Author Topic: Bandcamp now competing with music streaming services  (Read 2117 times)

Offline cob

• View Profile
  • BitShares: cobb
I'm curious what you think about management of credit to contributors on the BTS music chain; care to comment on that too? (Posted here: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=12163.0)

Yup, did that already. (:
I'd like to know more about key graph. Any good concise info out there? (please reply on that other thread so we don't screw everything up haha)
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline robrigo

Nice find Robrigo.

I disagree with the idea though. You have to give the market what the market wants. And that's full blown access to everything. You just have to figure out a way to make sure he artist isn't screwed over in the process.

What bandcamp is doing is giving you access to just that one artist's stuff for a price. You are paying for access sure, but not to the world's music library. The market isn't asking for that at all.

This is why we will be offering ACCESS to everything. If you really want the files while you are offline then yeah, you can pay the artist for that, sure.

As far as the die hard fans go. The coin/token is where it's at. Those people will be buying those up to access all the VIP perks.

Anyway that's the model we are following so far. After watching a boatload of Gerd Leonhard talks I can safely say PeerTracks is pretty confident we have a winning recipe.

This is all without even going into the curation benefits that stem from the existence of the coin/token too!

I didn't catch that the subscription service isn't across the entire bandcamp platform, but rather on a per artist basis.

You're right; that's totally different and definitely a much less attractive service IMO.

I'm curious what you think about management of credit to contributors on the BTS music chain; care to comment on that too? (Posted here: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=12163.0)

Offline cob

• View Profile
  • BitShares: cobb
Nice find Robrigo.

I disagree with the idea though. You have to give the market what the market wants. And that's full blown access to everything. You just have to figure out a way to make sure he artist isn't screwed over in the process.

What bandcamp is doing is giving you access to just that one artist's stuff for a price. You are paying for access sure, but not to the world's music library. The market isn't asking for that at all.

This is why we will be offering ACCESS to everything. If you really want the files while you are offline then yeah, you can pay the artist for that, sure.

As far as the die hard fans go. The coin/token is where it's at. Those people will be buying those up to access all the VIP perks.

Anyway that's the model we are following so far. After watching a boatload of Gerd Leonhard talks I can safely say PeerTracks is pretty confident we have a winning recipe.

This is all without even going into the curation benefits that stem from the existence of the coin/token too!
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline robrigo

Looks like they want to be the service that is known for supporting the artists... we should definitely keep an eye on their progress. I have a feeling that they are going to try to snatch up T-Swift's support before we can!

Apparently they take 15% of revenue until you sell over $5k, then they take 10%. I think PeerTracks will still have a better profit margin plus the artist coins going for it. It will be a battle of marketing though to be sure.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/nov/11/bandcamp-musicians-subscription-services