Author Topic: Perhaps stupid question: Where is the music stored?  (Read 5629 times)

Offline sschechter

• View Profile
P2P solutions would be CCN (Content Centric Networking) which unfortunately is still something for the future. Till then Peertracks will provide the song storage and streaming, though any song/entity on the blockchain will be able to be associated with any external data source, not just peertracks'.
we not couple this with bittorrent .. and whoever HAS the file can only (crypto signed) push the file to someone else if the other party has the rights (blockchain secured) to own that file?

maybe we can come up with a crypto scheme for that .. I need to thing about it ..

what about storj?
Both Maidsafe and storej are close to Content Centric Networking. Maidsafe's self encryption looks very promising and we hope they achieve their goals.

For now we are already using several (well reasoned) assumptions and technologies. Integrating even more unproven tech puts the project on moving ground, quicksand.

Whatever happens with CCN in the future, BSM and Peertracks will be able to utilize it.

makes sense. centralized servers are tried and true. good call.

The only answer that should be given is whatever costs the least for the network.  There is no risk of Peertracks shutting down and running away with everyone's music, like they were individual coins. If a decentralized distribution costs more, or hasn't even been released yet (Maidsafe, Storaj), it is irrelevant.
BTSX: sschechter
PTS: PvBUyPrDRkJLVXZfvWjdudRtQgv1Fcy5Qe

merockstar

P2P solutions would be CCN (Content Centric Networking) which unfortunately is still something for the future. Till then Peertracks will provide the song storage and streaming, though any song/entity on the blockchain will be able to be associated with any external data source, not just peertracks'.
we not couple this with bittorrent .. and whoever HAS the file can only (crypto signed) push the file to someone else if the other party has the rights (blockchain secured) to own that file?

maybe we can come up with a crypto scheme for that .. I need to thing about it ..

what about storj?
Both Maidsafe and storej are close to Content Centric Networking. Maidsafe's self encryption looks very promising and we hope they achieve their goals.

For now we are already using several (well reasoned) assumptions and technologies. Integrating even more unproven tech puts the project on moving ground, quicksand.

Whatever happens with CCN in the future, BSM and Peertracks will be able to utilize it.

makes sense. centralized servers are tried and true. good call.

Offline bitsapphire

what about storj?

Register and get your personal Moonstone Wallet Beta here: https://moonstone.io/login-register.html

merockstar

what about storj?

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc

Offline bitsapphire

Register and get your personal Moonstone Wallet Beta here: https://moonstone.io/login-register.html

Offline christo

• View Profile
Maybe I should rephrase. Isn't there a peer to peer solution to what the servers provide? Right now BitTorrent shows that distribution is essentially free. Musicians don't have to host it themselves if they'd rather pay Peertracks but plenty of people would host music, again as BitTorrent shows.

Offline sschechter

• View Profile
I think this is a good question. Why should there be servers at all?

Because having artists host their own music creates a giant barrier of entry that no other service has.  Doing this would be suicide.
BTSX: sschechter
PTS: PvBUyPrDRkJLVXZfvWjdudRtQgv1Fcy5Qe

Offline christo

• View Profile
I think this is a good question. Why should there be servers at all?

Offline LiquidStorm

• Bitshares All the way
    • View Profile
How about eventually storing on MAIDSAFE?  More decentralized & could be cheaper.  Bitshares DNS could be involved too.

Soon people will be able to provide and read/listen/watch whatever content they want, wherever they are. Incentives are aligning to enable freedom across the globe. +5%

+5%
BTSX: liquid

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
How about eventually storing on MAIDSAFE?  More decentralized & could be cheaper.  Bitshares DNS could be involved too.

Soon people will be able to provide and read/listen/watch whatever content they want, wherever they are. Incentives are aligning to enable freedom across the globe. +5%

Offline kingslanding

• View Profile
BTS username/address:   kingslanding9999

Offline Lilith81

• View Profile

Offline oco101

• View Profile
Hey mic9,

welcome to the BitShares community.

From my understanding the details are not available/published yet. But IIRC the first product (peertracks) will have a streaming platform available .. so my guess would be that (as you pay a little fee to peertracks) .. that they will host the servers for that .. Not sure if if remember correctly, but in one of the mumble dev hangout sessions cob told us about needing these fees to pay for legal and servers ...

I don't think musicians will be required to run servers .. that doesn't make too much sense ..

Music will be hosted by Peertracks server that is for sure. Artist does not need to do nothing besides opening an account and uploading the music on Peertracks and of course issuing Artiscoins . As for the fees this is still up in the air fee or not fee, but my guess is there will be some kinds of fees.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 02:28:23 pm by oco101 »

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Hey mic9,

welcome to the BitShares community.

From my understanding the details are not available/published yet. But IIRC the first product (peertracks) will have a streaming platform available .. so my guess would be that (as you pay a little fee to peertracks) .. that they will host the servers for that .. Not sure if if remember correctly, but in one of the mumble dev hangout sessions cob told us about needing these fees to pay for legal and servers ...

I don't think musicians will be required to run servers .. that doesn't make too much sense ..