Author Topic: Stupid questions about running a delegate  (Read 2704 times)

merockstar

You can scroll in screen by using 'copy mode' with:
Ctrl + A + [

then use 'k' for up, and 'j' for down

'Esc' to exit copy mode.

THANK YOU that was driving me nuts.

if my next paycheck permits, I will resume this thread next friday

Xeldal

You can scroll in screen by using 'copy mode' with:
Ctrl + A + [

then use 'k' for up, and 'j' for down

'Esc' to exit copy mode.

merockstar

does it cost more to register a delegate? maybe that's my problem.

By all on one line I mean that when you just type the command and hit enter you're prompted for the required info but not the optional. Since the pay rate is optional data you really don't want to miss that :).

The cost to register an account is the transaction fee. The cost to register a delegate is your pay rate * 59,881.19 BTS. So a 100% delegate would cost the 60k BTS and a 10% delegate around 6k BTS.

I'm not at my computer with my wallet currently. When I get there I'll be able to tell you the commands exactly. It should be one command per line. Use "" instead of null. Use the help to get the flag order.

figured it out! meblockstar needed to be registered without a pay rate, then it let me register delegate.meblockstar with the 3% payrate i was aiming for.

however... I wasn't anticipating an 1800 BTS registration fee. that might wind up putting this on hold...

but I went awry somewhere-

wallet_delegate_set_block_production delegate.meblockstar true

Code: [Select]
    {}
    th_a  common_api_client.cpp:1875 wallet_delegate_set_block_production

{"command":"wallet_delegate_set_block_production"}
    th_a  cli.cpp:556 execute_command
meblockstar (unlocked) >>> wallet_delegate_set_block_production delegate.meblockstar true
10 assert_exception: Assert Exception
delegate_record.is_delegate(): delegate.meblockstar is not a delegate.
    {"name":"delegate.meblockstar"}
    th_a  wallet.cpp:1601 set_delegate_block_production

{}
    th_a  common_api_client.cpp:1875 wallet_delegate_set_block_production

{"command":"wallet_delegate_set_block_production"}

meblockstar (unlocked) >>> blockchain_get_account delegate.meblockstar
Name: delegate.meblockstar
Last Updated: 8 minutes ago
Owner Key: BTSX6LMcNmVLkXy7jKjbj8CAWxJd21HrxH83TQekVYcqCr3rcrxLLo
Active Key History:
- BTSX6LMcNmVLkXy7jKjbj8CAWxJd21HrxH83TQekVYcqCr3rcrxLLo, last used 8 minutes ago
Not a delegate.
Public Data:

oh i see... it took what I thought was my pay rate as "public data."

explains why it even let me register without the necessary balance

damnit.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 05:16:26 pm by merockstar »

Offline Riverhead

By all on one line I mean that when you just type the command and hit enter you're prompted for the required info but not the optional. Since the pay rate is optional data you really don't want to miss that :).

The cost to register an account is the transaction fee. The cost to register a delegate is your pay rate * 59,881.19 BTS. So a 100% delegate would cost the 60k BTS and a 10% delegate around 6k BTS.

I'm not at my computer with my wallet currently. When I get there I'll be able to tell you the commands exactly. It should be one command per line. Use "" instead of null. Use the help to get the flag order.

merockstar

merockstar

You're going to have to do it all on one line or you won't get asked the optional questions.

wallet_account_update_registration <account_to_update> <pay_from_account> "optional data" <payrate 0-100> <don't put anything here>

type blockchain_get_account <account_to_be_updated> to make sure the blockchain sees it.

the type help wallet_account_update_registration to get the flags and the order they need to be in. Even after registering a lot of accounts I still bring the help screen up to make sure I get things right.

hmm... what do you mean by do it all on one line?

like this?

wallet_account_register meblockstar delegate.meblockstar null 3 && wallet_account_update_registration meblockstar

or like

wallet_account_update_registration meblockstar delegate.meblockstar null 3

Offline Riverhead

You're going to have to do it all on one line or you won't get asked the optional questions.

wallet_account_update_registration <account_to_update> <pay_from_account> "optional data" <payrate 0-100> <don't put anything here>

type blockchain_get_account <account_to_be_updated> to make sure the blockchain sees it.

the type help wallet_account_update_registration to get the flags and the order they need to be in. Even after registering a lot of accounts I still bring the help screen up to make sure I get things right.

merockstar

appreciate the help guys.

did a wallet_account_register then a wallet_account_update_registration for both names and I'm getting this error:

meblockstar (unlocked) >>> wallet_account_update_registration
account_name: delegate.meblockstar
pay_from_account: delegate.meblockstar
20006 unknown_account: unknown account
Account is not registered! Cannot update registration.
    {}
    th_a  transaction_builder.cpp:33 update_account_registration

{"account_to_update":"delegate.meblockstar","pay_from_account":"delegate.meblockstar","public_data":null,"sign":true}
    th_a  wallet.cpp:3094 update_registered_account

{}
    th_a  common_api_client.cpp:1347 wallet_account_update_registration

{"command":"wallet_account_update_registration"}

which I take to mean the wallet_account_register didn't take.

wallet_account_balance still shows

meblockstar (unlocked) >>> wallet_account_balance
ACCOUNT                         BALANCE                     
============================================================
delegate.meblockstar            1.00000 BTS

Offline Riverhead

It's been broke into two steps. Register account and then update registration with your delegate characteristics.

