Author Topic: Technical Delegates Real Time Chat  (Read 10597 times)

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
could we use the BTS wallets mail option in the near future?
(imagine they adding a future  like sending encrypted mail messages via the bts wallet to a group with contact names...it should be easy to implement)

Offline svk

About mumble as an option:
Mumble is great for real-time conversations but is too engaging for the idea I have in mind. Mumble sessions with delegates is a good thing but isn't on the topic at all.
It requires additional software/servers and more attention from all the participants.

I don't understand your objection, perhaps because I don't know your final objectives. Why you say its not on topic.

There is already a mumble server, you don't need another one.  Many of us already have the software.  Nearly all the options require some software, right?

if we were to use mumble, it wouldn't be like the 'sessions' we have with BM .  I think there would just be a private room that only delegates have access to.  You can create your own private room and only people you invite could join the conversation.

I don't want to give the impression that I'm pushing for mumble, I'm not, just trying to understand your objection. 

I think what mumble lacks is video, as well as a simple account messaging system. I can't send a message to someone if they are not connected. I can't request a 'hangout' within the system if people aren't connect. etc.  so it seems it may not be ideal.

Mumble requires full attention of the attendants. If you are not listening the entire time you will miss the point. Mumble is great for scheduled (short) sessions. However even if you record the session getting all essential information quickly isn't an easy option. I think mumble is a good thing and should be used but not in the scenario I have in mind.

Here is a possible scenario :
DDoS attack against some nodes or transaction flood attack. One of the exchanges changes its API so most of the price feeds fail to update (that actually happens). Basically anything that impairs BTS performance.
The Real Time Chat should allow for instant notification and initial troubleshooting of the issue. And all conversations should be logged so that delegates that come in later can understand quickly what is going on. Mumble is not suitable for that. Mail is only a little better than the forum.

Such solution should have IM capabilities and a mobile client and of course chat log.

Agreed. I'd never heard of Slack but looked it up and it looks very nice and seems to fit the bill. Another issue for me with Skype btw is that it's nigh impossible to install on Ubuntu 64 bit, I can't get it working on my current installation.

bitshares.slack.com is taken, is it used by the dev team already or did someone else register it?
Worker: dev.bitsharesblocks

Offline emski

• View Profile
    • http://lnkd.in/nPbhxG
Mumble is great for real-time conversations but is too engaging for the idea I have in mind. Mumble sessions with delegates is a good thing but isn't on the topic at all.
It requires additional software/servers and more attention from all the participants.

I don't understand your objection, perhaps because I don't know your final objectives. Why you say its not on topic.

There is already a mumble server, you don't need another one.  Many of us already have the software.  Nearly all the options require some software, right?

if we were to use mumble, it wouldn't be like the 'sessions' we have with BM .  I think there would just be a private room that only delegates have access to.  You can create your own private room and only people you invite could join the conversation.

I don't want to give the impression that I'm pushing for mumble, I'm not, just trying to understand your objection. 

I think what mumble lacks is video, as well as a simple account messaging system. I can't send a message to someone if they are not connected. I can't request a 'hangout' within the system if people aren't connect. etc.  so it seems it may not be ideal.

Mumble requires full attention of the attendants. If you are not listening the entire time you will miss the point. Mumble is great for scheduled (short) sessions. However even if you record the session getting all essential information quickly isn't an easy option. I think mumble is a good thing and should be used but not in the scenario I have in mind.

Here is a possible scenario :
DDoS attack against some nodes or transaction flood attack. One of the exchanges changes its API so most of the price feeds fail to update (that actually happens). Basically anything that impairs BTS performance.
The Real Time Chat should allow for instant notification and initial troubleshooting of the issue. And all conversations should be logged so that delegates that come in later can understand quickly what is going on. Mumble is not suitable for that. Mail is only a little better than the forum.

Such solution should have IM capabilities and a mobile client and of course chat log.

Offline Pheonike

Any option should also have a good mobile client (android/ios).

Offline Riverhead

What about a mumble/(email or IM) combo. Email/IM invites to a mumble session.

Xeldal

Offline cube

• Bit by bit, we will get there!
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: bitcube
I can go for anything but preferably lightweight and does not eat up ton of RAM.
ID: bitcube
bitcube is a dedicated witness and committe member. Please vote for bitcube.

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
You have to increase votes! I added Tox and XMPP and increase max. votes to 3!

Thanks! I cannot increase the votes count after I've created the poll. Could an admin do something about this ?

done :)
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline emski

• View Profile
About the mail as an option:
This forum is better than a mailing list.
What I suggested is a real-time communication.
More like a permanent channel where all delegates will hang out and whenever an important issue arises it will be quickly communicated.

Offline emski

• View Profile

Thanks! I cannot increase the votes count after I've created the poll. Could an admin do something about this ?

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
can we have a "multi-select" poll?!

//edit: can you also add "tox" and "XMPP" pls?!
The list is kind of a mix of software and protocols
XMPP is a protocol, and a protocol is really more what I think we're trying to agree on.?
Having Jitsi and XMPP is kind of redundant. kind of. (Jitsi is more than just XMPP)

If we agreed on XMPP we wouldn't need to agree on software. Use whatever you want.

Here's a big list of clients that use XMPP : http://xmpp.org/xmpp-software/clients/

I think mumble is probably the easiest solution as we already use it, but lacks some convenience features found in other packages, that may or may not be necessary.
You are absolutely right ..

I didn't know jitsi uses xmpp ..

Offline ripplexiaoshan

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: jademont
Tencent qq, for all of the delegates from Chinese community. Mumble is the second most popular way.
BTS committee member:jademont

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline emski

• View Profile

I tried to set multi-select pool after I created it but this option is not available.

Xeldal

The list is kind of a mix of software and protocols
XMPP is a protocol, and a protocol is really more what I think we're trying to agree on.?
Having Jitsi and XMPP is kind of redundant. kind of. (Jitsi is more than just XMPP)

If we agreed on XMPP we wouldn't need to agree on software. Use whatever you want.

Here's a big list of clients that use XMPP : http://xmpp.org/xmpp-software/clients/

I think mumble is probably the easiest solution as we already use it, but lacks some convenience features found in other packages, that may or may not be necessary.