Author Topic: Be the first person in history to get hired by a blockchain!  (Read 12073 times)

Offline Gentso1

• View Profile
  • BitShares: gentso
@Gentso1 Difficult to estimate. It depends on how much support the core developers can give, if the BitsharesX RPC is supperior to Bitcoin's so no Electrum-like indexer is needed. It took 6 months of development to arrive at the current level with the Coinomi wallet but I had already a good grasp of the Bitcoin protocol. If I can guess, I would say that in the best case it will take about a month for the basic functionality. For the funding would like to cover the server expences and support a 2-3 person team for at least 6 months so we could develop additional clients for the rest of the platforms.

@jsidhu it would be helpful to get the core devs input on this matter. Mobile is challenging because we have low power and memory, erratic and slow connections. Mobile is important because we want people to use crypto-currency in super markets :)

Thanks, I know how challenging it can be to answer questions like that but it's important to have a timetable on this end.

I took the time to d/l you app and check it out and it is very slick.
Setup is straightforward and the interface is very nice. Addresses can be shared in a bunch of different ways which is great.

Even if bts/bitUSD isn't added I am going to keep your app until I find one better or a reason not to like it any more :)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 10:58:14 pm by Gentso1 »

Offline erasmospunk

• View Profile
@Gentso1 Difficult to estimate. It depends on how much support the core developers can give, if the BitsharesX RPC is supperior to Bitcoin's so no Electrum-like indexer is needed. It took 6 months of development to arrive at the current level with the Coinomi wallet but I had already a good grasp of the Bitcoin protocol. If I can guess, I would say that in the best case it will take about a month for the basic functionality. For the funding would like to cover the server expences and support a 2-3 person team for at least 6 months so we could develop additional clients for the rest of the platforms.

@jsidhu it would be helpful to get the core devs input on this matter. Mobile is challenging because we have low power and memory, erratic and slow connections. Mobile is important because we want people to use crypto-currency in super markets :)

Offline jsidhu

• View Profile
@Troglodactyl I am familiar with Bitcoin family source code and the low level protocol. BitsharesX is a new beast to me but I from a quick look of the bitshares repo, there are similar concepts.

@Rune understood, thanks for clarifying. Even if we cannot collaborate, I am very excited about the potential of this idea!

The concept of Coinomi is that of a thin client or Electrum-like architecture. This means that there is a server-side component (Electrum server TX indexer) that offloads massive complexity from the mobile device while still not storing any user keys on the servers. With BitsharesX the approach will be similar, bunch of server/nodes will serve blockchain data on demand to the mobile clients. When the user wants to send money, the client will create a Bitshares TX, sign it and broadcast it via the server. It's not pure p2p but there will be the option for the user to use their own node.

edit: typos
I never liked the concept of supernodes but it could fit quite well using delegate idea
Hired by blockchain | Developer
delegate: dev.sidhujag

Offline Gentso1

• View Profile
  • BitShares: gentso
@Troglodactyl I am familiar with Bitcoin family source code and the low level protocol. BitsharesX is a new beast to me but I from a quick look of the bitshares repo, there are similar concepts.

@Rune understood, thanks for clarifying. Even if we cannot collaborate, I am very excited about the potential of this idea!

The concept of Coinomi is that of a thin client or Electrum-like architecture. This means that there is a server-side component (Electrum server TX indexer) that offloads massive complexity from the mobile device while still not storing any user keys on the servers. With BitsharesX the approach will be similar, bunch of server/nodes will serve blockchain data on demand to the mobile clients. When the user wants to send money, the client will create a Bitshares TX, sign it and broadcast it via the server. It's not pure p2p but there will be the option for the user to use their own node.

How much in funds are you seeking and when is a estimated time you could provide a beta release with bts and bitUSD included?

Offline bluebit

• View Profile
What we need is a bounty delegate who will post the appropriate bounties on an as needed basis. It's the difference between hiring an employee and a contractor. The "be the first person in history to get hired by a blockchain" is intended to kill two birds with one stone:

1. Genuine publicity
2. Gets a valuable thing done

That is/was my thought process.

We could also put a "FUND ME" icon next to each delegate inside Bitshares, so that users can pay delegates, maybe latter even fund individual projects. Could also have continuing payments, instead of one time payment.

BTSX TipMe: bluebit

Offline bytemaster

+1
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline erasmospunk

• View Profile

« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 02:29:56 pm by erasmospunk »

Offline Rune

• View Profile

Giannis, you have to understand that the blockchain can only offer one deal: A paid delegate.

While this is true theres no need for all developers to become delegates themselves.  If Giannis doesn't want to become a delegate he can pitch his contribution in the delegate subforum and a trusted technical delegate can offer to start up a 100% pay delegate and pay him a portion, keeping hold of the extra funds for other projects.

Riverhead talked about setting up a 'projects' delegate.

You're right, however it's important to remember that the people who are paid by project delegates do not work for the blockchain, they work for the project delegate (especially since the responsibility of campaigning will probably lie with the project delegate). I used to think this was a bad thing since it increases the risk of getting gox'd, but I've come to realize it is necessary for efficiency. In this case it looks like there's already a team of sorts so I think it would make sense for them to run their own delegate and campaign for themselves, but anything is possible and I'm super excited to see the kind of employment systems we end up getting for developers. It's gonna be awesome.

Offline matt608

• View Profile

Giannis, you have to understand that the blockchain can only offer one deal: A paid delegate.

While this is true theres no need for all developers to become delegates themselves.  If Giannis doesn't want to become a delegate he can pitch his contribution in the delegate subforum and a trusted technical delegate can offer to start up a 100% pay delegate and pay him a portion, keeping hold of the extra funds for other projects.

Riverhead talked about setting up a 'projects' delegate, which I think we need.  He would then be a 'division head' and Giannis 'employed' by Riverhead.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 01:51:34 pm by matt608 »

Offline Rune

• View Profile
Wow, that was some quick results!

Giannis, you have to understand that the blockchain can only offer one deal: A paid delegate. If you apply to become one, you will be expected to work primarily on bitshares, although currently as the delegate pay only covers a part time job I guess you can work on bitshares in your "paid time" and work on other coins in your "spare time". But you need to convince shareholders in your application that you are loyal primarily to them, or they will not trust you as a delegate.

Bitshares is a bit more complicated to have implement into a wallet, at least if you plan to implement name registration and decentralized exchange features. As a developer you will be able to research the potential of bitshares, use your own knowledge to determine how it can best be implemented on mobile (probably through your existing platform), and then turn the whole thing into a pitch for a delegate application to the community. If you are skilled and trustworthy, and you are willing to do your best, then the market will consider you profitable and vote you in as a delegate.

Offline Troglodactyl

• View Profile
Hello all,

Let me introduce myself, I am Giannis Dzegoutanis, founder of the Coinomi universal wallet. It is native Android wallet that give users the control of their private keys by using a deterministic key chain (BIP44 standard). The current version in the Play Stores supports only BTC, LTC and DOGE, while the beta that will be publicly released this Monday will add support for 5 more coins.

I have been watching the BitsharesX from the time of ProtoShares and I like what you are doing. The BitUSD asset is something that the community needs right now (along with similar efforts like NuBits).

Coinomi could benefit BitsharesX by providing a simple to use, mobile wallet and BitsharesX could help Coinomi by acting as an angel investor. With the founds gathered, our team will develop native versions for various platforms like iOS, WP, and the 3 desktop OSes. Everything is obviously open source.

Here are some screenshots of the latest Android version:

If you want to try the beta yourself, follow the instructions here posted on the Coinomi google groups newsletter (sorry, the forum does not allow me to post external links)
I would like to hear your feedback, usability complains, ideas, etc!

Sincerely,

Giannis

Welcome, Giannis!

We could use more mobile developers around here.  How familiar are you with BitShares tech already?  Are you looking to be employed directly by the blockchain?

Offline erasmospunk

• View Profile
Hello all,

Let me introduce myself, I am Giannis Dzegoutanis, founder of the Coinomi universal wallet. It is native Android wallet that give users the control of their private keys by using a deterministic key chain (BIP44 standard). The current version in the Play Stores supports only BTC, LTC and DOGE, while the beta that will be publicly released this Monday will add support for 5 more coins.

I have been watching the BitsharesX from the time of ProtoShares and I like what you are doing. The BitUSD asset is something that the community needs right now (along with similar efforts like NuBits).

Coinomi could benefit BitsharesX by providing a simple to use, mobile wallet and BitsharesX could help Coinomi by acting as an angel investor. With the founds gathered, our team will develop native versions for various platforms like iOS, WP, and the 3 desktop OSes. Everything is obviously open source.

Here are some screenshots of the latest Android version:

If you want to try the beta yourself, follow the instructions here posted on the Coinomi google groups newsletter (sorry, the forum does not allow me to post external links)
I would like to hear your feedback, usability complains, ideas, etc!

Sincerely,

Giannis

Offline hpenvy

• View Profile
Don't say "first person" because there are already about 5 individuals being funded by BTS.

Yes, we now have elected 6 paid delegates.

But we can definitely say "be one of the first people ever hired by a blockchain!"

The message was changed to being one of the first.

http://www.reddit.com/r/CryptoCurrency/comments/2nouij/make_2500_a_month_being_one_of_the_first_persons/

As a reminder, this was just a test case. We didn't even hit the marketing lists yet.  I'm working with Bitmarket to create an AMA and Google Hangout inviting new people outside the community to discuss how it all works.  For our marketing and devs, please touch base with Bitmarket.
=============
btsx address: hpenvy
Tips appreciated for good work

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander
Don't say "first person" because there are already about 5 individuals being funded by BTS.

Yes, we now have elected 6 paid delegates.

But we can definitely say "be one of the first people ever hired by a blockchain!"
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline jsidhu

• View Profile
I'm adding mail to the desktop wallet. I'd like to use that for the lightweight wallet.   I am anxious to use the jslib code and mature it.  The web wallet will need to become a little more modular so we can reuse parts for the phone/web or desktop.
Why not just use bootstrap or something and do a mobile frontend for that and use jslib? That way its same code just different frontend?
Hired by blockchain | Developer
delegate: dev.sidhujag