Offline FreeTrade

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
Think I found that I had to use

wallet_account_update_registration

as the account was already registered.
“People should be more sophisticated? How are you gonna get that done?” - Jerry Seinfeld reply to Bill Maher

merockstar

additional stupid question:

wallet_account_register meblockstar delegate.meblockstar null 3

yields:

},{"type":"withdraw_op_type","data":{"balance_id":"BTSXBG6wJyDU3cCSuvHrfn2oq79qv8M5Doobh","amount":50000,"claim_input_data":""}},{"type":"withdraw_op_type","data":{"balance_id":"BTSXF8kobuqK78HxjqNENGTVzS5SkMkofukye","amount":50000,"claim_input_data":""}}],"signatures":[]},"required_signatures":["BTSX573wgzr4DGnmSz3MUfDRrgga6DFrP9rqH","BTSXQ27uwtZNmTb9WSMb1i4kZ8DZUSDLgryCx"]}
    th_a  wallet.cpp:99 withdraw_to_transaction

{"account_to_register":"meblockstar","public_data":null,"pay_with_account_name":"delegate.meblockstar","delegate_pay_rate":3}
    th_a  wallet.cpp:2913 register_account

{"account_name":"meblockstar","data":null}
    th_a  wallet_api.cpp:616 wallet_account_register

{}
    th_a  common_api_client.cpp:1315 wallet_account_register

{"command":"wallet_account_register"}

theres more before that, but I haven't figured out how to scroll up through ssh yet. account doesn't seem to be registering.

wallet_account_balance shows no fees got paid.

Offline Riverhead

Question 4:

There are a few scripts already out there. A lot of delegates (including myself) use alt's collection of scripts. In this repository there is a btsfeed directory. In there you just update the config.json with details about connecting to your delegate via rpc and run the script.

https://github.com/bitsuperlab/operation_tools

merockstar

Offline pc

• View Profile
    • Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko?
  • BitShares: cyrano
Am I okay to just carry on, and register both meblockstar and delegate.meblockstar on the blockchain once I get delegate.meblockstar funded?

Yes.

should I have even made delegate.meblockstar? Should I have just used meblockstar since I'm only using this wallet to sign blocks? I guess I'm just in general confused about the whole naming conventions.

It is "only" a convention, but a strong one. ISTR that bm once said he won't vote for non-subaccount delegates.

Question 2:

Since I have screen running, that means I can just shut down the computer (or exit the terminal), and still be producing blocks, right? To bring the wallet back up, i just log into my ssh and run screen -dr?

Yes, basically.
You should properly detach the screen session (CTRL-A CTRL-D I believe). Assuming that you delegate is on a remote computer, you can then shut down the local machine and the delegate will keep running. And yes, you can later ssh into remote and reattach the screen session.

Question 3:

gbd doesn't do anything more than just give more detailed information from the command line than just the client would, right?

Don't know gbd, but if you mean gdb (Gnu DeBugger) - gdb is only useful for analyzing crashes or other malfunctions by watching the program execute the source code. If you don't know what that means don't bother, you won't need it.

Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko? ISBN 978-3-8442-6568-2 http://bitcoin.quisquis.de

merockstar

I'm trying to set up a delegate this evening, and I have a bunch of dumbass questions.

http://wiki.bitshares.org/index.php/Delegate/How-To

That's the tutorial I'm following.

Question 1:

When I made it to the wallet_create_account part of that tutorial, I created a local account called delegate.meblockstar

then continued to follow the tutorial and got to  wallet_transfer 50 BTSX funded_account unfunded_delegate_account before realizing that it expects meblockstar to exist before it can register delegate.meblockstar

so I skipped back to wallet_create_account, and made meblockstar.

is creating meblockstar (locally) only after I've created delegate.meblockstar going to screw anything up? Should I just start over (I'm planning on starting over anyway after I pay for a vps, this is just the figure out what the hell i'm doing phase)

Am I okay to just carry on, and register both meblockstar and delegate.meblockstar on the blockchain once I get delegate.meblockstar funded?

should I have even made delegate.meblockstar? Should I have just used meblockstar since I'm only using this wallet to sign blocks? I guess I'm just in general confused about the whole naming conventions.

Question 2:

Since I have screen running, that means I can just shut down the computer (or exit the terminal), and still be producing blocks, right? To bring the wallet back up, i just log into my ssh and run screen -dr?

Question 3:

gbd doesn't do anything more than just give more detailed information from the command line than just the client would, right?

Question 4:

http://wiki.bitshares.org/index.php/Delegate/Feeds

What do these scripts do exactly? I mean, I know they are for publishing price feeds, but do I alter them to tell them what price feeds I want to publish and where to get them from?

Where should I get price feeds from anyway? What should I know in advance about price feeds going into this?