Author Topic: Hard Questions for Bytemaster  (Read 32897 times)

Offline Mysto

• View Profile
Will the official marketing team be allowed to start before the end of this month, as has been quoted so many times in the past?

A better question to ask is...
"Will a nice wallet and protocol v1 be done before the end of this month?"

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander
Will the official marketing team be allowed to start before the end of this month, as has been quoted so many times in the past?

Sadly I think we have to wait for 1.0, which bytemaster said might be out by the end of the year (optimistically), but more realistically will be January.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline Gentso1

• View Profile
  • BitShares: gentso

Offline Ander

• View Profile
I think that in a week or two, the price will have gone up significantly (again), and people here won't be acting so impatient. ;)
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
We never get things done as fast as we want to.
And we are getting quite used to people reminding us of that.

:)

It's hard to believe how much has been accomplished
(and how much we have been re-reminded)
since I last bumped this classic from Teddy Roosevelt.

https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=171.msg44054#msg44054

There are a lot more doers down in that arena with us now.
The lions are still stalking about, but they are looking a bit worried.

Patience.

Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline Mysto

• View Profile
I can understand people's impatience but I really hope it doesn't cause the marketing team to rush when things are not in place. In the end it should be up to the marketing team to determine when everything is ready (easy enough) for the masses. It is of critical importance that people's restlessness doesn't cause a rush in the marketing campaign. I'm just saying this because there has been so much pressure on them from people who want to see "results".

zerosum

I feel that the 'official' markting team has actually been doing business development activities (forging relationships and partnerships with potential business partners), and not as much 'marketing'.
Text
Text
[/center]

That's all good Stan, but what makes me uneasy is that, we've been hearing this story for quite sometime now. And it seams that the deals have not been sealed yet.

To say nothing about the need to go 'The Sparkly Route'... not that it is not a good idea, but man... this is a long road and makes your post above.... well empty promises, if it is indeed needed.

PS
Please spare me the third party DAC/project narrative, will you?
Cause I really do not have to  learn 'Why  should I  Stop Worrying' or 'Why should I Love Sparkle'.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 10:54:39 pm by tonyk2 »

Offline islandking

• The king of the island
    • View Profile
Freezing funds would destroy the whole concept of Bitshares. The point of a blockchain is to decentralize. We should NEVER intervene.
I've been working on a new electronic cash system that's fully peer-to-peer, with no trusted third party. - Satoshi

Offline ripplexiaoshan

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: jademont
It seems Q1 of 2015 is the due day to check the marketing teams's assignment. :D
BTS committee member:jademont

Offline Ander

• View Profile
I agree with this, we cant just freeze funds as much as I would like to. It will make people lose confidence in the system.

We really cant freeze any funds, ever.  Doing so completely destroys the foundation of what bitshares is built upon, forever.

Offline Stan

• View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
So Brian is paid if BitShares market cap increased, even if 95% of the volume is CNY? I don't think this is reasonable. The USD volume should be the judge.

Eastern Operations received its business development budget in advance with no strings attached - nothing to prove, based on nothing but our confidence that the Chinese team would do well.  We have not been disappointed.   :)

Details have been posted here since before the grant was made:

Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline Stan

• View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
I feel that the 'official' markting team has actually been doing business development activities (forging relationships and partnerships with potential business partners), and not as much 'marketing'.

This was the biggest, most delightful surprise to me when I learned that the Four Marketeers were potent business developers not just clever communicators.  (Not that there is anything wrong with being a clever communicator.)

These guys don't just communicate our message - they help shape it. 

But that's not all they do!

Better than that, they provide feedback to our development process to change our product to make it more marketable - so that they can shape an even better message and communicate that.

They then engineer automated marketing tools (funnels) to help lead potential customers to take some action that moves them one step at a time closer to being one of us.  These are not static web pages, they are loaded with stuff that does stuff to help make the sale.

They are creating tons of content and educational materials and news releases to help people understand what we have to offer.  You've seen a few samples of Max's videos and there are at least 9 more (that I know about) in his queue.   

At the flick of a switch they can reach out and touch hundreds of thousands of email contacts with the specific message targeted to each individuals' demographic group(s) in a way that will lead them into the web of funnels they are constructing.

Then they've gone out and develop key partnerships with other companies that have skills and resources to provide a full service experience to newcomers.  We are building core technologies.  They are literally wiring up the ecosystem around us.

That might be all they do, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Obviously, you don't start driving the herd into your web of funnels until everything is ready to receive them. 

Otherwise, you are not just wasting ammo, you are wasting targets.

As for the alleged "secrecy", there's really no secret - there's just respect for the other partners they have been lining up and negotiating deals with.  Anybody who's done this knows that you don't talk about a deal until its signed - and then you let your partners choose when they are ready to announce it. 

Given that you have agreed to respect that, you can't really talk much about all the other activities that leverage those deals and partnerships and promotions.    You just have to work away behind the scenes on all the moving parts while the engineering team works at changing everything they prototyped from geek-ready to consumer-ready.

And pray that Bytemaster doesn't have another Invictus innovation in the mean time.

:)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 10:26:12 pm by Stan »

Offline hadrian

• View Profile
  • BitShares: hadrian
..The only thing I disagree with is Adams value. I've looked into him and I think he would be a WICKED addition to our marketing effort if he were allowed to participate in an official manner.

Here, 'wicked' means 'very good'. Just to avoid any confusion :)

edited to add:

So Brian is paid if BitShares market cap increased, even if 95% of the volume is CNY? I don't think this is reasonable. The USD volume should be the judge.

This is worth bearing in mind. It's been acknowledged that the Chinese marketing has done well...

Freezing funds is a slippery slope.

Frustration with marketing is nothing new, but things have only been improving. Adam is legit and CAVO is a huge opportunity, Brian's crew is legit but cannot execute until we give them the go-ahead with a nice wallet and protocol v1.

I agree with this, we cant just freeze funds as much as I would like to. It will make people lose confidence in the system...

A slippery slope indeed. Part of the reason people will come into the BitShares ecosystem is to avoid their money being effectively or literally taken from them (or devalued) by 'the system'. This will be hindered if the BitShares ecosystem has demonstrated that it's done exactly this.

It wouldn't be such a disaster if BTS were to be taken back contractually 'off chain' though (rather than being frozen).
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 10:23:27 pm by hadrian »

Offline mitao

• View Profile

Offline Gentso1

• View Profile
  • BitShares: gentso
Freezing funds is a slippery slope.

Frustration with marketing is nothing new, but things have only been improving. Adam is legit and CAVO is a huge opportunity, Brian's crew is legit but cannot execute until we give them the go-ahead with a nice wallet and protocol v1.

I agree with this, we cant just freeze funds as much as I would like to. It will make people lose confidence in the system.

Adam and co have received a large stake but even a quick look at his linked in profile will show he has experience in internet marketing.

Brain and co should be producing by the end of this month according to mumbles and thread posts. He has had time to prepare and is hopefully just literally waiting for a nod to hit us with the "marketing blitz".

Their will always be more features that need to be added but this idea that we need to be feature complete before launching a campaign is getting weaker by the day. Methodx and the board members over at null street have come up with some very solid marketing ideas. These guys are working with a marketing budget of $2500 a month(methodx's delegate) and I believe will start putting the money to work in the immediate with results.

I understand if you do not want to go the Ethereum route and create a ton of hype before anything has been released BUT to not create any hype is foolish.