Author Topic: Bitcoin for Rockstars  (Read 2884 times)

Offline robrigo

Going off of what xeroc mentioned, I believe the Key graph functionality is meant to be an on chain graph database:

In computing, a graph database is a database that uses graph structures for semantic queries with nodes, edges, and properties to represent and store data. A graph database is any storage system that provides index-free adjacency.

I believe toast has been working on some aspects of this functionality over the past few days. Looking at recent github commits there has been work on edge and object records.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
KeyGraphs was toasts baby for keyid .. not sure if i repeat this correctly .. but basically it usea accountnames and can connect account names with an edge and give additional information on that edge .. it can also be (not sure how) verified data .. kind of "my preferred drummer is harry" or "was the drummer for the sons blabla" ..

You should either searxh the forum forum keygraph you page toast directly about it

Offline cob

• View Profile
  • BitShares: cobb
Another nice find!

Awesome read. Thanks.

We want to make each song uploader put in the names of each other individual involved with that song with the % he is owed when the song is played or sold. As far as putting that info up on a decentralized ledger, it's not part of the MVP.

This could be an amazing feature of the DAC though. This is the kind of thing that can attract competitors in the space to also plug into the blockchain since it's the best and most cost/time effective way to get the royalties paid out.

If everyone switched over from the archaic system to our blockchain... that's a whooole new revenue stream coming in.

This is one thing Eddie is really pushing for actually. We just had to prioritize all the features we wanted for this project and focus on the main one. Right now that's a curated streaming site. 2015 is going to be nuts.

Oh anybody care to fill me in on the key graphs thing? Damn I'm out of the loop with other projects. What is it, and how could it help?
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline robrigo

Sounds like an awesome usecase for KeyGraphs ..

TOOOOOAAAAASSSSSTTTT!!!! 8)

Agreed, I wasn't even thinking about that possibility! Edges could define the relationship from public accounts (one for each contributor) to an object (the song). A descriptor could define their role in the creation of the song such as singer, drummer, producer, etc.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
Sounds like an awesome usecase for KeyGraphs ..

TOOOOOAAAAASSSSSTTTT!!!! 8)

Offline robrigo

for me ... you just described the goals of MUSIC ...
AFAIK there are doing EXACTLY that! ..

maybe there will not be a reputation system in the beginning .. but the other things are what I expect MUSIC to solve ..

It would seem like it from the way Eddie mentions integrating with big players in the music industry. Has this been confirmed anywhere or any more specifics released?
If so it was certainly posted by cob: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2216

A DB on the blockchain to track information about all the contributors to a particular song as well as rights management seems a lot deeper than what PeerTracks has been advertising (artistcoins, automated payments, etc.)
The artists could issue bibercoinContrib and send these assets out to those .. not sure what you want to achieve with it ..

Apparently it isn't easy to figure out all of the behind the scenes contributors (who did the drums on "Dark Horse", is an example of this from the article) to a particular piece of music. The databases that currently exist for storing such information are fragmented and some require you to pay to use them. If the Music blockchain could somehow store such information with a reasonable amount of validity (i.e. based on a reputation system, or maybe an address controlled by a known artist can modify / add new entries for their songs) then it could potentially be a solution for that problem. The challenge comes down to, how can you maintain such a dataset in a decentralized manner? If anyone with an account can contribute to such a dataset, how do you sift the junk out? Reputation could be a factor, combined with maybe a larger fee than the network fee in order to deter would be spammers.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH

maybe there will not be a reputation system in the beginning .. but the other things are what I expect MUSIC to solve ..

It would seem like it from the way Eddie mentions integrating with big players in the music industry. Has this been confirmed anywhere or any more specifics released?
If so it was certainly posted by cob: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2216

A DB on the blockchain to track information about all the contributors to a particular song as well as rights management seems a lot deeper than what PeerTracks has been advertising (artistcoins, automated payments, etc.)
The artists could issue bibercoinContrib and send these assets out to those .. not sure what you want to achieve with it ..

Offline robrigo

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH

Offline robrigo

Very interesting read from an artist in residence at Spotify and crypto enthusiast: https://medium.com/backchannel/bitcoin-for-rockstars-ca8366802f9

Can the BTS Music blockchain solve the problem of tracking credit for music contributors on a blockchain? Surely it already solves the issue of payment to artists. To me, the challenge is verifying that information contributed is correct. Maybe leveraging a reputation system could automatically filter bogus / junk contributions, or only acknowledge entries to the credit DB from known musicians addresses?