offline speedy

• View Profile
  • BitShares: speedy
Vitalik is great guy, I hope he gets many more awards.

Definitely, but I just think Bytemaster is underrated.

Offline vegolino

• Reality is Information
    • View Profile
Vitalik is great guy, I hope he gets many more awards.

Xeldal

"Awards are meaningless to me, and I have nothing but disdain for anyone who actively campaigns to get one." - Bill Murray

They're all either for self gratification or publicity.  They don't mean anything beyond this.  Not to downplay Vitalik's work, it speaks for itself.  Who cares about an award.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 03:53:23 am by Xeldal »

sumantso

In my opinion, market pegged assets is a more worthy invention in itself then putting a scripting language on a blockchain, but these guys think otherwise:

http://www.wtn.net/summit-2014/2014-world-technology-awards-winners

Before his software is even released officially it wins the award?
I'm not against him winning but it's a bit soon.

Because this is sufficient for anyone to re-implement the exact protocol. It is "as good as software" as far as proving it is possible.
http://gavwood.com/paper.pdf

Are you guys considering it for some stage?

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
In my opinion, market pegged assets is a more worthy invention in itself then putting a scripting language on a blockchain, but these guys think otherwise:

http://www.wtn.net/summit-2014/2014-world-technology-awards-winners

Because this is sufficient for anyone to re-implement the exact protocol. It is "as good as software" as far as proving it is possible.
http://gavwood.com/paper.pdf
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander
You guys are right on. Or how about President Obama getting a Nobel Peace Prize just after he was elected president? :)
Yes.

I suppose we need to make a meme where we say "Thanks Vitalik" any time anything bad happens in crypto land. :P
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile

I agree with this. 

I do think Vitalik is very deserving.  But hype/advertising/media presence is playing at least as much of a role in this award as technical achievements.

It is similar to how in baseball, they give out the gold glove awards, but instead of actually giving them to the best defenders, they give them to the most famous players that aren't outright terrible at defense.  So all the great defense, no offense guys get passed over, and they give the award to someone who is great at offense (and thus famous) and sortof above average at defense.

You guys are right on. Or how about President Obama getting a Nobel Peace Prize just after he was elected president? :)