Author Topic: CoinGecko * BitShares #11 * Developer 59%  (Read 10326 times)

Offline fuzzy

https://www.coingecko.com/en

Anyone else think this assessment is off?

I have contacted them MULTIPLE times in the past. Never changed anything...

I dont see why we cant reach out again though.  They did have many of the metrics right when I checked back in the day though.  Commits from invictus devs literally dwarfed all others...I personally think their algo is off.

*edit* looks like bobster is on it. Thank god for bobster. Thanks man for actively participating. Now I rly have to go.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 03:21:05 am by fuzzy »
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline bobster

• View Profile
bobster, the URL could probably use updating as well as there is no longer an 'X' in BitShares.
Keep up the good work CoinGecko. Community lets keep on moving up... BitShares Top 5 on CoinGecko

Yup you are certainly right. Didn't want to touch the URL previously because I didn't want all the old links linking into bitsharesx to break. But we can definitely do a redirect for those linking to bitsharesx to the new URL without the x :)

Thank you also for the nice blog post reviewing Bitshares performance on CoinGecko. We have tweeted it out :)

Offline mint chocolate chip

bobster, the URL could probably use updating as well as there is no longer an 'X' in BitShares.
Keep up the good work CoinGecko. Community lets keep on moving up... BitShares Top 5 on CoinGecko

Offline bobster

• View Profile
Hi guys, I'm Bobby, the co-founder of CoinGecko. I am really happy to see all the conversations happening around here on CoinGecko.

I hardly post in this forum but I have occasionally lurked around here since the Protoshares days. I've been following the progress of Bitshares for a long time and I really like the development, commitment and progress that I have seen from you guys.

I would like to take the opportunity here to say thank you for all the support, especially the user Shentist who tweeted us to inform us of all the changes. I would like to now reply here with some comments on the feedback that the others have remarked.

bing returns 36000 results, not 4800
alexa ranking is 232000 position, not 470000

I haven't checked anything else but I can bet that all their "stats" are wrong.

EDIT
bitsharestalk ranks141,721 with an improvement of 32,751 the last 3 months!

For Bing, we actually use the following search term "Bitshares coin". We add "coin" to the search term for all cryptocurrencies that do not have "coin" in their name.
For Alexa, I believe there was a discrepancy because we had previously listed the old bitshares-x.info website until Shentist tweeted us to update the link to bitshares.org

Yes, I think its highly inaccurate.

I'm not sure where it gets the developer numbers from, but our development is more active than most of the coins above us, which all have higher numbers.

The community rating is based on reddit subscriptions, facebook likes, and tweets, which means that it counts things we are weak at, and not this forum, which is our strength.  Also it means it doesnt give us much credit for our chinese community.

Finally, the public interest stats are much lower than they should be if you actually look at Alexa or bing search result numbers.

We have updated the Github URL to the correct one now and as a result of that, Bitshares is now ranking #5 on CoinGecko. Congrats to that!

We agree that Reddit, Facebook and Twitter does not give a full reflection of the community support since these services are banned in China and penalizes your community score more strongly than the other coins. I have been impressed by the level of support that you guys have received in China since the beginning. We are exploring other metrics where we can better evaluate community support received for coins. One of the options that we are exploring is forum activity stats. However do give us some time to work on this as this is a massive undertaking for us to collect data for all 161+ coins that we already track.

If they changed the logo and the homepage (it at least forwards) would be nice as well.

This site is an example of low hanging marketing fruit... if we can get them to update the stats to reflect reality we should be in the top 3.   We should also work to make sure that the information they publish about BitShares is as accurate and up to date as possible.   

Someone should draft a summary and give them the data they should publish about us.

Thank you, Dan for replying to this thread! I feel honored to receive a comment from the leader himself!
We are very open to updating Bitshares information listed on our website as shown in our previous correspondence with Shentist.
Feel free to continue tweeting us @coingecko or do drop us an email (I can't post my email link here as I'm a newbie but do find our email on our website footer) and we will update the information. One thing that I would like to point out is for someone to send us an updated About section for Bitshares if there are any new changes since we last wrote the 2 paragraphs.

Thank you once again for the support that you have shown to us. Look forward to hearing more from you folks via email and our Twitter!

Bobby, I love your site. It's awesome of you to come here and post. Thank you also for being so responsive. I'm sure this community can get behind Coingecko and help promote your business if we feel it is an accurate snapshot of BitShares' place in the world. ANd maybe it will encourage us to make some improvements as well...

The part I have a problem with is your use of "coin" in the Bing search term. I understand that you need a common denominator for these things. But with BitShares and the other 2.0's, no one uses the term "coin" anymore. The currency part is a fraction of the overall picture for us now. For "Stellar" or "Quark" or anything that uses a word that's common in other contexts, I understand that you need to delimit this somehow.

For sake of the 2.0's, which make up a substantial portion of your list and are being undervalued by the oversimplified "coin" search term, I'd suggest adding up (and perhaps averaging) a basket of search terms that are relevant and fair to all parties. For example, where x is the name of the "coin", run searches for "x coin", "x currency", "x exchange", and "x crypto". The "x exchange" search is pretty faithful for all the ones I tried (when you allow Bing to include "lower quality" results also) except for CounterParty, since that term has some common usage in exchanges. Therefore, for the "x exchange" search above, I might also include the cryptocurrency's three-letter abbreviation. For example, "x abc exchange" where abc is the common trading abbreviation. So that would be "Bitshares PTS exchange" and "Bitshares BTS exchange" (since the latter recently took over as the trading currency name). I was most interested to see that when you search for "Counterparty XCP exchange", that almost completely eliminates the irrelevant results.

