Author Topic: [ANN] Bitshares SMF login plugin  (Read 16303 times)

Offline islandking

• The king of the island
    • View Profile
You have a huge spam problem on the general discussion.
I've been working on a new electronic cash system that's fully peer-to-peer, with no trusted third party. - Satoshi

Offline bytemaster

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline jsidhu

• View Profile
ok delete sparkle client... but login doesn't work for me on OSX Mavericks!

It opens client but nothing more ... any ideas!?

Either the installer or the client itself will register the "bts" protocol handler (not sure).  So when you see a "bts://*" type url, that will be redirected to the client/wallet.  This appears to be a bit fragile.  I've had various luck with it working appropriately.  Someone said it didn't work for Firefox, I had it not work for Chrome.  I assume we'll have a better idea about this stuff as people post bug reports.

If anyone cares, it works like this.
1) Website generates unique button
2) user clicks on button -> wallet loads / unlocks wallet / chooses account.  Click ok.
3) Wallet then reopens webpage at login url and the handshake is completed.

You can use an unregistered account.  So it doesn't have to be done with a funded wallet.

In your case perhaps reinstalling BitShares client would overwrite bts settings with correct ones.  It is either that, or you need to learn how to change these settings inside OSX and have bts protocol handled by the Bitshares executable.

mhh ok .. but Delegate links and BTS account links out of forum are working well…

edit: sry my mistake ... also delegate and account linkg doesn't work currently :) so guess you'Re right
are you running the client already?
Hired by blockchain | Developer
delegate: dev.sidhujag

Offline jsidhu

• View Profile
how does automode work? You can skip the password somehow in the wallet? I can probably use this for my shopping carts which use the URI scheme..

Btw the uri is well known and is handled by the os and browser.. it is setup when you run the installer.. so maybe osx installer needs tweaking.
Hired by blockchain | Developer
delegate: dev.sidhujag

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
how to install bts handler plugin for firefox?

来自我的 HUAWEI P7-L00 上的 Tapatalk
http://wiki.bitshares.org/index.php/Developer/Build#System-wide_Installation_.28optional.29

it's part of the .desktop file
Code: [Select]
MimeType=x-scheme-handler/bts;

Offline alt

• View Profile
  • BitShares: baozi
how to install bts handler plugin for firefox?

来自我的 HUAWEI P7-L00 上的 Tapatalk

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Coool thing .. will give it a try once i installed those bts links here :)

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile

Either the installer or the client itself will register the "bts" protocol handler (not sure).  So when you see a "bts://*" type url, that will be redirected to the client/wallet.  This appears to be a bit fragile.  I've had various luck with it working appropriately.  Someone said it didn't work for Firefox, I had it not work for Chrome.  I assume we'll have a better idea about this stuff as people post bug reports.

2) user clicks on button -> wallet loads / unlocks wallet / chooses account.  Click ok.

You can use an unregistered account.  So it doesn't have to be done with a funded wallet.

In your case perhaps reinstalling BitShares client would overwrite bts settings with correct ones.  It is either that, or you need to learn how to change these settings inside OSX and have bts protocol handled by the Bitshares executable.

mhh ok .. but Delegate links and BTS account links out of forum are working well…

edit: sry my mistake ... also delegate and account linkg doesn't work currently :) so guess you'Re right
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline gamey

• View Profile
Will we be able to eventually login with a QR code?  I guess that is too much to ask for right now but this is headed in the right direction.

I suppose the button could be a QR code that if scanned was the initial URL.  Then it would be up to the wallet to handle the crypto aspect of it and pass it back off.  It seems possible, but not sure if a qr-code use is appropriate in such a situation.
I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit
Will we be able to eventually login with a QR code?  I guess that is too much to ask for right now but this is headed in the right direction.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline gamey

• View Profile

Offline gamey

• View Profile
Ok I have this working but not that thoroughly tested.  I know of a couple issues.  I still need to clean it up and then put a v0.1 on github.

The login is in automode, so it just skips asking for email/password.  However I can turn that option on. I am not sure which is preferred. I think I prefer it creating real emails and passwords so people can access their account without a functional wallet.  At least with an email address they can have their account reset if they value it.

The other features are that it autodownloads the robohash and has an option to put anyone using bitshares login into a distinct membergroup.

Currently that membergroup gives permission to a forum that the regular logins can't access.  Make a post !

I may put a autologin feature by redirecting to a bts protocol but that seems questionable.

The test site is bitsharesnation.org.  We have 20k users and growing.  Quite a userbase.  ;)

edit -
I need a new button.  The Bitshares button at the top is a login button if you have a wallet.

Please report any issues you have or suggestions as to something that might be useful.

I tested it out and it works great. I think we don't need passwords at all anymore and that is huge progress which Bitshares can market as a feature.

I think maybe micropayments for access to certain VIP threads would be the next feature to implement. This way you can have micropayments work as access control. In other cases reputation can work as access control.

I have seen some preliminary work on embedding fields into profiles via JSON.  I'm not sure if the website field is utilizing that but that is all easy to pull out and place in fields, but the fields have to be made.  Currently we can populate the website url on the forum.

Ideally it would be nice to have something that stated users were verified/registered.  As it currently is, people can fake names.  You can login without bts login button and use any account then just create the robohash for it.  So there is an implied security here that doesn't really exists.

Perhaps the best solution is 2 membergroups.  Those with bitshares logins and those with verified logins.  So if they are part of the verified login membership group, then they would be labeled as such.  Verified = registered accounts.

For the login, creating a password that is random but giving an option for an actual email address would be the best.  It can be easy to want to use your SMF account and not have a full wallet installed etc. 
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 11:14:55 am by gamey »

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
i'll prepare a button no problem
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit
Ok I have this working but not that thoroughly tested.  I know of a couple issues.  I still need to clean it up and then put a v0.1 on github.

The login is in automode, so it just skips asking for email/password.  However I can turn that option on. I am not sure which is preferred. I think I prefer it creating real emails and passwords so people can access their account without a functional wallet.  At least with an email address they can have their account reset if they value it.

The other features are that it autodownloads the robohash and has an option to put anyone using bitshares login into a distinct membergroup.

Currently that membergroup gives permission to a forum that the regular logins can't access.  Make a post !

I may put a autologin feature by redirecting to a bts protocol but that seems questionable.

The test site is bitsharesnation.org.  We have 20k users and growing.  Quite a userbase.  ;)

edit -
I need a new button.  The Bitshares button at the top is a login button if you have a wallet.

Please report any issues you have or suggestions as to something that might be useful.

I tested it out and it works great. I think we don't need passwords at all anymore and that is huge progress which Bitshares can market as a feature.

I think maybe micropayments for access to certain VIP threads would be the next feature to implement. This way you can have micropayments work as access control. In other cases reputation can work as access control.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads