Author Topic: Today I almost lost $5k of various bitassets.  (Read 4052 times)

Offline Riverhead

Am I right in the assumption that you only need to back up your wallet once (unlike bitcoin), because all the accounts use deterministic addresses from the master?

I typically create new backups frequently and restore them onto another machine to test. Yes, you are technically correct but why risk it? With a really strong pass phrase (at least eight words with capitalization, spaces, and punctuation as well as some fake or misspelled words) the wallets are nearly impossible to crack (if they could be cracked we'd all be hosed anyway). So I backup my wallet frequently and just put it on my Dropbox account. If you're paranoid just zip the file and then rename it to something like mom_at_beach.jpg and throw it in your pictures folder with everything else.

Offline davidpbrown

Given the importance of backups, I wonder that users need a prompt about making backups when they create a wallet. Average user might also save that on the same computer, so pushing them to put it an encrypted copy on USB or elsewhere might be helpful.
฿://1CBxm54Ah5hiYxiUtD7JGYRXykT5Z6ZuMc

Offline monsterer

Am I right in the assumption that you only need to back up your wallet once (unlike bitcoin), because all the accounts use deterministic addresses from the master?
My opinions do not represent those of metaexchange unless explicitly stated.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline educatedwarrior

• View Profile
I lost over 30K in Bitshares.... I'm sure everyone knows my story by now.  Haven't reclaimed it yet ....
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 02:41:09 am by educatedwarrior »
BTSX: codeblooded   |   PTS: PiiQ6ZECCRYawcZFc8ZGbvjuCjCnBVuPjA
BTSX delegate: wallet_approve_delegate codeblooded true

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
The difference here is that with a wallet generated from the brainkey you need to scan the blockchain and figure out which DERIVED key hold a balance ... while with coldstorage privatekey you get either access to a balance directly .. or an account (which may hold a balance in its direct address or holds balances in TITAN derived key balances)

So bruteforcing the above brainkey can be much more difficult as you have to regenerate titan keys too before you can check the balances ...

Offline hadrian

• View Profile
  • BitShares: hadrian
rm -r ~/Library

Always make backups, AND REMEMBER THAT YOU HAVE THEM AND WHERE THEY ARE.

Advice to all - if you've lost something think back to when you last remember having it and then retrace your steps. It may be that you left it in a pocket and will find it in a garment in the laundry basket. Also check behind cushions and down the back of your armchair. If it's your glasses, they may be on the top of your head.

@toast - where did you find your BitAssets? I bet you got distracted and put them down on the side when the phone rang...
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline monsterer

Its the master key to ALL your funds ... AND ALL your accounts

I understand that, but there is a definite difference between brainwallet online and brainwallet offline storage. This appears to be online, since your private keys are still on your machine?

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
Its the master key to ALL your funds ... AND ALL your accounts

Offline monsterer

I am not 100% sure  .. but my guess would be that the brainwallet is used to generated the private key .. something similar to HASH(brainwallet) .. or maybe 2 rounds of a hash ..
and the passphrase is used to store the key on the disk encrypted. ... so I'd say the brainwallet should be sufficient .. but you can give it a try by creating two different wallets with same brainkey and different passphrases and check if they result in the same account keys ..

Ahh, so in this case the brainwallet key is more of a recovery thing rather than a cold-storage AND recovery thing?

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
.. though IIRC it's not thoroughly tested yet ..

//edit: also I wouldn't advice to use brainwallets unless you REALLY REALLY know what you are doing entropy-wise

Ahh, interesting - so how does this work? Do you only the brainkey to recover everything, or do you still need the wallet unlock password as well?
I am not 100% sure  .. but my guess would be that the brainwallet is used to generated the private key .. something similar to HASH(brainwallet) .. or maybe 2 rounds of a hash ..
and the passphrase is used to store the key on the disk encrypted. ... so I'd say the brainwallet should be sufficient .. but you can give it a try by creating two different wallets with same brainkey and different passphrases and check if they result in the same account keys ..

Offline monsterer

//edit: also I wouldn't advice to use brainwallets unless you REALLY REALLY know what you are doing entropy-wise

Ahh, interesting - so how does this work? Do you only the brainkey to recover everything, or do you still need the wallet unlock password as well?

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
Is a bitshares brainwallet currently possible?
delegate (locked) >>> help wallet_create
Usage:
wallet_create <wallet_name> <new_passphrase> [brain_key]                                              Creates a wallet with the given name
Creates a wallet with the given name

Offline monsterer

Is a bitshares brainwallet currently possible?

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
so you really only need the WALLET MASTER KEY ...

isn't that also encoded with your wallet password? so you also need to not forget your password? :)
right! ... wallet master key + passphrase .. those should be backed up .. preferably in two distinct locations :)

Offline lakerta06

so you really only need the WALLET MASTER KEY ...

isn't that also encoded with your wallet password? so you also need to not forget your password? :)