Author Topic: OIL. Let's get this asset going.  (Read 14099 times)

Offline hpenvy

• View Profile
=============
btsx address: hpenvy
Tips appreciated for good work

Offline bluebit

• View Profile
Counterparty risk vs. risk for systematic failure

its the taks of the investor to pick a side ;)

Not only the investor, but also (and more importantly), the user.

One thing I've had trouble reconciling in regard to Bitshares and other decentralized tech is the lack of real Customer Support for the everyday user.  It might seem trivial but if you tell potential users that there is no single entity to call or email if they have issues; that's a major turn off. 

Customer support will need to be provided by the services utilizing Bitshares and until they are up and running (online wallet providers, gateways, etc.) I think it's very dangerous to market Bitshares to anyone with a limited understanding of decentralized tech.

Yeah the user experience with bitshares is a major issue imo. The majority of users do not want to have to learn anything new. It really has to be made simple and beautiful and idiot proof.

I totally agree with this - idiot proof, user friendly, thought out, 1 click, instead 5 clicks.
BTSX TipMe: bluebit

Offline godzirra

• View Profile

One thing I've had trouble reconciling in regard to Bitshares and other decentralized tech is the lack of real Customer Support for the everyday user.  It might seem trivial but if you tell potential users that there is no single entity to call or email if they have issues; that's a major turn off. 

Customer support will need to be provided by the services utilizing Bitshares and until they are up and running (online wallet providers, gateways, etc.) I think it's very dangerous to market Bitshares to anyone with a limited understanding of decentralized tech.

Yeah the user experience with bitshares is a major issue imo. The majority of users do not want to have to learn anything new. It really has to be made simple and beautiful and idiot proof.

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
... you do not have this continuously uncertainty about how your government is going to fuck up again.

Heh, You need to worry BIGGER, Pinky...

Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline Empirical1.1

• View Profile
Guys...I am from Greece and we hear scenarios of a new Grexit again, possibilities of people to lose their bank deposits, bank runs etc etc.. I just hope that we release as soon as possible a version 1  with increased security measures, that even an idiot like me can feel safe that his funds won't disappear the next day from a hacker and then you will see how many Greeks are going to buy biteuros and forget about depositing money to any kind of centralized exchange or bank.
Most of you do not know the true power of bitshares because you do not have this continuously uncertainty about how your government is going to fuck up again.

+5%

Yes that's the market. Where centralised risk factors are increasing suddenly BitShares becomes incredibly appealing. That's why we should be selling decentralisation & why a sturdy BitAsset blockchain is game changing.

Offline mf-tzo

• View Profile
Guys...I am from Greece and we hear scenarios of a new Grexit again, possibilities of people to lose their bank deposits, bank runs etc etc.. I just hope that we release as soon as possible a version 1  with increased security measures, that even an idiot like me can feel safe that his funds won't disappear the next day from a hacker and then you will see how many Greeks are going to buy biteuros and forget about depositing money to any kind of centralized exchange or bank.
Most of you do not know the true power of bitshares because you do not have this continuously uncertainty about how your government is going to fuck up again.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Good points!

How about opening up a ticket system like OTRS on support.bitshares ... have all users be agents and pay them from the delegate pay according to their solved issues?

Offline wasthatawolf

Offline Empirical1.1

• View Profile
At this point in time, I'm not confident that Bitshares is any more trustworthy or secure than Bitreserve. 

How come? In bitshares you know that your bitusd will be there unless you get hacked, or if there is a serious bank run (not likely) and BTS falls massively below $2 mil market cap correct?

In bitserve, the company can claim that for some reason (hack, steal, government shutdown etc..) they lost all the funds they bankrupt and then your bitusd are lost..

So which one has the most risk again??

Bitshares has the most risk, honestly. But it also has by far the most potential. Of course we should never say this outside of this forum, everywhere else we need to point out the SPOF risk of bitreserve and the decentralization of bitshares. Business is business.

Yes, BTS would probably have more risk from the POV of the average consumer until more deposit confiscations start.

I think you are also correct that we need to be singing the advantages of decentralisation as well as pointing out the risk factors of the current banking system. The first place to start would be our website, where we currently look like BitReserve but without any audited tangible assets backing our products and no explanation why.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc

Offline Rune

• View Profile
At this point in time, I'm not confident that Bitshares is any more trustworthy or secure than Bitreserve. 

How come? In bitshares you know that your bitusd will be there unless you get hacked, or if there is a serious bank run (not likely) and BTS falls massively below $2 mil market cap correct?

In bitserve, the company can claim that for some reason (hack, steal, government shutdown etc..) they lost all the funds they bankrupt and then your bitusd are lost..

Bitshares has the most risk, honestly. But it also has by far the most potential. Of course we should never say this outside of this forum, everywhere else we need to point out the SPOF risk of bitreserve and the decentralization of bitshares. Business is business.

Offline mf-tzo

• View Profile

Offline wasthatawolf

wow...I wasn't aware of bitreserve...Although I would never trust my money and have this centralized counterparty risk

Obviously that is where we hope to end up, but the experimental nature of the Bitshares software and the relatively small network are very large risks for the average user, more so than the counter party risk of a VC-funded company in the U.S.  You're also likely to get a much better deal on "bitassets" at Bitreserve (in the short term at least).

I think it would benefit Bitshares greatly to open a dialogue with Bitreserve as opposed to dismissing them as the centralized alternative.

Offline monsterer

I wonder if they came up with that, before or after this thread.

Lol...Dejavu.. This will not be the first time we discuss things and ideas here and someone else copying us before we implement them...

They have the advantage in this case because they can pay for the service providing the fees, being centralised. We have trouble because that would require each delegate to pay for the same service, or set of services, since no free, real time feed is available for OIL.
My opinions do not represent those of metaexchange unless explicitly stated.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads