Author Topic: BitBazaar concept  (Read 7337 times)

Offline jsidhu

• View Profile
I have contacted bitmarkets.  They said that they would be willing to do a fork so that their bitmarkets program works with bitshares.

The want to charge $200/hour as a consulting fee... I mentioned applying for a delegate job but they don't seem interested.

Does this seem like something that we would want to do???

This is their website: Voluntary.net and  http://cofactorsoftware.com

If its open source I can do it.

How is your delegate push coming along?  I really want to see you working on Open Bazaar and bitBazaar. :)
Hey,

I completed 3 of the carts... 8 left to go, in this round! Testing along the way. My delegate is up dev.sidhujag... I'd appreciate the votes. I hope by the time I'm done with the carts I'll be voted in by then.
Hired by blockchain | Developer
delegate: dev.sidhujag

Offline Rune

• View Profile
What's the difference between hiring a delegate to pay for this, or having them own a delegate that pays them to do it?

The important thing is that they clearly don't "get" the vision of bitshares. They also made sure to mention that they "accept USD and bitcoin" i.e. They do not want anything to do with our altcoin. If we were to collaborate with them, we would want to have the official bitmarkets client have bitUSD support.

Anyway it could still be really cool if we could just copy their code and improve and integrate it into our ecosystem (if it's worth it compared to developing a system from scratch). One of the cool things their system has is 2 of 2 escrow for bitcoin - we could simply keep that in place so that our bitbazaar will also support BTC with escrow, and then have third party escrow support only for bitUSD transactions. That will give us the desirable situation where the platform would be usable by bitcoiners who then are exposed and slowly converted to using bitUSD instead. It would give us something very valuable that we can advertise directly to bitcoin users that they will want to support.

Offline hpenvy

• View Profile
I have contacted bitmarkets.  They said that they would be willing to do a fork so that their bitmarkets program works with bitshares.

The want to charge $200/hour as a consulting fee... I mentioned applying for a delegate job but they don't seem interested.

How is your delegate push coming along?  I really want to see you working on Open Bazaar and bitBazaar. :)
=============
btsx address: hpenvy
Tips appreciated for good work

Offline fluxer555

• View Profile
What's the difference between hiring a delegate to pay for this, or having them own a delegate that pays them to do it?

Offline jsidhu

• View Profile

Hired by blockchain | Developer
delegate: dev.sidhujag

Offline gamey

• View Profile

This is only of significant initial value if we are  able to piggyback on the network effect of something larger.  A BTS only market by itself will bring very little value at this point. 

Go talk to enough random everyday crypto-geeks and you're going to hear at least one guy who wants to make the next Ebay.  Some of them may even try it.  It never works except for black-market stuff but BTC has that covered now.

All these sites die because sellers don't have enough buyers.  Why would BTS market be different?  It would in fact be worse.  Are sellers worried about volatility so much they'll adopt a platform with a small amount of buyers?  Doubtful.  What we'll end up with is a sad little market with a handful of people selling cheap commodity/digital items.

I know we have to start somewhere but I'd recommend people rethink the value of a market at this stage. 

If it is going to have value, it needs to be a BTC/bitUSD hybrid and the BTC guys would likely have to be bribed to go along with it.
I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline lil_jay890

• View Profile
$200/hr is reasonable for contract-based development. I bet you guys were "asking" too much instead of "offering" to sponsor their project with a delegate if they added bitUSD support.

I did tell them how a delegate would be able to offer them compensation for their work.  I still think this would be a viable option, but I'm not sure if something similar to bitmarkets is in the works right now by the core dev team.  I don't want to double up on work that's already being done.

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
$200/hr is reasonable for contract-based development. I bet you guys were "asking" too much instead of "offering" to sponsor their project with a delegate if they added bitUSD support.
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline lil_jay890

• View Profile
It's their way of politely declining our offer. I got the same answer.

I figured as much... Too bad. I liked their product.

Offline Rune

• View Profile
It's their way of politely declining our offer. I got the same answer.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
$200/hour? seriously? why am I doing all my stuff for almost free? .. ah .. I remember ... because I am a voluntary :)

Offline lil_jay890

• View Profile

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
The biggest problem for a fully crypto ebay is that it will suffer from the opposite problem that ebay does. Ebay suffers from rouge buyers, who receive the item and then complain that they didn't. Ebay always sides with the buyer since there are more of them and reverses the charges.

Since there are no reversible charges in crypto, a crypto ebay will suffer from rouge sellers, who wont ship the item, but will take payment.

Would Gateways help with this? Let's say the platform functions with the UIA "crypto_ebay_USD_IOU" it can do chargebacks in those situations correct?
That's the plan for more sofisticated UIAs .. however .. if you cannot trade them freely on the decentralized exchange you gain nothing against ebay/paypal

Offline cob

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: cobb
The biggest problem for a fully crypto ebay is that it will suffer from the opposite problem that ebay does. Ebay suffers from rouge buyers, who receive the item and then complain that they didn't. Ebay always sides with the buyer since there are more of them and reverses the charges.

Since there are no reversible charges in crypto, a crypto ebay will suffer from rouge sellers, who wont ship the item, but will take payment.

Would Gateways help with this? Let's say the platform functions with the UIA "crypto_ebay_USD_IOU" it can do chargebacks in those situations correct?
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline matt608

• View Profile
The more popular a site like this is the better the reputation systems work.

Durability against shutdown, lttle/no downtime + fast loading speeds would help increase transactions and therefore opportunities to build reputation, or scam, cutting the wheat from the chaff.

At the moment you hardly get any ordinary businesses on these kinds of market places but if one was set up that actually functioned as smoothly as ebay but without the fees, then it could bring in far more users.

e.g.  online advertising.  Having advertisers + content creators matched, like Google adsense or Izea https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyitfcJhRXA, but with much lower fees.  If the currency used had to be bitUSD that could being enough income to be allow virtually no fees.  The only fee is - risk using bitUSD.  There could be an online advertising section, someone could put up advertising space for sale on their blog.  Advertisers buy it.

Another market would be the buying/selling of websites, like flippa, but on bitzaaar.   

The site just needs to be reliable enough for people to trust it with other types of goods.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 04:47:51 pm by matt608 »