Author Topic: best way to secure someone who is bad with computers?  (Read 1014 times)

merockstar

I'd have a hard time to come up with a less secure OS for computer illiterate people than Windows to be honest.

I'm maintaining quite a few systems for people who pationately refuse to learn anything about pc's and I've put them all on linux to prevent myself from going insane. If you are already using virtual machines why not just use a vm with ubuntu inside then? Trouble is that if the main system is still windows than it is still insecure.

How about this, why not make a usb-stick ubuntu os with just the bitcoin/bitshares wallets? Plus a backup ofcourse. That should be pretty secure for just about anyone.

good idea! I might try that.

Offline JoeyD

I'd have a hard time to come up with a less secure OS for computer illiterate people than Windows to be honest.

I'm maintaining quite a few systems for people who pationately refuse to learn anything about pc's and I've put them all on linux to prevent myself from going insane. If you are already using virtual machines why not just use a vm with ubuntu inside then? Trouble is that if the main system is still windows than it is still insecure.

How about this, why not make a usb-stick ubuntu os with just the bitcoin/bitshares wallets? Plus a backup ofcourse. That should be pretty secure for just about anyone.

merockstar

Okay so because I have trouble not talking about crypto, I've gotten a friend of mine interested in Bitcoin and BitShares.

Bitcoin is easy for me to secure for him, since paper wallets are easy to make.

I'm still a little intimidated by the paper wallet process for BitShares though. I think it might be better to let him use a wallet.

Which means, for the sake of simplicity, I should just give him a Bitcoin wallet too.

But I'm having so much trouble with his computer. It's a not brand new, but relatively new Gateway, and Windows 8.1 gave me a weird error when I tried to install Ubuntu in a virtual box.

Had a hell of a time trying to get it to dual boot.

But gave up on that, and, upon reflection, if I ever weren't there and something went wrong with a Linux OS, he'd be screwed.

So maybe Windows is a better choice. I'm thinking I'm going to try Windows in a virtualbox (or dual boot) now, since that'd be easier for him to maintain. and just tell him not to use this windows for anything but crypto and stocks.

But I'm windows illiterate. What is the best version to use? What is the best antivirus software? what is the best malware scanner these days?

Do you guys have any suggestions for helping somebody who understands the economics, but has the computer knowledge of a grandma?