Author Topic: Charles Hoskinson - Business Development Delegate  (Read 10221 times)

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile

Delegates may publish a feed, but that is just free speech and they are not required to publish a feed.   

Is there a mechanism for non-delegates to publish feeds?

Yes, anyone registered as a delegate can publish a feed even if they are not in top 101.
count these feeds? Count all feeds published from standby  delegates if yes?

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 997D
only feeds by active delegates count to the overall median feed. but feeds by standby delegates are relevant in sofar as they are an argument for voting that stand by delegate in and as a backup.

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani

Delegates may publish a feed, but that is just free speech and they are not required to publish a feed.   

Yes, anyone registered as a delegate can publish a feed even if they are not in top 101.
count these feeds? Count all feeds published from standby  delegates if yes?

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 997D

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
BitUSD as currency

The argument isn't is it a currency, which is clearly not. The argument is if it is a true CfD subject to CFTC regulation. Those that take place in facilitating the markets would be the people exposed to liability namely delegates.

I don't think you can actually argue that bitUSD is a CFD. It is not a contract between buyer and seller and there is no date of settlement. It is not a derivative but rather it is its own asset just like BTS or BTC.

If anything, viewed from the U.S., bitUSD can be called CFND = Contract For No Difference...
I'd say BitUSD is a contract for difference but it is settled in BTS not in USD. Actually it is not really settled in BTS. Settling happens only virtually as the exchange rate of BTS and USD varies and BitUSD holders are exposed to the volatility of BTS but never get to own BTS since there is no expiration date.

Yeah, but SEC doesn't care if people lose or make BTS, as long as their invested USD are safe...
Everything else would be a weird.

Something else to consider: Regulatory institution regulate financial instruments in order to protect customers (aside from the tendency of any organisation to sustain itself through whatever means). The biggest threat to customers would be the default risk the CFD platform company poses. A major reason for regulation here is the non transparency about the amount of collateral the CFD company holds (the customer has no easy way to verify that). In that sense regulators should like BitShares a lot where the amount of collateral is transparent and there is no individual that could change the amount of collateral or run away with it.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 05:38:39 pm by delulo »

Offline kisa

• View Profile
BitUSD as currency

The argument isn't is it a currency, which is clearly not. The argument is if it is a true CfD subject to CFTC regulation. Those that take place in facilitating the markets would be the people exposed to liability namely delegates.

I don't think you can actually argue that bitUSD is a CFD. It is not a contract between buyer and seller and there is no date of settlement. It is not a derivative but rather it is its own asset just like BTS or BTC.

If anything, viewed from the U.S., bitUSD can be called CFND = Contract For No Difference...
I'd say BitUSD is a contract for difference but it is settled in BTS not in USD. Actually it is not really settled in BTS. Settling happens only virtually as the exchange rate of BTS and USD varies and BitUSD holders are exposed to the volatility of BTS but never get to own BTS since there is no expiration date.

Yeah, but SEC doesn't care if people lose or make BTS, as long as their invested USD are safe...

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
BitUSD as currency

Offline kisa

• View Profile
BitUSD as currency

clout

BitUSD as currency

Offline oldman

• View Profile
Regarding indemnity/legal aid fund - excellent idea.

I know there was a rather involved discussion about a certain percentage of BTS revenue being allocated to a reserve fund, the primary purpose of which would be to self-insure/provide liquidity in the event of some catastrophic market event.

Could the devs confirm the status of this fund? Has it been implemented or abandoned?

If abandoned we should give serious consideration to reinstating a reserve fund with very specific rules for use.

I do understand that a bunch of 100% pay delegates could be voted in to pay for legal costs if needed, but a dedicated reserve would be a very novel feature for a crypto-finance platform and would further the credibility/resiliency of BTS.

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit
You should see Harvard's law lab. They are doing some really interesting things in private, algorithmic law. http://lawlab.org/
+5%
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

charleshoskinson

You should see Harvard's law lab. They are doing some really interesting things in private, algorithmic law. http://lawlab.org/
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 01:05:53 am by charleshoskinson »

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
I find it funny that when I ask some people why they don't trust Bitcoin, Bitshares and Ethereum they bring up the point that they cannot read the source code.

But these same people can't read the laws on the books either. So they are willing to trust lawyers but not willing to trust people like us? Why is that?

In general most people aren't going to be reading smart contracts, Bitcoin source code, Bitshares source code, or Ethereum source code. But at least with source code it can be interpreted only one way (the correct way) and every other interpretation is incorrect. The law is so vague that for a while it can be interpreted one way and then in the future the same law can be reinterpreted in another way.

In a lot of cases I have an easier time trusting the code than I have trusting the law. Of course I have to follow both for different reasons but the source code at least follows some rules of logic.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

charleshoskinson

The SEC can do all of this but it would seem like an utterly stupid waste of money, damaging to both their reputation and to the US economy. Why would the SEC want to crush innovation, hurt the people who have good intentions in the crypto-space?

They can do it but a lot of different agencies have similar powers which they decide not to use. Why would the SEC go all out?

I've dealt with the SEC in a prior case involving my ex-gf's dad. They are a bizarre and fickle bunch. I have no idea why they pursue certain companies while missing the fraud of the banksters. The recent Chase issues and the long history of goldman sachs misconduct is an example of why government regulation is hazardous to a free society.   

