Author Topic: [List] of Decentralized phenomena  (Read 999 times)

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc

Offline JimDowJones

• View Profile
Anyone have any materials about phenomena that have arose in decentralized manners? I was thinking about the perfect metaphor for DAOs in one way science itself is a good example of a decentralized phenomena. Science is more so an example of how techinical phenomena can arise in decentralized ways despite being in a political and social climate that burned thinking people at the stake. Science shows us that society can slow these phenomena down but it can never stop them out right.

Nowadays you don't get burned at the stake for thinking contrary ideas, we live in a different social climate. Though science is a good example of a decentralized phenomena, I think the beginnings of science mainly get across the power of decentralized phenomena to persevere in the face of adversaries and wide-spread ignorance.

While i was thinking about examples of decentralized phenomena for some reason internet memes came to mind. Believe it or not internet memes make millions of people laugh everyday, yet they have only become centralized in recent years when advertising corporations realized their power.

I think internet memes are good example of a decentralized development. They are like little very focused ideas that are funny and can be put together to acheive something totally different than what they did by themselves. Most of the time these memes are so specialized they dont even mean anything without the specific kinds of subject content.

When it comes down to it, the more popular memes are built like good programs, with modularity. You can use them in any which way your imagination takes you.

The best part about internet memes is they were never serious yet they became sensational. They are completely crowdsourced laughs that were developed during 15 minute study breaks and whenever people took a couple minutes out of their day to go look at funny stuff. Yet they took the internet by storm so that nowadays grumpy cat has a higher approval rate than congress and doge is now the face of a currency.