Author Topic: What is the Reason For 0.4.25 Forks ?  (Read 8590 times)

Offline vikram

Quote from: vikram link=topic=12208.msg162170#msg162170

We have not done a thorough analysis or inventory, but there were a number of transactions (not many--definitely less than 200 in the entire blockchain) that were duplicates under the new rules yet valid under the old rules. That is to say, they had exactly the same operations and expiration time but different signatures as you said. Almost all of such transactions were quite old; there was at least one extremely recent one but it was very small and did not look like an attack. It is difficult to say whether anything else appeared as an attack without doing a full review of the offending transactions. It is not a priority, but I can take a closer look if you think that is important.

can you post the duplicate transactions here so anybody can review them ?

If so, does the new code allow for such possibilities in the future (using some nonce or something) or does the new client somehow construct the transactions to not ever be identical?

In practice, nothing really changes for the end-user because subsequent identical transactions they construct will likely have different expiration dates. I do not know how those previously mentioned transactions with identical operations and expiration dates were created. There is also an additional reserved field in transactions that is currently not used, but could include a nonce if this ever becomes a problem in the future.

@Virkram, can you point me to one pair of those transaction?
They were TITAN transactions or simple ones?

I've posted a list of the duplicates here: https://github.com/BitShares/bitshares/issues/1142#issuecomment-68958340

Offline ElMato

• View Profile
If so, does the new code allow for such possibilities in the future (using some nonce or something) or does the new client somehow construct the transactions to not ever be identical?

In practice, nothing really changes for the end-user because subsequent identical transactions they construct will likely have different expiration dates. I do not know how those previously mentioned transactions with identical operations and expiration dates were created. There is also an additional reserved field in transactions that is currently not used, but could include a nonce if this ever becomes a problem in the future.

@Virkram, can you point me to one pair of those transaction?
They were TITAN transactions or simple ones?

merockstar

I remember a thread a few months back where a guy created an account to come say he had accidentally made bitshares out of thin air, and the community kind of received it with skepticism.

trying to find the thread now but it's elusive.

I wonder if the one duplicate was that guy.

Offline vikram

We have not done a thorough analysis or inventory, but there were a number of transactions (not many--definitely less than 200 in the entire blockchain) that were duplicates under the new rules yet valid under the old rules. That is to say, they had exactly the same operations and expiration time but different signatures as you said. Almost all of such transactions were quite old; there was at least one extremely recent one but it was very small and did not look like an attack. It is difficult to say whether anything else appeared as an attack without doing a full review of the offending transactions. It is not a priority, but I can take a closer look if you think that is important.

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 997D

Sure, I can compile a list as part of: https://github.com/BitShares/bitshares/issues/1142

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani

Offline arhag

• View Profile
    • My posts on Steem
  • BitShares: arhag
  • GitHub: arhag
This fix was rushed out because once the existence of the security flaw was publicly disclosed, we felt under extreme time pressure because any technically competent attacker reading our public discussions would have been able to use the unpatched flaw to do serious damage.

We need to do a better job of telling all internal developers and community contributors not to discuss security vulnerabilities over public channels until a fix is deployed.  A little more caution along these lines would quite possibly have resulted in a patch developed over a longer time frame, with more thorough testing, under less pressure.

Yeah, things could have gone better in how this was handled. Some suggestions:
  • Once bytemaster realized there was a vulnerability thanks to ElMato's question submitted to the forum on Wednesday, December 10, he probably shouldn't have responded to that thread with a post containing content identical to the OP in https://github.com/BitShares/bitshares/issues/1129. Just speaking for myself, I didn't realize there was a vulnerability when reading ElMato's question, but when I read bytemaster's post I immediately realized the extent of this vulnerability (and I am sure so would many other technical people who happened to read that thread). Thankfully, the situation was corrected quickly by deleting the thread, but it would have been better if bytemaster never made that post, or revealed it on GitHub either, until the fix was completed, well tested, and ready to be pushed to the delegates.

• GitHub revealed too much information throughout this whole process. Although the forum thread was short lived, bytemaster's post (https://github.com/BitShares/bitshares/issues/1129) to GitHub on Thursday 2:44am EST revealed it again to the public and this time stayed up for all to see. Although that post was accompanied with a fix (https://github.com/BitShares/bitshares/commit/d0c6fa174ee88b706e6c08a102cde5bddfe4212d) to the canonical signature issue, there were still two problems with this. First, the canonical signature issue wasn't an actual fix for the bigger issue of transaction malleability, since duplicate transactions with unique IDs could still be created using superfluous signatures. Further discussion with the dev team and spending some time thinking it through would have revealed this because eventually they came to that conclusion and fixed the problem properly with this fix (https://github.com/BitShares/bitshares/commit/ad4c5d851b90843d1a20d8ca9ab410baf5aafb1b) 9 hours later (well the upgrade code was messed up still, but at least the validation code for after block 1249400 actually solved the transaction malleability vulnerability properly). Second, even with these commits, the code was still not done and certainly not properly tested. My point with all of this is that the reveal of the vulnerability on GitHub through the issue submission and these commits was premature for a security vulnerability. I don't think these things should be revealed publicly on GitHub until a proper, well-tested fix is ready to go for the delegates to download. Discussion and development for a fix to a critical security issue should be done in private IMO. Does GitHub provide a private mode so that the internal devs can still use these useful tools without leaking information to the public prematurely? They can always reveal the issues/discussion/commits to the public later on after the well-tested upgrade that fixes the issue is ready to go for the delegates.

