Author Topic: where has my btsx gone???? ?:(  (Read 6730 times)

Offline Protoman

• View Profile
merockstar, thanks for the good advice. I am quite covered in the backup area, I might fortify it further after all the other need to do's, but now I'm really considering the suggestion about a dedicated computer, that's not a bad idea.

Now I think i'm synchronized with what's going finally, thanks for all of the answers.

merockstar

Ok then. Would anything happen if I imported DNS to BTS at this point or should I wait?

And lastly, should or can I send PlayBTS_S1 and Dec.14,2014BTS_S2 from BTER to Bitshares client?

glad to see you recovered your funds. i would recommend getting a computer to use exclusively for crypto and nothing else. I would also recommend making backups of all your wallets and emailing them to yourself, backing them up on dropbox, burn some cds and scatter at friends and relatives, make a micro-sd card, maybe a couple flashdrives, copy them to your phone, etc... I've given myself a million and a half ways to get access to a backup wallet anytime i need it. your level of paranoia should probably correlate with the amount of money you have invested.

the transaction scanning can take a good minute.

the bts you got awarded from the merger snapshot wouldn't be showing up yet, you can check it with wallet_check_sharedrop (or something like that) after importing all your keys (DNS included I believe). sounds like your balance is correct.

PlayBTS_S1 is just bter's record of what they owe you from the snapshot when play comes live. it's not possible to withdraw it yet.

Offline Protoman

• View Profile
Ok then. Would anything happen if I imported DNS to BTS at this point or should I wait?

And lastly, should or can I send PlayBTS_S1 and Dec.14,2014BTS_S2 from BTER to Bitshares client?

Offline vikram

2. The balance should be scaled from the old BTS to the newest, which should be a lot bigger number, is that correct? I can't see this balance anywhere, I can only see the "old BTS" balances.

The new balances after the sharedrop have not been unlocked yet, so they don't show up in balances yet. It will be announced when they are unlocked in a future version.

Offline Protoman

• View Profile
I managed to make it work on another computer with the exact same Windows version. Something must have gotten corrupted on the previous computer with all of the Bitshares clients.

I imported .json wallet from the old BTSX into the new BitShares and it works, but why is

1. "Transaction scanning process is 0%"? The client is fully synced and it's the latest 0.4.27.1. (Forget this question. After a long time it's now 1%)
2. The balance should be scaled from the old BTS to the newest, which should be a lot bigger number, is that correct? I can't see this balance anywhere, I can only see the "old BTS" balances.
3. Should I also import the Bitshares DNS and the old PTS wallets into this new Bitshares?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 04:05:07 pm by Protoman »

Offline Protoman

• View Profile
I have uninstalled everything Bitshares, including Key-ID, made multiple backups ofcourse, including re-moving all of the AppData folders.

Then installed the new Bitshares PTS DPOS, can't start because of a critical error called "An error occured while trying to start.", which is who knows what.

Same applies to the latest BitShares.

I don't want to repeat this but I have no idea how to solve it.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 09:23:09 am by Protoman »

Offline Protoman

• View Profile
I did and it fixed the issue for me.

Phew, great. Did you just uninstall the old PTS client or did you remove (or delete? or rename?) the AppData of PTS too?

Did you do the same for BTS X? A lot of question I know, sorry, but it would be helpful.

Offline Murderistic

• View Profile
I did and it fixed the issue for me.

Offline Protoman

• View Profile
Same thing happens when I installed the new BitShares PTS DPOS.

"An error occured while trying to start."

Should I completely uninstall the previous BitShares & BitShares PTS Wallets?

Offline Protoman

• View Profile
Well v0.4.26 didn't solve anything, the same problem still persists

"An error occured while trying to start."

I don't know what to do here, at some point I need a working BitShares client.

Can you figure what's wrong from the "Send Report" you get?

Offline Protoman

• View Profile
Prior to installing the new BitShares a few days ago I could run the old BitShares X just fine, everything worked.

I don't know if BitShares program was supposed to transfer the wallets to it's folder by default or not, but that's what it looks like to have happened.

