Author Topic: Be the first person in history to get hired by a blockchain!  (Read 12072 times)

Offline Rune

• View Profile
I had this basic idea down as an article to write for marketing for a while, been meaning to write it but got overloaded with other stuff.  I didn't tie it to a specific job opening though, thats marketing gold dust  +5%.  I thought it would just generally attract developer interest and get a load of press (that being hired by a blockchain is now a thing).

I could write a pop-tech slant version which would be just the kind of thing tech blogs like i09, wired, boing boing, etc would publish.  HPenvy's list of journalist contacts could be utilised.  Why not pay for a press release?  This is a big deal.  I was going to write about DPOS + the blockchain now being able to hire people, but this is a more distilled idea.

The details of the exact job requirement should be posted somewhere.  Then even though in reality we want devs of many types, it will be more mainstream accessible to call it a specific job opening to work for a blockchain.

Yes, press release is a great idea. How much would it cost if we target the crypto/tech demographic?

Exact details of the job would be a good idea, we could probably do that simply as a sticky forum post in the delegate forum, since that's where they will post their delegate applications anyway. However it's only really toast, bytemaster or some other dev who'd be able to do that. We can ask them to do it once we have the rest organized.

Offline matt608

• View Profile
I had this basic idea down as an article to write for marketing for a while, been meaning to write it but got overloaded with other stuff.  I didn't tie it to a specific job opening though, thats marketing gold dust  +5%.  I thought it would just generally attract developer interest and get a load of press (that being hired by a blockchain is now a thing).

I could write a pop-tech slant version which would be just the kind of thing tech blogs like i09, wired, boing boing, etc would publish.  HPenvy's list of journalist contacts could be utilised.  Why not pay for a press release?  This is a big deal.  I was going to write about DPOS + the blockchain now being able to hire people, but this is a more distilled idea.

The details of the exact job requirement should be posted somewhere.  Then even though in reality we want devs of many types, it will be more mainstream accessible to call it a specific job opening to work for a blockchain.

Offline onceuponatime

Getting an external dev to do this is a waste of resources. The marketing is maybe worth it, but we can already use Zach Lym for that. I don't see anyone rushing to make a PR that we potentially poached a namecoin dev.

We have the talent, but BM decided that having them build FMV's demo is the best use of their time right now. Maybe focus your effort on getting dan and adam to justify that cost and explain how their master plan for getting voters registered on BTS is worth the risk...

The marketing would almost certainly be worth it IMO. Marketing to the tech savvy is at the moment what is going to increase the market cap and hence the delegates pay. The major marketing to the masses has to await developments like this.

Besides that, there is another advantage in potential convergences. If Satoshi Labs undertook it, they might also incorporate BTS into Trezor thus making cold storage more accessible to the technically challenged such as myself. Other outside teams may have similar symbiotic potentials.

Offline Rune

• View Profile
Getting an external dev to do this is a waste of resources. The marketing is maybe worth it, but we can already use Zach Lym for that. I don't see anyone rushing to make a PR that we potentially poached a namecoin dev.

We have the talent, but BM decided that having them build FMV's demo is the best use of their time right now. Maybe focus your effort on getting dan and adam to justify that cost and explain how their master plan for getting voters registered on BTS is worth the risk...

I pitched this to Dan on a conference call yesterday. He liked the idea because there are minimal resources to develop a mobile wallet. This will also attract a broader array of talent for other projects. But if you think there is free talent available now or in the near future I can't argue with that.

Good to hear. I agree with the strategy overall. But, if you want to pump blockchain hiring devs news, pump Zach Lym, don't wait for something "better". If you want to hire devs, it'll be easier to get web devs for all the infrastructure stuff we need.

I guess let's start by identifying all the roles we need filled.

I'm totally ready to pump zach lym!! The only reason why I havent yet been wiping this in the bitcoiners' face (okay I won't, I'll be civil) is because I thought it wasn't yet a done deal. I thought making a big deal about having poached him while it wasn't yet certain would increase the probability that he would choose not to join us. And it is a big story and going to be huge for our value, but having our stakeholder community "autonomously" headhunting and hiring new developers will be a big scoop too that we shouldn't pass up.

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code
  • BitShares: methodx
What we need is a bounty delegate who will post the appropriate bounties on an as needed basis. It's the difference between hiring an employee and a contractor. The "be the first person in history to get hired by a blockchain" is intended to kill two birds with one stone:

1. Genuine publicity
2. Gets a valuable thing done

That is/was my thought process.

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai

I pitched this to Dan on a conference call yesterday. He liked the idea because there are minimal resources to develop a mobile wallet. This will also attract a broader array of talent for other projects. But if you think there is free talent available now or in the near future I can't argue with that.