You might think of some other useful terms to use also or you might find problems with some of mine; that was just my brainstorming. Anyway, I think using a basket of search terms would create a more honest result. And the 2.0's, which the action is moving towards, would value and use your site more highly.

Hi donkeypong, I looked at the search results of Bitshares again on Bing and agree that Bitshares is a unique enough term to generate relevant search results. As a result I have removed the word "coin" from the search term and we are now only using "Bitshares" as a search term for Bing. Thank you for the suggestion. Appreciate the feedback and support!

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
Hi guys, I'm Bobby, the co-founder of CoinGecko. I am really happy to see all the conversations happening around here on CoinGecko.

I hardly post in this forum but I have occasionally lurked around here since the Protoshares days. I've been following the progress of Bitshares for a long time and I really like the development, commitment and progress that I have seen from you guys.

I would like to take the opportunity here to say thank you for all the support, especially the user Shentist who tweeted us to inform us of all the changes. I would like to now reply here with some comments on the feedback that the others have remarked.

EDIT

For Bing, we actually use the following search term "Bitshares coin". We add "coin" to the search term for all cryptocurrencies that do not have "coin" in their name.
For Alexa, I believe there was a discrepancy because we had previously listed the old bitshares-x.info website until Shentist tweeted us to update the link to bitshares.org

I'm not sure where it gets the developer numbers from, but our development is more active than most of the coins above us, which all have higher numbers.

The community rating is based on reddit subscriptions, facebook likes, and tweets, which means that it counts things we are weak at, and not this forum, which is our strength.  Also it means it doesnt give us much credit for our chinese community.

Finally, the public interest stats are much lower than they should be if you actually look at Alexa or bing search result numbers.

We have updated the Github URL to the correct one now and as a result of that, Bitshares is now ranking #5 on CoinGecko. Congrats to that!

We agree that Reddit, Facebook and Twitter does not give a full reflection of the community support since these services are banned in China and penalizes your community score more strongly than the other coins. I have been impressed by the level of support that you guys have received in China since the beginning. We are exploring other metrics where we can better evaluate community support received for coins. One of the options that we are exploring is forum activity stats. However do give us some time to work on this as this is a massive undertaking for us to collect data for all 161+ coins that we already track.

If they changed the logo and the homepage (it at least forwards) would be nice as well.

This site is an example of low hanging marketing fruit... if we can get them to update the stats to reflect reality we should be in the top 3.   We should also work to make sure that the information they publish about BitShares is as accurate and up to date as possible.   

Someone should draft a summary and give them the data they should publish about us.

Thank you, Dan for replying to this thread! I feel honored to receive a comment from the leader himself!
We are very open to updating Bitshares information listed on our website as shown in our previous correspondence with Shentist.
Feel free to continue tweeting us @coingecko or do drop us an email (I can't post my email link here as I'm a newbie but do find our email on our website footer) and we will update the information. One thing that I would like to point out is for someone to send us an updated About section for Bitshares if there are any new changes since we last wrote the 2 paragraphs.

Thank you once again for the support that you have shown to us. Look forward to hearing more from you folks via email and our Twitter!

Bobby, I love your site. It's awesome of you to come here and post. Thank you also for being so responsive. I'm sure this community can get behind Coingecko and help promote your business if we feel it is an accurate snapshot of BitShares' place in the world. ANd maybe it will encourage us to make some improvements as well...

The part I have a problem with is your use of "coin" in the Bing search term. I understand that you need a common denominator for these things. But with BitShares and the other 2.0's, no one uses the term "coin" anymore. The currency part is a fraction of the overall picture for us now. For "Stellar" or "Quark" or anything that uses a word that's common in other contexts, I understand that you need to delimit this somehow.

For sake of the 2.0's, which make up a substantial portion of your list and are being undervalued by the oversimplified "coin" search term, I'd suggest adding up (and perhaps averaging) a basket of search terms that are relevant and fair to all parties. For example, where x is the name of the "coin", run searches for "x coin", "x currency", "x exchange", and "x crypto". The "x exchange" search is pretty faithful for all the ones I tried (when you allow Bing to include "lower quality" results also) except for CounterParty, since that term has some common usage in exchanges. Therefore, for the "x exchange" search above, I might also include the cryptocurrency's three-letter abbreviation. For example, "x abc exchange" where abc is the common trading abbreviation. So that would be "Bitshares PTS exchange" and "Bitshares BTS exchange" (since the latter recently took over as the trading currency name). I was most interested to see that when you search for "Counterparty XCP exchange", that almost completely eliminates the irrelevant results.

You might think of some other useful terms to use also or you might find problems with some of mine; that was just my brainstorming. Anyway, I think using a basket of search terms would create a more honest result. And the 2.0's, which the action is moving towards, would value and use your site more highly.

Offline Shentist

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • metaexchange
  • BitShares: shentist

EDIT

thanks for your words and information.

maybe our chinese side have ideas how to track their interest in bitshares. Have someone ideas how we could reflect the chinese activity? You are using some sides i don't know. Maybe they are trackable?

Offline bobster

• View Profile

EDIT

Feel free to continue tweeting us @coingecko or do drop us an email at hello @coingecko.com and we will update the information. One thing that I would like to point out is for someone to send us an updated About section for Bitshares if there are any new changes since we last wrote the 2 paragraphs.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 07:33:44 am by bobster »

Offline eagleeye

• View Profile

+5% +5%

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline Shentist

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • metaexchange

Offline Shentist

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • metaexchange
ok everything is now updated.

where can i find the new logo in good quality?

Offline bytemaster

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline Shentist

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • metaexchange
i already tweeted again for change of hompage and including bitsharesblocks.com as well.

Offline mint chocolate chip