Author Topic: where has my btsx gone???? ?:(  (Read 6691 times)

merockstar

I reinstalled it, same thing. The version is BitShares-v0.4.24

0.4.24.1 was just released two hours before your post

https://github.com/BitShares/bitshares/releases

perhaps the startup issue is related to one of the bugs that resolves.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 05:25:10 pm by merockstar »

Offline Protoman

• View Profile
I did, closed everything but get the same error.

Then restarted computer, ran it "freshly", same error.

The only time it kinda works is when I run the bitshares_client first, then the GUI

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
please open up the task manager and make sure that there is no bitshares running prior to running the GUI!

Offline Protoman

• View Profile
I reinstalled it, same thing. The version is BitShares-v0.4.24

When I run just from the icon (BitShares.exe) I get that error.

When i first run bitshares_client.exe it opens up the command line version ofcourse, but then I open BitShares.exe and the client will run!

But, then the window dissapears. I run BitShares.exe again and it opens up without the startingsplash, all I see is the white blank version with File and Accounts options.

Looks broken...

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
please resintall the executable ... it seems you have a rather old version installed ..

just make sure to have the "wallets" folder stored somewhere safely

Offline bytemaster

You have a "wallets" folder somewhere in your or others users' %APPDATA% folder?

looks like Wallets got transferred from BitShares X folder to BitShares folder. There are some older backups there.

But before we do that...when I try to open BitShares I get critical error "An error occured while trying to start."

I see that there is "bitshares_client.exe" and "BitShares.exe" in the main folder. Should the first bitshares_client.exe be started also before starting "BitShares.exe?

bitshares_client.exe is the command line only version.
BitShares.exe is the GUI version.

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline Protoman

• View Profile
I renamed the previous BitShares folder in AppData and it created a new BitShares folder, that is empty.

There is still a critical error "An error occured while trying to start" when starting BitShares

Can someone else confirm or deny that this is the only thing that should be run? Or should I run "bitshares_client.exe" first and then "BitShares.exe"? (doesn't make sense to me because we always ran the whole thing with just BitShares.exe)

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
Hug? Two binaries .. no idea .. not using windows .. maybe check for lates date and remove the other binary

Also make a copy of the bitsharea and bitaharesx folders in appdata ..

The rename them oe move them somewhere else ..

Reatart the client and let it create new folders .. do not create a new account just let it run some minutea .. close it again .. and move the walleta folder into the newly created bitshares folder in appdata

Offline Protoman

• View Profile
You have a "wallets" folder somewhere in your or others users' %APPDATA% folder?

looks like Wallets got transferred from BitShares X folder to BitShares folder. There are some older backups there.

But before we do that...when I try to open BitShares I get critical error "An error occured while trying to start."

I see that there is "bitshares_client.exe" and "BitShares.exe" in the main folder. Should the first bitshares_client.exe be started also before starting "BitShares.exe?

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH

Offline Protoman

• View Profile
Looks like the wallet, together with the Wallets folder got deleted from my /BitShares X folder. Because I just opened BitShares X and it's asking me to Create a New Wallet. I already made one a while back.

A few days ago I installed the new BitShares client and after seeing that the whole thing is going to be problematic again with all of the different users I didn't want to deal with it. Until right now (today) - now seeing that the wallet from BitShares X must have been deleted.

Now I'm trying to figure out what to do...

Offline Protoman

• View Profile
I also have a question or two.

Because of a non-english letter in my name, the BitShares (or Windows) has created 2 extra folder under C:\Users\...

and here I can now find two more "users" on top of my normal one. So now I have "3 users" in total and all of these folders now have something from Bitshares

"User1"/AppData/Roaming/KeyID

"User2"/AppData/Roaming/KeyID &
                                       /BitShares X

"UserOriginal"/AppData/Roaming/BitShares      &
                                                    /BitShares X   &
                                                    /BitShares PTS

The whole thing is quite a mess. I don't know if this was made because of a fault in Windows, or a because of how your clients work, but anways, it's messy. I have to think what to put where from where with all of the importing now.

But the biggest problem I see right now is that there is no /Wallets folder under any of my BitShares X folders under all "users". I don't know if this was brougth forth because of the naming issue but it's giving me a bit of a headache.

Offline foxjohn637

• View Profile
i think i got it... well i think so anyway... its still trying to load the wallet... might need to restart the computer i guess

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
I just found it I had to do a search for it i dont know where it is normally kept 

what am i looking for in the app data folder for bitshares x? is it the wallets then backups?
i mean that would only make sense i just am making sure

in the "bitshares x" folder there are several folders .. such as "chains" "peersleveldb" etc .. most of them are just for database and blockchain stuff ..
the IMPORTANT folder is the "wallets" folder ..
in it there is a hidden folder called ".backups/default" ..

you can now either import one of those backups (preferable the latest one) .. or you copy the whole wallets folder into the "BitShares" folder (make sure to not overwrite the previous "defaults" folder but rename it before)

Offline foxjohn637

• View Profile
I just found it I had to do a search for it i dont know where it is normally kept 

what am i looking for in the app data folder for bitshares x? is it the wallets then backups?
i mean that would only make sense i just am making sure