Author Topic: Long live the social consensus, long live PTS! (Stay tuned)  (Read 18729 times)

Offline FreeTrade

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
I am glad to see people expressing their opinions, but I am holding far more BTS than PTS/AGS and still want to see PTS/AGS exist far into the future.  Otherwise we are not diversifying risk.  We are restricting our investment vehicles in the bitshares ecosystem to 1 single point of failure...and that is a terrible terrible idea.   Why is this value proposition lost?

I agree - I think PTS will be a good DPOS backup in the event one of the more complex BTS features fails in some catastrophic way.
“People should be more sophisticated? How are you gonna get that done?” - Jerry Seinfeld reply to Bill Maher

Offline fuzzy

I think that alphabar and his dev team need to review this thread and realize that they are actually going to hurt the BTS ecosystem. Marketing will hopefully be starting soon and this PTS vs BTS mantra needs to end. Newbies will be really confused about it and it will create a major turn off for adoption.

I would like to hear some good arguments from alphabar on this :)

I really do not see how this hurts BTS.  BTS is a SuperDAC that can (and will) take any technology it thinks will give it the advantage.  It is complex and has many moving parts...however.  This means it is difficult for me to sell to the everyday person. It is also now becoming a more centralizing force.

PTS, on the other hand is simple.  The value proposition is simple and elegant and it works more as an investment in future bitshares-based chains. I think people are thinking more in terms of bitcoin when they look at what they want bitshares to be.  To many (especially those here first), Bitshares is an entire ecosystem that competes with itself to make the best of the best solutions...and the SuperDACs that employ the best of these solutions will become the strongest. 

I am glad to see people expressing their opinions, but I am holding far more BTS than PTS/AGS and still want to see PTS/AGS exist far into the future.  Otherwise we are not diversifying risk.  We are restricting our investment vehicles in the bitshares ecosystem to 1 single point of failure...and that is a terrible terrible idea.   Why is this value proposition lost?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 07:03:58 am by fuzzy »
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline islandking

• The king of the island
    • View Profile
I think that alphabar and his dev team need to review this thread and realize that they are actually going to hurt the BTS ecosystem. Marketing will hopefully be starting soon and this PTS vs BTS mantra needs to end. Newbies will be really confused about it and it will create a major turn off for adoption.

I would like to hear some good arguments from alphabar on this :)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 12:55:45 am by islandking »
I've been working on a new electronic cash system that's fully peer-to-peer, with no trusted third party. - Satoshi

Offline ticklebiscuit

• View Profile
The snapshot must be post November 5th, and post return of PTS from AGS fund...

Will people soon be dumping them?
I'd like to see people keep them.
I did buy some yesterday though!...

I disagree. Invictus' workers deserves to be able to eat stake every damn day and still have money left over for beer.  Let these guys afford steak and beer and then just watch the cool stuff they build!

Offline hadrian

• View Profile
  • BitShares: hadrian
The snapshot must be post November 5th, and post return of PTS from AGS fund...

Will people soon be dumping them?
I'd like to see people keep them.
I did buy some yesterday though!...
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
So it will use 5th november snapshot or not?

If it uses 5th november, I3 gets 400k PTS snapshot, if it uses a later snapshot everyone who donated PTS to the angelfund gets in on it instead.

And if 5 Nov is used, everyone who dumped PTS after 5 Nov would be rewarded with new shares to dump and everyone who bought them would be screwed.
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
So it will use 5th november snapshot or not?

If it uses 5th november, I3 gets 400k PTS snapshot, if it uses a later snapshot everyone who donated PTS to the angelfund gets in on it instead.

Offline fuzzy

Some are arguing that a 0% is a great marketing feature . . . while this is maybe true and seems very appealing, my view is that it is planting the seed of eventual failure.
I agree ... I do not expect enough transactions to pay for the delegates .. not in the short term .. nor in the long term .. PTS is an investment vehicle and not a crypto currency (IMHO)

Agreed.  Rand Paul Coin (Deflationary)---aka RPCD will fit into that spot well as it will have slightly increased tx fees and only 13 delegates.  Keep PTS at the 1% annual inflation rate or it is a new coin...
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline emailtooaj

I do think it makes a lot of sense for developers to pick who to sharedrop too based on the needs of their project.  For some, BTS might be better, for others, PTS.  I think it dependso n what you need: do you need lots of users (sharedrop BTS).  Or do you need a small core of developers (sharedrop PTS).

Would it be safe to assume this might be worth reading between the lines??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sound Editor of Beyondbitcoin Hangouts. Listen to latest here - https://beyondbitcoin.org support the Hangouts! BTS Tri-Fold Brochure https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,15169.0.html
Tip BROWNIE.PTS to EMAILTOOAJ

Offline pc

• View Profile
    • Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko?
  • BitShares: cyrano
We're already discussing the inflation subject in our forum at http://pts.cubeconnex.com/ - I'd prefer if we'd keep this in one place, so if you want to participate in a form you're welcome to join us over there!
Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko? ISBN 978-3-8442-6568-2 http://bitcoin.quisquis.de

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Some are arguing that a 0% is a great marketing feature . . . while this is maybe true and seems very appealing, my view is that it is planting the seed of eventual failure.
I agree ... I do not expect enough transactions to pay for the delegates .. not in the short term .. nor in the long term .. PTS is an investment vehicle and not a crypto currency (IMHO)

Offline FreeTrade

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
There will be no change to the social consensus, the allocation, or anything other than the protocol.

One change you have been advocating is a change to the terminal inflation rate of 1% which was built into PTS PoW to subsidize transaction processors. I think it is wise to keep this too to keep a healthy pool of delegates.

“People should be more sophisticated? How are you gonna get that done?” - Jerry Seinfeld reply to Bill Maher

Offline alphaBar

• View Profile
Sure, let people do what they want.  It's a partly-free country ( :( )...but keeping the same name would be dishonest IMHO because it is not the same "coin" and doesn't represent the same value proposition.

That's a pretty good, solid and quantifiable reason to change the name of PTS to AlphaShares.

+5%

There will be no change to the social consensus, the allocation, or anything other than the protocol. This is simply a badly needed upgrade to PTS, which is now barely producing blocks. After the upgrade, if the community agrees we can discuss a rebrand, but not because this is a "new coin" (which it isn't).

Offline alphaBar

• View Profile
A note regarding our work on the transition of PTS to a standalone DPOS chain:

PTS is alive and well and so is the social consensus. PTS will be the preferred sharedrop instrument of future 3rd party DACs. We have yet to decide whether to use the Nov. 5th snapshot (since a future snapshot may not be possible if mining stops completely), but rest assured that we have a functional testnet, new website and marketing in the works, and an active group of dedicated developers and marketers.

Stay tuned for more information...

@alphBar
How does the "Invictus Innovations to Return PTS Donations" announcement [1] , thereby diluting the existing PTS chain, play into your consideration for use of the 5 November snapshot?  How is the social consensus for PTS(DPOS) impacted by their announcement?

Regards,
Fox

[1] https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=11289.75

I initially proposed the November 5th snapshot date because I was unsure whether we would be able to produce any blocks post-November 5th. Of course with the new announcement I would prefer to include the transactions returning PTS donor's funds.

Offline werneo

• View Profile
    • chronicle of the precession of simulacra
  • BitShares: werneo
Sure, let people do what they want.  It's a partly-free country ( :( )...but keeping the same name would be dishonest IMHO because it is not the same "coin" and doesn't represent the same value proposition.

That's a pretty good, solid and quantifiable reason to change the name of PTS to AlphaShares.

+5%