Wouldn't this also work for Bitcoin and all of it's Counterparty/Mastercoin type functionality? I don't see how a delegate is any different from a miner so if they did attack delegates then delegates would go anonymous. Why would they want to push the delegates underground? It's not going to kill the Bitshares protocol and all it would do is remove a level of transparency.

Like they've done with online gambling, the DEA with the war on drugs, and the FDA has done with those that drink unpasteurized milk? Unfortunately, the outcome isn't the focus. Its the act of doing something that only seems to matter. Regardless of the human consequences.

Bitcoin has scripting as well and permits all sorts of functions which aren't used. I would say we'll find out by how they treat Bitcoin but from what we know so far I don't see how being a delegate is a significantly higher risk for most people than being a miner in Bitcoin.

Bitcoin has some complexity in its scripting system via the P2SH, but this pales to something that codius or ethereum is capable of also bitcoin scripts have no notion of state.

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
The SEC has a set of tests from the Howey test to the Hawaii Market Center test to judge whether something falls under the jurisdiction of the security exchange act of 1933 via the investment contract section. Generally speaking, vocabulary doesn't matter nor marketing material rather the substance of the transaction from which parties financially benefited, expectation of return, the medium upon which funds were solicited and the nature of the enterprise. It's a complex topic and generally is resolved by either a formal legal opinion (a more likely than not letter) or a no action letter directly from the SEC.

The SEC cannot arrest people, nor can it pursue criminal conduct. This is done typically either at the state level or via the DOJ. Usually actions are multi-agency with the IRS and SEC examining one plank and state law enforcement examining another. Also they tend to bundle enforcement together with emerging industries. A great example would be the crackdown on online gambling back in the early 2000s. There is also the ability to pursue international enforcement via treaty. The SEC can reach into over 80 countries if there was provable American participation in the event in question. How enforcement could be done would be for the SEC to issue a ruling on ICOs and apply it retroactively giving them the mandate to pursue anyone within some window (up to ten years, usually five or so). Most will be given the option to settle for a fine and some restrictions. Others will become the poster child of the enforcement action.

The SEC can do all of this but it would seem like an utterly stupid waste of money, damaging to both their reputation and to the US economy. Why would the SEC want to crush innovation, hurt the people who have good intentions in the crypto-space?

They can do it but a lot of different agencies have similar powers which they decide not to use. Why would the SEC go all out?

In terms of personal liability for running a delegate, if the person was connected to invictus during or before the AGS event, then it could invite additional scrutiny from the relevant bodies. The bigger issue is if a bitasset is considered a derivative under US law and subject to CFTC regulation. Bitshares cannot work without delegates under the current design therefore the CFTC can argue that its under their jurisdiction and pursue enforcement against the delegates for operating the network.
Wouldn't this also work for Bitcoin and all of it's Counterparty/Mastercoin type functionality? I don't see how a delegate is any different from a miner so if they did attack delegates then delegates would go anonymous. Why would they want to push the delegates underground? It's not going to kill the Bitshares protocol and all it would do is remove a level of transparency.

I understand in your case because you were involved from the very beginning. I don't understand why they would go after delegates who were not involved with Invictus from the beginning.
The same could be said about mining perhaps; however, bitcoin does not permit complex financial derivatives or arbitrary code to be run. Also miners are not elected nor are paid a salary for providing a host of network services beyond block validation.
Bitcoin has scripting as well and permits all sorts of functions which aren't used. I would say we'll find out by how they treat Bitcoin but from what we know so far I don't see how being a delegate is a significantly higher risk for most people than being a miner in Bitcoin.

I'll admit I haven't rushed to become a delegate myself so I understand your concerns.
I think the community should strongly consider a delegate indemnity fund to cover legal costs associated with operating a delegate. It's an added layer of security and support for the role. 
I agree with this.
I actually call these events DCCMs to avoid this very issue: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xG1hkPbk0uuavjPc_gt_eWxEUbWM1SlsxNmhGdRIUtg/edit
Good call. I'm preferring at least at this time to promote the concept of a gift economy. It should be free speech to give a gift to another with no strings attached.

People are practical and have to communicate complex concepts to others. It doesn't help much to add a layer of legal obfuscation as a CYA. I suppose it is necessary, however.

I guess this is how lawyerts make money. They can basically make the law so confusing and have so many laws that no one can do anything without breaking some obscure archaic law from the 1930s. It's a situation where it's death by legal complexity unless we repeal and reform a lot of these outdated laws.

But I realize it's very easy to create many pages of laws which never get read and very difficult to repeal them. Obamacare is a good example. No one I know to this day has read all the pages of Obamacare and this means think tanks/politicians can exploit a bug in the system (attention scarcity) to put esoteric complex laws in place which we have to follow. They do this to create barriers to economic opportunity for people who cannot afford to consult with a lawyer for their every decision.

Offline bytemaster

BM you mentioned in mumble weeks ago plans to dissolve I3, Is that still the plan?

It would make it that much harder for any regulator body if their was no company to attack.

I3 will continue to exist as a legal entity for the sole purpose of handling any future regulatory inquiry, tax audits, etc.  In other words, fully dissolving I3 makes things far more difficult than mothballing the company and putting it on minimal life support.    After a few years pass and it becomes clear the government is done with I3 then we can close it down for good.

Starting 2014 I3 will have no full time employees and will no longer be involved in the crypto currency space.   

These statements should not be taken as binding, we remain free to use I3 as necessary. 
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline bytemaster

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.