Author Topic: Token Controlled Access + DACs = voluntary communism?  (Read 1618 times)

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit
Wait what?!

Haha ok this might need some explanation. I was thinking about token controlled access last night and how with the music project, artist will be able to offer perks to anyone that holds their respective artist tokens.
If you have 10 tokens you get 20% off all merch and music. if you have 50 tokens you have 50% off, 100 tokens and everything is free, 150 tokens are you are a VIP member, you get to go to concerts, you can see new stuff early, and have access to the classic showercam ^^

Now I started thinking about big businesses using this concept. I'm sorry if this subject was covered to death already but I've been a bit busy with the Music project these past months!
So anyway, big firms, yeah. Imagine an insurance company that uses this principle. The firms has it's regular price for medical insurance, says 100$/month. But token holders get a discount. Say 1 token = 1% discount on your premium. People would no doubt like to have free health insurance and so people might scramble to get 100 tokens. This means TONS of capital flowing into that market. You essentially opted in to "universal healthcare" no monthly costs, just buy and hold. Whenever you are moving abroad or switching companies, you can actually sell your coverage. a satoshi at a time if you want. There would be a market value for your insurance tokens.

It doesn't have to be one size fits all either. Smokers might need 110 tokens to be covered, if they stop smoking, it's back to 100, they can then sell off 10 of their tokens on the market to whoever wants health care discounts.

So that lead me to blockchain communism lol

What if a company called communism inc. basically did this. If you hold our "Communism INC token" you get taken care of.
You have x tokens, you get 10% all health insurance, public transportation, grocery store bills, etc.
If you have y tokens, you get 50%.
And of course if you have z tokens, you are part 100% taken care off and so are you spouse(s) and kids.

This btw is pure brainstorming. Holes everywhere I know but let's pick everybody's brain here.

Say you had a DAC that did something like this.
I don't know how it would work but it's an interesting thought.

I wonder how the economics would work. Say everyone wanted 100% health coverage. It would make the tokens skyrocket for sure, and I'm sure those that are healthy would probably cash out instead of keeping all those tokens while in real good health. It would be a mechanism to see who wants health care the most. A kind of rationing system for scarce ressource.
Now one thing I haven't thought through at all is the income of that company. If everyone just buys the token, how does the insurance company make $? Sure their market cap is going through the roof but how are they paying off the bills.
I think that's where dilution comes into play. If the company is a DAC or plugged to a DAC, it could dilute and sell some new tokens on the open market to fund operations.

Anyone want to take it over from here? I'd love to see a discussion about this. I must be missing something!

This isn't new. It's token based access control made possible through micropayments.

Probably a bad idea for you to use the word "communism" as this may have very negative political connotations. You should instead try using a word like collaborative access control or microdistribution channels.

Anyway beyond the wording of it I think these ideas are good and have been calling for them for a long time. I think forums should and could also use token based access control as well to prevent spammers or to let only VIPs access certain communications channels. I think also there could be badges and all sorts of honorific titles which can be non-transferable on the blockchain that get distributed according to what you've done.

So I hope you take a careful look at all of these different techniques. Generally they are classified as gamification techniques but they can be utilized to mobilize fandom networks by turning it into a sort of serious game where fans win reputation, honorable titles, VIP access, and more according to how effective they are.

This way we can turn fans into distributors and promoters with all kinds of perks which come with that.

Oh yeah and also another topic I discussed privately and on the forum is the idea of conditional rebates. So I think what you're trying to do could be accomplished by using conditional rebates. Combine conditional rebates, gamification, reputation and honorific titles and I think you can achieve a lot. I'll explain the rest privately.

Reference
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conditional_Rebate
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 10:57:08 pm by luckybit »
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
Wait what?!

Haha ok this might need some explanation. I was thinking about token controlled access last night and how with the music project, artist will be able to offer perks to anyone that holds their respective artist tokens.
If you have 10 tokens you get 20% off all merch and music. if you have 50 tokens you have 50% off, 100 tokens and everything is free, 150 tokens are you are a VIP member, you get to go to concerts, you can see new stuff early, and have access to the classic showercam ^^

Now I started thinking about big businesses using this concept. I'm sorry if this subject was covered to death already but I've been a bit busy with the Music project these past months!
So anyway, big firms, yeah. Imagine an insurance company that uses this principle. The firms has it's regular price for medical insurance, says 100$/month. But token holders get a discount. Say 1 token = 1% discount on your premium. People would no doubt like to have free health insurance and so people might scramble to get 100 tokens. This means TONS of capital flowing into that market. You essentially opted in to "universal healthcare" no monthly costs, just buy and hold. Whenever you are moving abroad or switching companies, you can actually sell your coverage. a satoshi at a time if you want. There would be a market value for your insurance tokens.

It doesn't have to be one size fits all either. Smokers might need 110 tokens to be covered, if they stop smoking, it's back to 100, they can then sell off 10 of their tokens on the market to whoever wants health care discounts.

What if a company called communism inc. basically did this. If you hold our "Communism INC token" you get taken care of.
You have x tokens, you get 10% all health insurance, public transportation, grocery store bills, etc.
And of course if you have z tokens, you are part 100% taken care off and so are you spouse(s) and kids.

This btw is pure brainstorming. Holes everywhere I know but let's pick everybody's brain here.

I wonder how the economics would work. Say everyone wanted 100% health coverage. It would make the tokens skyrocket for sure, and I'm sure those that are healthy would probably cash out instead of keeping all those tokens while in real good health. It would be a mechanism to see who wants health care the most. A kind of rationing system for scarce ressource.
Now one thing I haven't thought through at all is the income of that company. If everyone just buys the token, how does the insurance company make $? Sure their market cap is going through the roof but how are they paying off the bills.
I think that's where dilution comes into play. If the company is a DAC or plugged to a DAC, it could dilute and sell some new tokens on the open market to fund operations.

Anyone want to take it over from here? I'd love to see a discussion about this. I must be missing something!
What is the difference between holding tokens and paying insurance fees?
The reason why insurance fees are monthly is because one buys coverage for a certain period of time (a month for example). That does not seem to be covered by your approach.
Are you aware of BitShares Insurance? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouKj2Bh4YLo

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
It's thoughtful. The economics could work out, but health insurance would be an expensive one to start with. Maybe call it a cooperative? That's really what insurance --without the profit -- should be.

Perhaps start by having a community with the tokens and then invite some businesses to test run it by offering discounts to that community. In exchange, those businesses would get tokens. That would establish some value. Add some more businesses and go from there. Maybe eventually, a businesses would feel comfortable turning to the community for 100% of its client base and revenue stream.

Coupon consensus?

Offline cob

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: cobb
Wait what?!

« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 09:33:28 pm by cob »
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.