I don't intend to point fingers or assign blame with this post. I just would like us to figure out the proper procedures to follow for the future in case another security vulnerability is discovered. We should of course also discuss what the proper standards for testing should be for fixes to important security vulnerabilities (and the differences in standards for different classes of vulnerabilities, depending on severity). A balance must be struck with the testing standards between getting functional-enough code out that fixes the issue (and doesn't have bugs that make the issue worse) and minimizing the time that the vulnerable version of the software is left running in the open.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
So .. no it's about time to have a public mail address for security issues to report .. that mail address HAS to be publicly accessible ..
put it
 - in the footer of bitshares.org
 - the wiki
 - the subreddits
 - the client

Also please offer a bounty!

Offline bytemaster

Transaction time is there so that various caches are bounded. 
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline vikram

I suppose it could reject any transaction that has an expiration time set more than 48 hours into the future relative to the present time (time at which the delegate's client is considering the transaction for inclusion in the next block), although I don't really understand the purpose of that limitation.

But what I mean is couldn't I today create and sign (but not broadcast) a transaction that spends some of my balance and is set to expire in January 2, 2015, and then wait until January 1, 2015 to broadcast it and have it accepted into the blockchain?

Both of these are correct. I believe the intention is simply that a transaction cannot be signed and then float around on the P2P network for an unbounded amount of time without being applied for some reason. bytemaster can chime in on the original motivation if I am missing something.

Offline arhag

• View Profile
    • My posts on Steem
  • BitShares: arhag
  • GitHub: arhag
There is an upper bound of 48 hours that the blockchain allows.

How is it possible for the blockchain to have a limit on the expiration time when it cannot possibly know when the transaction was actually created? I suppose it could reject any transaction that has an expiration time set more than 48 hours into the future relative to the present time (time at which the delegate's client is considering the transaction for inclusion in the next block), although I don't really understand the purpose of that limitation. But what I mean is couldn't I today create and sign (but not broadcast) a transaction that spends some of my balance and is set to expire in January 2, 2015, and then wait until January 1, 2015 to broadcast it and have it accepted into the blockchain?

Offline theoretical

However, the 3 of us that put together the upgrade all still managed to completely overlook this problem due to the stress of trying to fix the malleability security issue as fast as possible. The moral of the story is--security issue or not--we need a better process for live upgrades:

We are reviewing our options, but the conclusion is clear.   DevShares needs to come out as soon as possible because it is the most likely way we would have caught this bug.

This fix was rushed out because once the existence of the security flaw was publicly disclosed, we felt under extreme time pressure because any technically competent attacker reading our public discussions would have been able to use the unpatched flaw to do serious damage.

We need to do a better job of telling all internal developers and community contributors not to discuss security vulnerabilities over public channels until a fix is deployed.  A little more caution along these lines would quite possibly have resulted in a patch developed over a longer time frame, with more thorough testing, under less pressure.

The next time a security vulnerability is disclosed before a patch is available, we need to consider more carefully the risks of a botched fix when deciding how much time to spend writing / testing a patch.  We don't want the fix to cause more damage than the exploit.

We also need to address technical debt in the testing side of things.  DevShares will help; so will more tests and improvements to our testing infrastructure.  I've been working on the latter.

I think there's little value in assigning blame to particular people.  I'm pretty sure that those who screwed up (myself included) have realized it and have figured out what they need to do differently next time.  Overall I'm not even sure we can attribute human error as the root cause, rather it's lack of a well-defined process for dealing with security vulnerabilities.  Also, a  process for code review and testing of release candidates would be useful.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 12:48:48 am by drltc »
BTS- theoretical / PTS- PZxpdC8RqWsdU3pVJeobZY7JFKVPfNpy5z / BTC- 1NfGejohzoVGffAD1CnCRgo9vApjCU2viY / the delegate formerly known as drltc / Nothing said on these forums is intended to be legally binding / All opinions are my own unless otherwise noted / Take action due to my posts at your own risk

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Looking at the initial theft report at https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=10877.msg143174#msg143174 it seems that his private keys were compromised. This is not related to the transaction malleability issue that 0.4.25 and 0.4.26 were intended to address.
That's how I read it too .. can't see how the community/developers can help with that case ..
I still feel sorry for his loss .. 1M BTS is a shitoad of money :(

Offline vikram

I can understand it is not a priority since there doesn't seem to be anyone in the community claiming they had any funds stolen or unauthorized withdrawals
, but it is incredibly peculiar that there were duplicates (assuming the expiration time is always set to a fixed offset of the current time) and it would be interesting to investigate further.
That's quite not true! We have at least one official case with stolen funds...( from @educatewarrior for 1million BTS!!! ) I would seriously investigate it further if it is some how related!!!  And if yes, our community  MUST help the victims  to  get their "stolen"(?) funds back ! For every problem,  exist at least on solution... I am very happy we found the security  flow soon enough ...

Looking at the initial theft report at https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=10877.msg143174#msg143174 it seems that his private keys were compromised. This is not related to the transaction malleability issue that 0.4.25 and 0.4.26 were intended to address.

Offline carpet ride

• View Profile

That's quite not true! We have at least one official case with stolen funds...( from @educatewarrior for 1million BTS!!! ) I would seriously investigate it further if it is some how related!!!  And if yes, our community  MUST help the victims  to  get their "stolen"(?) funds back ! For every problem,  exist at least on solution... I am very happy we found the security  flow soon enough ...

What proof was there?
All opinions are my own. Anything said on this forum does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation between myself and anyone else.
Check out my blog: http://CertainAssets.com
Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
I can understand it is not a priority since there doesn't seem to be anyone in the community claiming they had any funds stolen or unauthorized withdrawals
, but it is incredibly peculiar that there were duplicates (assuming the expiration time is always set to a fixed offset of the current time) and it would be interesting to investigate further.