Author Topic: Introducing Sparkle - BitShares meets Proof of Work.  (Read 25347 times)

charleshoskinson

that question was personal. vicious, i wouldn't say.
but I can settle on that ;)

I guess forum based levity is hard to transmit. So what was this thread about anyway? Sprinkles on Bitshares? Why in gods name would anyone try to attach PoW to Bitshares? Ugh.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 11:32:43 pm by charleshoskinson »

Offline gamey

• View Profile
Charles is a genius but not at the things people see.

So my grand plan is to undo a company that I already beat in the free market? And to what end- sour grapes? I don't need to bash Invictus's reputation or character. Dan has already done a fine job by repeatedly changing the social contract, releasing buggy software, and making false claims about a partnership with Ethereum. Sorry just because Vitalik stays at your house doesn't mean he's going to throw away all the tech of ethereum to adopt yours.

What is honestly comical to me is how little you guys seem to understand about actually scaling a business and getting adoption. I'm not trying to be rude, but look at counterparty's progress compared to yours. At what point is there a problem? Also how many promises have to be broken before people lose credibility?

Whaaaat ?  I didn't say any such thing.

How do you get from that one statement to this complete scorching of Bitshares ?  You seem bitter because Vitalik hung out with Dan and they probably had a lot of interesting discussions.  Then back to business and no business changes were made?  Ok.  Glad Dan talked to him.  That is the least of my concerns.

Honestly man, this comes across as crazy talk.  I mean if you want to make the statement...  make the statement.  Don't just sit there chomping at the bit waiting for little excuses to let loose.

I have 0 clues what your grand plan is or how exactly you are motivated.

---- This thread has me laughing in stitches seeing sparkles go after Charles.  God I'd need a flowchart to get this straight in my head.  There is a cult and it is the cult of the clusterfuck thread. 
I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
Sure :) But why reply like this (with this content, this perspective, this attitude)?

To quote Donald Rumsfeld: "That's a vicious question; I have no idea". :)
that question was personal. vicious, i wouldn't say.
but I can settle on that ;)

charleshoskinson

Sure :) But why reply like this (with this content, this perspective, this attitude)?

To quote Donald Rumsfeld: "That's a vicious question; I have no idea". :)

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
Replying to prior posts.
Sure :) But why reply like this (with this content, this perspective, this attitude)? Because it is "true"? :) Probably not. It is all perspective. I meant: What motivates your perspective?

charleshoskinson

What is the purpose of such a post? The truth? Anger management? It certainly is not constructive.

Replying to prior posts.

Beware the name dropping.   This is typical of Charles.  Once you recognize the technique these types of individuals use it becomes very obvious that there is no substance.   

Curious why you didn't mention this one Delulo?

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
Maybe I'm too harsh on Charles, but I usually enjoy his posts.  Last I heard he was working on lots of scala code (I was reminded as I was finding the thread).  I'm curious how that is going.

Over the past few months I've been going on a magic tour of a few categories of technology. Coming from the Haskell world, I've always admired functional programming for its simplicity and ease of multithreading thus I've been trying to catch up on the non-academic progress in the field. So far there's scala, clojure and F# as the major innovations. Haskell itself has grown a lot and does now have decent libraries for most anything. Scala and Clojure are connected to the JVM whereas F# is connected to .net. Since MS open sourced .net I've added F# to my list to review.

Second, I've been looking heavily at curveCP, ZeroMQ, Saltstack and nanomsg. I'd highly encourage you guys to spend some time with these technologies. They are both elegant and remarkably efficient.

Third, the remainder of my time has been split between a regulatory paper I've been drafting (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xG1hkPbk0uuavjPc_gt_eWxEUbWM1SlsxNmhGdRIUtg/edit?usp=sharing) and reviewing graph databases. I'd like to thank the Neo4j guys. They've been enormously helpful in answering all my questions.

So yes, the Scala is coming along well.

So my grand plan is to undo a company that I already beat in the free market? And to what end- sour grapes? I don't need to bash Invictus's reputation or character. Dan has already done a fine job by repeatedly changing the social contract, releasing buggy software, and making false claims about a partnership with Ethereum. Sorry just because Vitalik stays at your house doesn't mean he's going to throw away all the tech of ethereum to adopt yours.

What is honestly comical to me is how little you guys seem to understand about actually scaling a business and getting adoption. I'm not trying to be rude, but look at counterparty's progress compared to yours. At what point is there a problem? Also how many promises have to be broken before people lose credibility?
What is the purpose of such a post? The truth? Anger management? It certainly is not constructive.
On the content (second section about dan/bitshares): That heavily depends on how you look at it. What is your motive to look at it like your presented it? 
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 11:14:56 pm by delulo »

charleshoskinson

Beware the name dropping.   This is typical of Charles.  Once you recognize the technique these types of individuals use it becomes very obvious that there is no substance.   

Thanking a database company for promptly and fully answering my emails is somehow name dropping? Jesus man, you all are warped.

Offline sparkles

• View Profile
Maybe I'm too harsh on Charles, but I usually enjoy his posts.  Last I heard he was working on lots of scala code (I was reminded as I was finding the thread).  I'm curious how that is going.

Over the past few months I've been going on a magic tour of a few categories of technology. Coming from the Haskell world, I've always admired functional programming for its simplicity and ease of multithreading thus I've been trying to catch up on the non-academic progress in the field. So far there's scala, clojure and F# as the major innovations. Haskell itself has grown a lot and does now have decent libraries for most anything. Scala and Clojure are connected to the JVM whereas F# is connected to .net. Since MS open sourced .net I've added F# to my list to review.