But first I need a working BitShares anyways. As a last resort option I will even try virtual box.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
As long as you have a backup or the.wallets folder .... TOGETHER with the passphrase you are on the safe side .. and can relax

merockstar

it sounds like your problem is two fold

1) getting the program to run

2) finding what you did with your wallet

maybe you could try running a fresh copy of windows in a virtual box. installing the wallet there, figuring out what you did with your original wallet, e-mail it to yourself, and load the wallet up in that just so you'll have peace of mind that you have access to your funds while your troubleshooting the issue with your current install.

Offline vikram

0.4.24.1 installed, same thing.

Is this the sole case of this error, noone else got this?

I am not sure what is causing your particular problem; but 0.4.25 will be released soon with a number of additional bugfixes--it's probably best to wait for now and it might address your problem.

Offline Protoman

• View Profile
0.4.24.1 installed, same thing.

Is this the sole case of this error, noone else got this?

merockstar

I reinstalled it, same thing. The version is BitShares-v0.4.24

0.4.24.1 was just released two hours before your post

https://github.com/BitShares/bitshares/releases

perhaps the startup issue is related to one of the bugs that resolves.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 05:25:10 pm by merockstar »

Offline Protoman

• View Profile
I did, closed everything but get the same error.

Then restarted computer, ran it "freshly", same error.

The only time it kinda works is when I run the bitshares_client first, then the GUI

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
please open up the task manager and make sure that there is no bitshares running prior to running the GUI!

Offline Protoman

• View Profile
I reinstalled it, same thing. The version is BitShares-v0.4.24

When I run just from the icon (BitShares.exe) I get that error.

When i first run bitshares_client.exe it opens up the command line version ofcourse, but then I open BitShares.exe and the client will run!

But, then the window dissapears. I run BitShares.exe again and it opens up without the startingsplash, all I see is the white blank version with File and Accounts options.

Looks broken...

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
please resintall the executable ... it seems you have a rather old version installed ..

just make sure to have the "wallets" folder stored somewhere safely

Offline bytemaster

You have a "wallets" folder somewhere in your or others users' %APPDATA% folder?

looks like Wallets got transferred from BitShares X folder to BitShares folder. There are some older backups there.

But before we do that...when I try to open BitShares I get critical error "An error occured while trying to start."

I see that there is "bitshares_client.exe" and "BitShares.exe" in the main folder. Should the first bitshares_client.exe be started also before starting "BitShares.exe?

bitshares_client.exe is the command line only version.
BitShares.exe is the GUI version.

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline Protoman

• View Profile
I renamed the previous BitShares folder in AppData and it created a new BitShares folder, that is empty.

There is still a critical error "An error occured while trying to start" when starting BitShares

Can someone else confirm or deny that this is the only thing that should be run? Or should I run "bitshares_client.exe" first and then "BitShares.exe"? (doesn't make sense to me because we always ran the whole thing with just BitShares.exe)

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
Hug? Two binaries .. no idea .. not using windows .. maybe check for lates date and remove the other binary

Also make a copy of the bitsharea and bitaharesx folders in appdata ..

The rename them oe move them somewhere else ..

Reatart the client and let it create new folders .. do not create a new account just let it run some minutea .. close it again .. and move the walleta folder into the newly created bitshares folder in appdata

Offline Protoman

• View Profile
You have a "wallets" folder somewhere in your or others users' %APPDATA% folder?

looks like Wallets got transferred from BitShares X folder to BitShares folder. There are some older backups there.

But before we do that...when I try to open BitShares I get critical error "An error occured while trying to start."

I see that there is "bitshares_client.exe" and "BitShares.exe" in the main folder. Should the first bitshares_client.exe be started also before starting "BitShares.exe?

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH

Offline Protoman

• View Profile
Looks like the wallet, together with the Wallets folder got deleted from my /BitShares X folder. Because I just opened BitShares X and it's asking me to Create a New Wallet. I already made one a while back.

A few days ago I installed the new BitShares client and after seeing that the whole thing is going to be problematic again with all of the different users I didn't want to deal with it. Until right now (today) - now seeing that the wallet from BitShares X must have been deleted.

Now I'm trying to figure out what to do...

Offline Protoman

• View Profile
I also have a question or two.

