Author Topic: Delegates going public with their identity -- risks?  (Read 5959 times)

Offline Troglodactyl

• View Profile
In short, everyone just has to assess their own risks in the context of their own circumstances.

This all makes sense, but I'm looking for specific examples to discuss.

Troglodactyl, what country are you in, and what might concern you about going public?

I'm in the United States, and if I were to run a delegate, I would be concerned about tax authorities reinterpreting the rules such that I was in violation, or generally wasting my time and resources determining if I was in violation or not.

Offline Murderistic

• View Profile
Good point, and one to consider.

I for one will be going public with my identity, since I am already somewhat in the public on other ventures, and have made no secret of my involvement in the success in this project.

Risks could be anything from extortion/kidnapping I suppose, especially if BTS were to blow up, and there are governmental risks to consider...

When Newsweek did that article I was fuming.  Image some guys going to "Satoshi's" house and kidnapping his mom and holding her ransom for his billions...

Offline washedup

• View Profile
In short, everyone just has to assess their own risks in the context of their own circumstances.

This all makes sense, but I'm looking for specific examples to discuss.

Troglodactyl, what country are you in, and what might concern you about going public?

Offline Troglodactyl

• View Profile
The risks and costs can't be known for certain in advance, and will vary widely based on location and circumstances.

The only way it will be enforced is by the preferences of the stakeholders as expressed through their voting.  Some might be distrustful of pseudonymous delegates, others might fear that having all publicly named delegates introduces new vulnerabilities.

Offline washedup

• View Profile
If revealing your identity does not have risk, we should enforce it.

If revealing your identity does have risk, we should
a. warn people
b. reward those who do

(The reward is more votes--but to help quantify the value of going public, we must know the costs.)

Offline washedup

• View Profile
What are the responsibilities of going public?

What are the risks of going public?

Legally, politically, socially, and otherwise.

Am I protecting my family by not going public?