Author Topic: About Price Notation at Markets on Bitshares Client  (Read 1415 times)

Offline dna_gym

• View Profile

Well discussed 'issue', including semi-serious thread yesterday.

The good part is you can flip the market in the GUI, so you can see the market the way you like it better.
Thank you for the reply.
What's the yesterday's semi-serious thread?

zerosum

Well discussed 'issue', including semi-serious thread yesterday.

The good part is you can flip the market in the GUI, so you can see the market the way you like it better.

Offline dna_gym

• View Profile
I noticed the two different notations describing how much price one asset is relative to some other assets.

For example, I can write that Bitshares' price is 54 BTS/BITUSD (54 Bitshares per BITUSD).
But sometimes one can write that the conversion ratio of BTS/BITUSD is 0.0185 (Bitshares to(by) BITUSD is 0.0185?).

The latter notation comes from the mind of one can exchange 1 BTS to 0.0185 BITUSD, or assuming some hypothetical value unit of Universal_Value_Unit:
BTS = x Universal_Value_Unit .
and
BITUSD = y Universal_Value_Unit .

So the ratio BTS/BITUSD = x/y = 0.0185 .

I think the second notation is more familiar at various sites which I visit, for example:
ttp://k.sosobtc.com/bts_btc38.html
ttps://bitcoinwisdom.com/markets/bitstamp/btcusd
ttp://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=EURUSD=X

And assuming 1 BITUSD is more valuable than 1 BTS, my thinking goes like BTS/BITUSD should less than one because the denominator is greater than the numerator.
So the price notation at the market on Bitshares Client like:

PRICE (BTS/BITUSD)

confuses me (although it might be a problem one should overcome by getting accustomed to it).
So I want a change in notation but other poeple might have opinions which are opposed to mine.

How do you think about the price notation? Thank you.  :)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 05:05:20 am by dna_gym »