Because of a non-english letter in my name, the BitShares (or Windows) has created 2 extra folder under C:\Users\...

and here I can now find two more "users" on top of my normal one. So now I have "3 users" in total and all of these folders now have something from Bitshares

"User1"/AppData/Roaming/KeyID

"User2"/AppData/Roaming/KeyID &
                                       /BitShares X

"UserOriginal"/AppData/Roaming/BitShares      &
                                                    /BitShares X   &
                                                    /BitShares PTS

The whole thing is quite a mess. I don't know if this was made because of a fault in Windows, or a because of how your clients work, but anways, it's messy. I have to think what to put where from where with all of the importing now.

But the biggest problem I see right now is that there is no /Wallets folder under any of my BitShares X folders under all "users". I don't know if this was brougth forth because of the naming issue but it's giving me a bit of a headache.

Offline foxjohn637

• View Profile
i think i got it... well i think so anyway... its still trying to load the wallet... might need to restart the computer i guess

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
I just found it I had to do a search for it i dont know where it is normally kept 

what am i looking for in the app data folder for bitshares x? is it the wallets then backups?
i mean that would only make sense i just am making sure

in the "bitshares x" folder there are several folders .. such as "chains" "peersleveldb" etc .. most of them are just for database and blockchain stuff ..
the IMPORTANT folder is the "wallets" folder ..
in it there is a hidden folder called ".backups/default" ..

you can now either import one of those backups (preferable the latest one) .. or you copy the whole wallets folder into the "BitShares" folder (make sure to not overwrite the previous "defaults" folder but rename it before)

Offline foxjohn637

• View Profile
I just found it I had to do a search for it i dont know where it is normally kept 

what am i looking for in the app data folder for bitshares x? is it the wallets then backups?
i mean that would only make sense i just am making sure

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
Nop .. passphrase is just ENCRYPTING a random priv key. ..

you no have a backup?
what happend to the bitsharesX folder in appdata?

Offline foxjohn637

• View Profile
I am not sure where the app data went to so i might be screwed but isn't there a way to import a wallet if you know the passphrase and have the address

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
When I re-installed the client a while ago, I found it just installed a second copy of the software, rather than upgrading it.

So you might find you have 2 versions of the software installed - one pointed at the old wallet, and one pointed at the new.
ahh .. explains it ..

go to "%APPDATA%/Roaming"

you will find a folder "BitShares X" which contains your OLD wallet
and a "BitShares" folder .. that one contains the 'new' wallets ..
rename the "BitShares" folder to something else .. better not delete it .. for safety ..

then rename "BitShares X" to "BitShares" and start up the client again .. it should start with reindexing the database ..
give him some time for reindex and resync ... MAKE A BACKUP afterwards too !!!

Offline FreeTrade

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
When I re-installed the client a while ago, I found it just installed a second copy of the software, rather than upgrading it.

So you might find you have 2 versions of the software installed - one pointed at the old wallet, and one pointed at the new.
“People should be more sophisticated? How are you gonna get that done?” - Jerry Seinfeld reply to Bill Maher

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
You have a backup of the wallet?

Can you got to console and type blockchain_is_synced?

Offline foxjohn637

• View Profile
thankyou for the info so it should just be that i need to rescan the blockchain ? or something I think it is doing that right now says transaction scanning progress 9%

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
i cant find bitshares x download anywhere actually   did they consolidate it all to bitshares?

http://bitshares.org/bitshares-reloaded/
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline foxjohn637

• View Profile
i cant find bitshares x download anywhere actually   did they consolidate it all to bitshares?

Offline foxjohn637

• View Profile
sorry bts... not btsx... i dont think it says bitshares x when you open it either just bitshares

Offline foxjohn637

• View Profile
it didn't ask me to in fact there is not a synchronizing thing anywhere on the main screen It looks just like the wallet i used to have just unregistered and 0.00 btsx

Offline Rune

• View Profile
Did you have to download the blockchain again?

Offline foxjohn637

• View Profile
I had the latest version of bitshares x but recently i upgraded to something that has no x in the title It asked me to create a new password so i used my old one and my old account name and now i have 0 btsx again ;... k so seriously this happens like every time i upgrade and i dont know the commands to import my wallets so it is distressing to say the least I have the passphrase to the wallet but currently i am out 5000 btsx  please someone help!!!