Author Topic: FYI: Queued Delegated Proof-of-Stake coin: Qointum  (Read 6359 times)

Offline gamey

• View Profile

Have quantum computers really become a viable threat to crypto or is that 99% marketing hype ?
I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
I am suspicious of python smart contracts. If you're taking that approach lua or JS would be seem infinitely better.

This sounds cool though:  "Maximally Vetted Delegate Chain that permits Simplified Payment Verification (SPV)".

Are they honoring AGS/PTS?

Maybe we should bring them into a developer mumble? Fuzz?

I actually disagree. I think Python is better for smart contracts because of readability. You could make a case that perhaps more people know Javascript but Javascript is infinitely more complicated syntax than Python which for smart contracts would not be desirable.

It's fair for debate but I hope with Bitshares we go with many different scripting languages including Python so developers can choose what they prefer.

In any case you would probably have 10 different languages that can compile to it so you can read whichever is most pleasing. But this way if I understand correctly they're putting a python runtime into every full node, which you have to re-start very frequently.
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit
I am suspicious of python smart contracts. If you're taking that approach lua or JS would be seem infinitely better.

This sounds cool though:  "Maximally Vetted Delegate Chain that permits Simplified Payment Verification (SPV)".

I actually disagree. I think Python is better for smart contracts because of readability. You could make a case that perhaps more people know Javascript but Javascript is infinitely more complicated syntax than Python which for smart contracts would not be desirable.

It's fair for debate but I hope with Bitshares we go with many different scripting languages including Python so developers can choose what they prefer.

I think DPoS is the new standard in terms of technology. There are many ways which you can improve on or modify certain aspects of the model for different communities but the core aspects are the best in their class. DPoS is the most democratic and efficient way of providing security and while I can think of different ways to do voting (I prefer direct democracy instead of delegated) and we can have debates over which scripting language, the overall model is the same.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 05:11:36 pm by luckybit »
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline edilliam

No mention of BitShares at all in the tech stuff so I doubt they'll be honoring AGS/PTS.

Quote from one dev in this thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=857509.0;all:

There is some mathematical evidence that the encryption system we're using is in fact quantum-resistant, so we only need enough bits in the key to thwart a quantum search (Grover's algorithm). Also, we use merkle hash trees for signatures, and although there is no proof yet, there are no known quantum algorithms that can attack hashes other than a quantum search. To brute force a 256-bit hash would usually take 2256 operations, but Grover's algorithm only takes O(√N) time, so that's 2256/2 = 2128 quantum operations = 128-bit level quantum security.

He is referring to this paper: http://www.santafe.edu/media/workingpapers/11-06-021.pdf

Yeah, would be interesting to talk to him.

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai

Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline edilliam

TLDR:

• "Cutting-edge cryptographic algorithms that are designed to be secure against quantum computers"
  • "Instant transaction confirmation by means of a consensus heuristic based on delegate voting"
  • Smart contracts stuff in python
  • Main stuff in C++
  • Consensus algorithm: "Maximally Vetted Delegate Chain that permits Simplified Payment Verification (SPV)"
  • 1 billion coins (19.9% going to the devs)
  • Stealth addresses
  • Pruned blockchain

Looks like it's a proposed mix between us and Ethereum with some buzzwords thrown in...

Offline edilliam

I don't think it's anything yet, first release isn't due until Fall 2015 according to the roadmap: https://wiki.qointum.com/roadmap/

Looks like he's promising lots and trying to raise funds to deliver...

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
Can you give a tl;dr version? Is it a fork of DPOS?

Offline edilliam

Just came a across this: https://qointum.com/

It says it is going to be using Queued Delegated Proof-of-Stake... I'm just starting to read through the technical stuff now. Thoughts?