Author Topic: Bitgold at Bitreserve.org  (Read 4559 times)

Offline randy-waterhouse

• View Profile
There are also these guys out of Canada using bitgold in their naming, not as far as I know for a crypto-asset like Bitreserve though.
https://www.bitgold.com/

On a related note I have secured the domain names bitgold.net and bitgold.org ...

Offline mike623317

• View Profile

..."They are also claiming to have a TM for BitOil, although nothing comes up on searches."

Search 'My Californian BitTaxes' and you'll see they've got that one down.
We had bitgold a year before they even existed.

Offline pgbit

• View Profile

Yeah, they claim to have a trademark on it too, which they don't.
So we have that trademark?

nope.

The US Trademark office has taken the position that you can't trademark Bitcoin or BitShares because they are "too descriptive".  (I'm not making this up.)

By that precedent then, they presumably haven't/won't grant trademarks to BitGold, BitSilver, or BitVegimite either.
They are also claiming to have a TM for BitOil, although nothing comes up on searches.

Offline Empirical1.1

• View Profile
Also on BitShares.org for your main page, you may want to consider including & updating the BitShares graphic below. (It's great for visually explaining in one picture how BitShares works. So good Bitreserve essentially uses it in their 'our vision' video @ 2:00)

So the graphic would be updated with the new BitShares 'b'. You'd also include the name or each BitAsset. 'BitGold', 'BitUSD' etc. so they become synonymous with BitShares. (BitGold logo might have a gold tinge, BitUSD green etc.)

It would be a better, clear way to advertise what we do in a single image and strongly promote that our key product is BitAssets, like BitGold mentioned by name on the very first page.

(Also perhaps a line that mentions some of the variations we'll offer that Bitreserve probably never could like BitCrude or something. Also selling decentralisation is important on the main page. It's our USP over any competitors.)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 05:00:53 pm by Empirical1.1 »

Offline pgbit

• View Profile
You can search for US Trademarks here. Is it 'against the law' in US to claim you have a Trademark for something, when you don't have one?

http://search.uspto.gov/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&affiliate=web-sdmg-uspto.gov&query=bitgold&go=Go

Offline Chuckone

• View Profile
ah thats old fashioned shark style to steal someones idea and to profit on first move, but oldschools dont know that new generation is not gonna fight with copycats, we are the community, and have our own right to give names whatever we like to our money
if we start to dig into trademark war it will bury project because all funds will be spent on lawyers, accountants, counsels etc

Anyway, I would like to see how a centralized entity can sue a blockchain.

Offline Crossover

• View Profile
ah thats old fashioned shark style to steal someones idea and to profit on first move, but oldschools dont know that new generation is not gonna fight with copycats, we are the community, and have our own right to give names whatever we like to our money
if we start to dig into trademark war it will bury project because all funds will be spent on lawyers, accountants, counsels etc
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 09:57:48 am by Crossover »

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile

nope.

The US Trademark office has taken the position that you can't trademark Bitcoin or BitShares because they are "too descriptive".  (I'm not making this up.)

By that precedent then, they presumably haven't/won't grant trademarks to BitGold, BitSilver, or BitVegimite either.

You can still trademark it in the EU and other countries like Mt. Gox did with "bitcoin"

should we consider to register bitGOLD or BitShares as Trademark in europe if possible, shouldn't we!?
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline pgbit

• View Profile
They are claiming they have the Trademark here, with a list of others, some Phillipine related:
https://bitreserve.org/en/about-us/trademark-notice

Offline Mysto

• View Profile

- A WhatisBitGold site in the same vein as WhatisBitUSD

Can someone go register this asap?
+5%

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander

Can someone go register this asap?
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline Empirical1.1

• View Profile
I guess it will come down to who bootstraps it first. People can call themselves Bitcoin, it's just the market won't accept it, if they're not 'Bitcoin' as viewed by the market.

The fact that they're centralised is great, we'll have the consensus of the market imo. 'BitGold' implies you live on a decentralised blockchain, their brand will be seen as disingenuous, false advertising that will potentially backfire on them as will the Bitreserve brand in general.

'Bitreserve - where you funds are as safe as a fully audited Cyprus Bank account.'

Still you want to claim ownership of your brand in the eyes of the market as soon as possible.

Suggestions

- Get BitGold up to a decent CAP if we can. Now that our assets are on the main page of CMC everyone will see our BitGold if it's up the list* (If BitGold is in the top 30 for the next few months it will be harder for another 'BitGold' to come along.)

* Maximum response might be a 1-3 month BitGold  promotion with additional interest funded by 100% delegates.

(Other: Our website should be selling the blockchain and decentralisation more, that's our USP.)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 04:13:16 am by Empirical1.1 »

clout

nope.

You can still trademark it in the EU and other countries like Mt. Gox did with "bitcoin"

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan

nope.

Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline Empirical1.1

• View Profile
They're a centralised service right? They have the majority of their funds stored in regular banks and audited?