Author Topic: segmentation fault  (Read 1692 times)

merockstar

anybody know how I can work around this bug?

Although deleting the mail folder seems to work it doesn't fix the underlying bug.

I believe this is the same bug as this one, in which a closure in part of the BitShares mail code captured a variable by-reference that went out-of-scope. That particular bug was fixed 26 days ago in the master branch, but since nearly everyone is on v0.4.24 and v0.4.25 has yet to be released, people would still be exposed to that bug.

So, if you are compiling from source, you could check out the master branch from git and compile that, and I think your problems should go away then (or don't and just wait for v0.4.25 if you want to be extra conservative and safe). If you depend on the pre-compiled executables, then you have no other choice then just waiting until v0.4.25 is released and just keep deleting the mail folder every time you make a transaction that causes a segfault.

ahh thanks for spelling that out. I am compiling, and I think i'd prefer a conservative approach, so I'll just keep deleting the mail folder. :)

Offline arhag

• View Profile
    • My posts on Steem
  • BitShares: arhag
  • GitHub: arhag

Although deleting the mail folder seems to work it doesn't fix the underlying bug.

I believe this is the same bug as this one, in which a closure in part of the BitShares mail code captured a variable by-reference that went out-of-scope. That particular bug was fixed 26 days ago in the master branch, but since nearly everyone is on v0.4.24 and v0.4.25 has yet to be released, people would still be exposed to that bug.

So, if you are compiling from source, you could check out the master branch from git and compile that, and I think your problems should go away then (or don't and just wait for v0.4.25 if you want to be extra conservative and safe). If you depend on the pre-compiled executables, then you have no other choice then just waiting until v0.4.25 is released and just keep deleting the mail folder every time you make a transaction that causes a segfault.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 07:57:02 am by arhag »

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
0.4.24 -- it seems like everytime I finally get the blockchain downloaded and make a transaction, the program crashes and I get a segmentation fault.

then it won't restart, unless I resync the blockchain. I just spent several hours syncing the blockchain only to immediately hit this for the second time today.

I had same issue and I solved that deleting the mail folder!!!  ( inside  .Bitshares folder ) before rerunning the wallet (or resseting the wallet database )

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 997D

That worked like a charm for fixing the segmentation fault.

Now I just wonder about this failure during transaction thing everybody else seems to be getting too...

Just for your information I had mentioned the problem on github a while ago and they said that it probably get fixed with the new client version....
https://github.com/BitShares/web_wallet/issues/467

merockstar

0.4.24 -- it seems like everytime I finally get the blockchain downloaded and make a transaction, the program crashes and I get a segmentation fault.

then it won't restart, unless I resync the blockchain. I just spent several hours syncing the blockchain only to immediately hit this for the second time today.

I had same issue and I solved that deleting the mail folder!!!  ( inside  .Bitshares folder ) before rerunning the wallet (or resseting the wallet database )

That worked like a charm for fixing the segmentation fault.

Now I just wonder about this failure during transaction thing everybody else seems to be getting too...

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani

Offline jsidhu

• View Profile
KEY9EZUvQjARsbqxC☻DQ261f6irmi1MxJj89 was entered an address somehow it got validated on the chain... maybe random maybe a hacker.

Opened a thread about it here...https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=12075.new#new

my symptoms were seeing scan failures running as a delegate.
Hired by blockchain | Developer
delegate: dev.sidhujag

merockstar