Author Topic: Be the first person in history to get hired by a blockchain!  (Read 12170 times)

Offline monsterer

I like "headhunted by a blockchain". Even though it sounds a bit like a horror-movie :)

That's definitely got an air of Skynet about it!
My opinions do not represent those of metaexchange unless explicitly stated.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline Markus

• View Profile
I like "headhunted by a blockchain". Even though it sounds a bit like a horror-movie :)

Offline Rune

• View Profile
I'd say, don't give people ammunition to shoot you down when you make claims like 'worlds first', otherwise you'll spend a lot of time firefighting and back-tracking instead of discussing the good points.

At the very least, put a * marker around the claim and then in the small print describe the details of why they wouldn't technically be the first.

Good point, everything we say will be used against us. But I think the answer isnt to make a disclaimer, it's to find a good title that ensures we're being honest. "First decentralized job opening" actually seems legit to me. Toast was the worlds first autonomous blockchain employee but we haven't yet hired a delegate through a "job opening, apply now" process, so that still seems very newsworthy and a genuine world first to me.

Offline monsterer

I'd say, don't give people ammunition to shoot you down when you make claims like 'worlds first', otherwise you'll spend a lot of time firefighting and back-tracking instead of discussing the good points.

At the very least, put a * marker around the claim and then in the small print describe the details of why they wouldn't technically be the first.
My opinions do not represent those of metaexchange unless explicitly stated.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline svk

Don't say "first person" because there are already about 5 individuals being funded by BTS.

I already sort of addressed this in the post but I guess I should expand a bit on my reasoning, posting from nullstreet:

When pitching this to the broader community I don't think we should give up or condition the "world first" and "historical" buzzwords, just alter the context. Since people will never have been exposed to this phenomena before it will make sense to them that this is the world first, and if the pitch is epic enough with "make history bla bla" even the bitcoiners will get excited by it. Maybe we should change it to "be the first person in the world to get headhunted by a blockchain!" Or "worlds first blockchain job opening for everyone". Maybe I'm simply wrong, but I think "be one of the first to make history/be one of the world first at x" removes a lot of the buzz from it since it's kinda self contradictory, so for marketing reasons it's better to slightly change the wording of what it is they're world first at.

It will definitely be the world first decentralized community hiring effort anyway, so we're not being dishonest about it being a world first. As long as we are honest we should go for the most epic and eye-catching event name possible, to maximize the attention and value we can get out of it. But let's see what names people can come up with, maybe we can find something everyone likes.

Agreed, "headhunted" is good in my opinion, you can also spin the fact that it's the first "outsider" I suppose.
Worker: dev.bitsharesblocks

Offline Rune

• View Profile
Don't say "first person" because there are already about 5 individuals being funded by BTS.

I already sort of addressed this in the post but I guess I should expand a bit on my reasoning, posting from nullstreet:

When pitching this to the broader community I don't think we should give up or condition the "world first" and "historical" buzzwords, just alter the context. Since people will never have been exposed to this phenomena before it will make sense to them that this is the world first, and if the pitch is epic enough with "make history bla bla" even the bitcoiners will get excited by it. Maybe we should change it to "be the first person in the world to get headhunted by a blockchain!" Or "worlds first blockchain job opening for everyone". Maybe I'm simply wrong, but I think "be one of the first to make history/be one of the world first at x" removes a lot of the buzz from it since it's kinda self contradictory, so for marketing reasons it's better to slightly change the wording of what it is they're world first at.

It will definitely be the world first decentralized community hiring effort anyway, so we're not being dishonest about it being a world first. As long as we are honest we should go for the most epic and eye-catching event name possible, to maximize the attention and value we can get out of it. But let's see what names people can come up with, maybe we can find something everyone likes.

Offline BTSdac

• View Profile
  • BitShares: K1

Yeah I know, one of the first people. We've been discussing that on nullstreet. You should come join us bytemaster :)
we can say first company  +5%
github.com :pureland
BTS2.0 API :ws://139.196.37.179:8091
BTS2.0 API 数据源ws://139.196.37.179:8091

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
+5% for the OP ...
we should push a press release onto BTT, reddit and maybe even coindesk et al.

Offline jsidhu

• View Profile
I worked with bitcoinj to make a devcoinj and android devcoin wallet.. ofcourse devcoin is merge-mined so I had to add in merge mining header parsing to the wallet, and it worked in SPV mode... it was a cool learning experience.. I know it's doable but have to wonder really how long it would take me versus someone like Andreas Schildbach who designed the thing... however the hard part will be to understand the differences between the bitcoin and bitshares protocols and figure out if bitcoinj can be a starting point (less time) or start from scratch (longer dev cycle)

https://github.com/sidhujag/devcoin-android

I guess the obvious question is, would it be a full node or a thin wallet (SPV)? because in SPV you just have to parse and read blocks/sign tx's which makes the job alot easier. If it's the later then it kinda falls in-line with what I did with merge mining which was just follow a spec to ensure proper parsing and header verification.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 07:57:14 am by jsidhu »
Hired by blockchain | Developer
delegate: dev.sidhujag

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code
  • BitShares: methodx
I guess 'first person hired' has been taken.

What about 'first person sponsored' by a blockchain.

The blockchain could specifically sponsor the something/someone guaranteed to generate the most publicity & notoriety for BitShares.

+5% I'll give this more thought. Could be a future hook if this succeeds.

Offline Empirical1.1

• View Profile
I guess 'first person hired' has been taken.

What about 'first person sponsored' by a blockchain.

The blockchain could specifically sponsor the something/someone guaranteed to generate the most publicity & notoriety for BitShares.

Offline joele

• View Profile
Mobile wallet would be easy if there is a lite version wallet or a web wallet, otherwise the mobile developer needs to create first either of the two.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 04:28:19 am by joele »

Offline hpenvy

• View Profile
"Ok great, best of both worlds. 'BTS continues to aggressively pursue top talent - be one of the first devs hired by a blockchain!'" - Toast

MeTHoDx suggested 'one of the first' since that's more accurate and still has impact.  We're hashing out some release ideas on Nullstreet, there's a handful of people that are interested in contributing to the PR rough.
=============
btsx address: hpenvy
Tips appreciated for good work

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code
  • BitShares: methodx

Yeah I know, one of the first people. We've been discussing that on nullstreet. You should come join us bytemaster :)

Offline bytemaster

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.