Good to hear. I agree with the strategy overall. But, if you want to pump blockchain hiring devs news, pump Zach Lym, don't wait for something "better". If you want to hire devs, it'll be easier to get web devs for all the infrastructure stuff we need.

I guess let's start by identifying all the roles we need filled.
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline Rune

• View Profile

We can never get too much top talent, besides we want to have more than one mobile wallet anyway. This is the perfect way to get a fresh wave of the kind of early adopters we still lack to get on board and get excited enough to actively help with making our launch a massive success. Everyone loves making history!

Offline vegolino

• Reality is Information
    • View Profile
I like the idea, but we should not pay more than single delegate pay.

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code

Offline Rune

• View Profile

I thought he was going to work on DNS?

Anyway, getting an external dev to do this is absolutely worth the resources due to PR reasons as you mentioned, because the ability to autonomously hire developers is the most valuable feature any blockchain has ever had. People will see this, and they will realize that we are going to get ALL the top talent, and there's no way it can be prevented or averted, because we pay for talent, and we pay well.

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai

We have the talent, but BM decided that having them build FMV's demo is the best use of their time right now. Maybe focus your effort on getting dan and adam to justify that cost and explain how their master plan for getting voters registered on BTS is worth the risk...    nvm maybe I have less insight into this than I thought... will ask on monday
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 09:21:13 pm by toast »
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code
 +5% Awesome! Can't wait to see the community begin organizing this.

Offline onceuponatime

Yes, I can see this working. I'm sure that Mycelium, for one, would be interested.
Maybe Trezor's Satoshi Labs would be interested too though they don't have running start Android wallet experience.

Offline Rune

• View Profile
MethodX had this excellent idea that I want to get as many people on board with helping as possible.

The core team is busy making bitshares the most advanced blockchain protocol on the planet, and monsterer and shentist are going to make what looks like a really sexy and functional online wallet, but we currently have no one working on developing a mobile bitshares wallet that can be ready for 1.0. This is a pretty big problem since a mobile wallet is a necessary piece of infrastructure. Without it, we don't have a product.

Luckily, DPOS has the answers to this - we can hire someone as a paid delegate to develop it. And while we're at it, why not inform the world just how big an event it is that a blockchain is now able to autonomously hire its own developers. It's really mindblowing when you think about it, and everyone needs to know this.

I want to gather support for holding a headhunting event. The world's first decentralized job (maybe someone can come up with a better name?). Over the next 2 weeks to a month, we are going to make crypto history by having the bitshares blockchain autonomously evaluate and hire its own mobile wallet developer, through the power of cryptography + its community of stakeholders. I know we actually have several paid delegates, so calling this the world first is kinda cheating, but they're from inside our community so I think it's fair to still make this into a big event and call it "world first" to maximize the attention it will give to BTS ;)

We want to coordinate posting/upvoting this on every bitcoin an altcoin website some day next week (which day is most suitable to attract the most attention?), framing it as a historic step forward for blockchain technology and cryptocurrency, and as proof that there is a bright and amazing future ahead in the blockchain industry. All we want to do is to invite mobile wallet developers to post delegate applications, and then let the community choose the best of them. It might be one or several, every awesome developer we manage to hire will massively increase the value of BTS in the long run. Our targets will be people who can either prove that they are absolutely amazing at making android apps, or developers of existing bitcoin/altcoin wallets.

(now this is my personal opinion and might be controversial, it doesn't have to necessarily be this way) I think to make sure we really make a big impact and get some serious attention, we should allow the "winner" to make several delegates. If we can get a bitcoin superstar developer with an amazing working wallet (think mycelium or electrum or something like that), we should be ready to offer them a competetive salary, perhaps up to 4 100% paid delegates (8000 USD per month, which is still not that great a salary). Obviously this would have the requirement that the delegates get voted out again as the market cap increases, and will only be to make the initial headhunting event absolutely irresistable for all the top developers in the industry. And it will be a one time thing that will never happen ever again, with only THE SINGLE BEST DEVELOPER IN THE ENTIRE CRYPTO INDUSTRY who signs up with a delegate application that will be allowed this (They can never beat our genius developer team who are already working on the client of course, but they already have their AGS golden eggs), so we will still have 97 people running our DPOS system, keeping it just as decentralized and resilient as before.

Edit: to clarify this multi-delegate thing as our grand prize. I think it would make a really big difference if we have this "there can be only one grand prize" thing, but it should only apply for the current market cap and shouldnt become some runaway insane salary. So until the developer is down to only 1 delegate their monthly salary should not be allowed to cross 8000 USD, and they should agree to reduce their pay rate whenever it does so they hit approximately 8k.

If we do this right, it could be the catalyst that brings bitshares on everyones mind.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 10:52:50 pm by Rune »