Author Topic: Too many missed and forked blocks due to new wallet  (Read 16795 times)

Offline monsterer

I can confirm that v0.4.24.1 isn't missing any blocks for me
My opinions do not represent those of metaexchange unless explicitly stated.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline svk

The network is currently having major issues with forks due to the latest client release, go to the home page on bitsharesblocks to get an idea. Delegate participation rate has been down to 60% but is now back to 87% at least, we've had confirmation times of >200s.

I would do, but I'm in a public library where only ports 80 and 443 are open, so no bitsharesblocks for me :|

I guess its a good job that not everyone upgraded, due to being asleep/lazy! :)

I'll get around to fixing that eventually! ;) The problem now is the delegates who are still on v0.4.24 or one of the release candidates for v0.4.25. There is a hardfork coming up in about 8 hours as well, and if your VPS server has less than 4gb of ram you might need to switch servers!

The section of last 10 missed blocks on bitsharesblocks is frozen, right?

It appears so!

I've just shut down the clients on Bitsharesblocks to try to upgrade to v0.4.25, there won't be any new data for a little while!
Worker: dev.bitsharesblocks

Offline arhag

• View Profile
    • My posts on Steem
  • BitShares: arhag
  • GitHub: arhag
I'll get around to fixing that eventually! ;) The problem now is the delegates who are still on v0.4.24 or one of the release candidates for v0.4.25. There is a hardfork coming up in about 8 hours as well, and if your VPS server has less than 4gb of ram you might need to switch servers!

It looks like there are currently 55 delegates on v0.4.25 right now. That is more than the 51 necessary. So worse case scenario I believe that means it should still be possible to determine the correct up-to-date consensus chain within a 16 minute period. It just might mean that it would take on average twice as long to get a transaction confirmed. Obviously getting a larger percentage of delegates to upgrade before the hard fork would be ideal.

Offline ripplexiaoshan

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: jademont
The network is currently having major issues with forks due to the latest client release, go to the home page on bitsharesblocks to get an idea. Delegate participation rate has been down to 60% but is now back to 87% at least, we've had confirmation times of >200s.

I would do, but I'm in a public library where only ports 80 and 443 are open, so no bitsharesblocks for me :|

The section of last 10 missed blocks on bitsharesblocks is frozen, right?
BTS committee member:jademont

Offline monsterer

Wow, ok. Well I think mine is on v0.4.24.1, although I can't check from here. I don't have a VPS, I have a dedicated server, so upgrading the RAM is difficult with 8h notice :|
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline ripplexiaoshan

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
good we had that experience before v1 is out...so we are better prepared to avoid situations like that in future.

PS Please change your post title to something more realistic, we don't need to overreact !

Sorry If I am not using the correct words. Please let me know the most appropriate word I should use, thank you.

I am not overreacting, actually this is the most serious network issue we ever had since the beginning of BTS.

btc38.com and yunbi.com just announced that due to this issue, they suspended all fund transferring, therefore a lot of Chinese users are wondering why, when the dev teams are sleeping...

Also, the price rising momentum due to the up of bitCNY is stopped due to the network issue, because people are afraid of transferring their fund.

So, please, please, more tests before releasing. We don't mind waiting, we have enough patience. :)

In the meantime:
"blockchain_average_delegate_participation": "87.07 %",

PS  Recommended Title:  "To many blocks missed the last few hours! Participation rate is dropping to low!"

A few minutes ago, the lowest participation rate was 57%.

http://blockchain.bitsuperlab.com/index.html
It seems bitsuperlab is on a fork?

Offline arhag

• View Profile
    • My posts on Steem
  • BitShares: arhag
  • GitHub: arhag
So, please, please, more tests before releasing. We don't mind waiting, we have enough patience. :)

It seems like the crashing issues have to do with low memory, which has become an issue with the latest update because of increased memory demands due to the recent changes to the code.

Perhaps more careful testing would discover these issues and give delegates a longer amount of time to upgrade their computers to meet the necessary demands. Or better yet perhaps the code could have been better optimized to not need such significant increased performance demands. And normally I agree that you want to test everything very carefully before pushing it out. But when there are serious security bugs discovered that need to be resolved... well it makes sense to cut some corners. Between a rock and hard place...

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
good we had that experience before v1 is out...so we are better prepared to avoid situations like that in future.

PS Please change your post title to something more realistic, we don't need to overreact !

Sorry If I am not using the correct words. Please let me know the most appropriate word I should use, thank you.

I am not overreacting, actually this is the most serious network issue we ever had since the beginning of BTS.

btc38.com and yunbi.com just announced that due to this issue, they suspended all fund transferring, therefore a lot of Chinese users are wondering why, when the dev teams are sleeping...

Also, the price rising momentum due to the up of bitCNY is stopped due to the network issue, because people are afraid of transferring their fund.

In the meantime:
"blockchain_average_delegate_participation": "87.07 %",

PS  Recommended Title:  "To many blocks missed the last few hours! Participation rate is dropping to low!"

Offline svk

Offline monsterer

Offline svk

Will more tests before releasing avoid this in future?

I'm just seeing a couple of broken image links?

Offline monsterer

Will more tests before releasing avoid this in future?

I'm just seeing a couple of broken image links?

Offline ripplexiaoshan

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani

« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 08:36:00 am by liondani »