Author Topic: Today I almost lost $5k of various bitassets.  (Read 4051 times)

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Question.  I know the wallets are deterministic which means i I back up my wallet it will back up future transactions too.
But, if I back up my wallet, then I create a new TITAN address and send money to it.....Are those funds backed up or not?   Do I need to do a new back up?
The wallet has a WALLET MASTER PRIVATE KEY ... that one is used to derive any account private key that is created from within the wallet ... from the account private keys all TITAN keys are derived ..

so you really only need the WALLET MASTER KEY ... which can not be dumped with wallet_dump_private_key .. but is part of the backup.json file ... take a look in to the json file and you will see the ecrypted key in the first few lines ..

Offline bitmarket

• View Profile
    • BitShares TV
Question.  I know the wallets are deterministic which means i I back up my wallet it will back up future transactions too.
But, if I back up my wallet, then I create a new TITAN address and send money to it.....Are those funds backed up or not?   Do I need to do a new back up?
Host of BitShares.TV and Author of BitShares 101

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander
I'm very glad that it is just *almost*
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline islandking

• The king of the island
    • View Profile
What happened? Did you almost lose your private keys?
I've been working on a new electronic cash system that's fully peer-to-peer, with no trusted third party. - Satoshi

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
rm -r ~/Library

Always make backups, AND REMEMBER THAT YOU HAVE THEM AND WHERE THEY ARE.
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.