Second, I've been looking heavily at curveCP, ZeroMQ, Saltstack and nanomsg. I'd highly encourage you guys to spend some time with these technologies. They are both elegant and remarkably efficient.

Third, the remainder of my time has been split between a regulatory paper I've been drafting (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xG1hkPbk0uuavjPc_gt_eWxEUbWM1SlsxNmhGdRIUtg/edit?usp=sharing) and reviewing graph databases. I'd like to thank the Neo4j guys. They've been enormously helpful in answering all my questions.

charleshoskinson

« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 11:01:05 pm by charleshoskinson »

zerosum

I just wanted to add - very well chosen name, btw, Sparkles indeed it seems to be.
Well chosen support characters for that effect as well!

If I ever need support for such effects I will definitely keep you in mind OP!

PS
I felt slightly amused from the beginning, but it beat my expectation by a good mile!
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 07:38:17 pm by tonyk2 »

Offline fuzzy

3 things:

1. Very much support this idea, since you are sharedropping to PTS/AGS. If you decide to sharedrop some to BTS, you will probably gain much more support from the community since I think that most people's interests should be by now in BTS anyway..40/40/20 maybe to keep everyone happy? Please don't sharedrop to BTC, Doge or anything else. There is no point to airdrop to these demographics. The only reason I am not buying any RPCs is because they airdrop to other demographics other than our community and this will just create selling pressure upon launching since undoubtedly BTC,DOGEs will just dump them in the market...

2. This is a call for DEVs...I3 please create something that we can import AGS / PTS keys securely without the need to trust 3rd parties. I always wanted to play Freetrade's Lotto and couldn't because I didn't want with a 3rd party even if Freetrade is a well known member...We want as many as possible experiments like these to airdrop to our community without the fear initial shareholders to lose everything..

3. If I understand correctly the OP stated PTS/AGS as of 5th November. No point to buy PTS now since sparkle will not be airdropped to new PTS. Correct?

Amen and thanks mf-tzo.

1) agreed
2) very much agreed (especially since we now have 2 anonymous devs working on forks of btsx
3) that is distinctly against our policy of giving at least 14 days notice before snapshots. Please fix it.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 07:40:52 pm by fuzzy »
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline fuzzy

I agree with you that a conversation between you/fuz/ag and charles should not be generalized onto the whole forum. I said that before in here.

To be clear, I only responded to charles calling our community a cult while he markets a product using the word "magic".

And to be clear, I have not yet seen ethereum as bein nearly as "open source" as this project.  It is more like microsoft to bitshares linux.

If you notice, charles literally has only answered like 2 of 100 questions our members have asked him whereas bm and team are pretty much completely open.  I am done with this silliness though. My intentions are never to divide community members I respect..if that means accepting they are right without a discussion out of fear of being called a cult member, so be it.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 07:42:05 pm by fuzzy »

Offline fuzzy

May I please keep a single thread in the Main Discussion part of the forum.   Moving it here will have it mostly ignored and isn't really supporting it.

I say keep it here (or start a "fresh" one). It's a very interesting idea and discussion.

---

To add to the off-topic conversation I skimmed through:

When BitShares takes off, we will be flooded with threads like this. It's a good thing.
A. It means BitShares has value and vision that's worth cloning or competing against
B. BitShares is more than code, it's a philosophy I want to spread. We must allow for creative interpretations and implementations.
C. Only thing better than a decentralized BTS SuperDAC is a decentralized ecosystem of decentralized experiments

In the long run, BTS is guaranteed to have many worthy competitors.. it's healthy.
If we work together, we will bring about the change that we want to see in the world faster.

TLDR: They copy us, we copy them, society wins.

In a perfect world, this makes perfect sense.  However we live in a world where we are trying to overcome the power structures that currently exist.  If they can buy and market a project from the very beginning, thus defeating any project with a grassroots movement, we are building the same system...only a 2.0 version. Only my opinions.

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
I didn't mean to imply that that "I" i used in that post was the OP here! That was just a means of making a general point (in a bit a cocky way).

It has nothing to do with your use of I, but the choice of calling a group of people who believe in a certain type of crypto project "idiots".   After reading and replying to your long pms giving me me the same spiel I come to see what people's opinions are in this thread and I see you calling a whole group of people idiots for a fairly harmless opinion.  I don't know if I am supposed to post a picture with a facepalm meme or something.  It is just amazing to me.  The whole of this thread is. 

It is one thing to say "Gamey/AG/onceupatime" do not be so antagonistic.  That is reasonable.  I know I like to argue.  It is a weak spot of mine.  Most people have weak egos and don't like to do it.  I don't care, confrontation doesn't bother me.  I realize it isn't productive in a lot of areas in life but forums are different. The main thing is to not carry grudges and ruin the rest of the forum.  Thats when we start creating problems.

I'm not sure what to do here.  The fact that the whole implanting of a "cult" has worked on what I consider some of the smarter members makes me a bit sad.  Either that or I don't understand this thread at all.  I see the same thing on any forum.  You have a wide mixture of people.  Some confrontational, some not so confrontational.  That is a good thing IMO.
Gamey I did not want to make a reference to this threat or the people in here with my post! It was just a general (too cocky?) explanation of why I think that just copying and tweaking it a bit is not any competition. But I see how that might have come across differently in this context so sorry for that.

I agree with you that a conversation between you/fuz/ag and charles should not be generalized onto the whole forum. I said that before in here.