Author Topic: Successful DAC: should its currency also become successful outside its scope?  (Read 1793 times)

Offline bytemaster

A DAC does not need to become a currency if it has utility from owning it.  Just like APPL stock does not need to be a currency to command a market price.

I love the idea of a CHESS DAC.... Assuming there is a way to rapidly verify a proposed move as being the 'best' move. 
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline AdamBLevine

• View Profile
    • Let's Talk Bitcoin!
You are correct, or at least to my eyes.   The missing portion is another meta-layer, so instead of Chess DAC being all by itself, it lives on "Games, DAC Platform".  To buy ChessCoin, you first need to buy GamesCoin which works on the Games, DAC Platform market.  You can then transmute GamesCoin into ChessCoin.

I wrote a paper about this, https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PBjrpMBViJh1-QrWJ80XMcQmhqcG3NhhoeSn0C_ML7Y/edit?usp=sharing
Email me at adam@letstalkbitcoin.com

Offline greyman

• View Profile
Hello
I am new here, and first of all I'd like to say that you do great things here and I am intrigued by this whole concept of DACs.

Now, let's see if I understood the concept of DAC correctly. As a thought experiment, I came up with the following example: let's say there would be something like Chess-DAC. The mining algorithm could be modified that the miners would compute chess positions and will be awarded by chesscoins, and those chesscoins could be spent on various services provided for the DAC - analyzing chess positions, opening database services, test games, etc. I believe, such product could also outcompete the locally-run chess engines by having much stronger computing power behind it. Also, the blockchain could employ real chess Grandmasters, chess programmers, or it could automatically run tournaments with chesscoin prices. Is this a good example of what could be a DAC?

But the point I am not clear about - please help me to better understand it - is how necessary it is for the DACs currency, in this example chesscoin, to also become viable and successful general-purpose cryptocurrency? It certainly would be desirable, but I am unclear whether it is also necessary. Because the DAC wants that its employers (miners, grandmasters) will behave according to their own economical interest, to benefit themselves, and for this it seems to me that the chesscoin will need to have some real value outside the DAC (like BTC or LTC for example). I am correct here? Otherwise, it will become something just like a toy currency, or a DAC will be just a normal paid service (I need to buy chesscoin with fiat to use Chess-DAC services, but chesscoin would be useless outside of it and I also can't earn it outside of the Chess-DAC).

But this is where I see an Achiless' heel of this whole concept: it is extremely difficult for the DACs currency to become viable cryptocurrency, and it requires very big marketing power, among other things. For example, I am following the dogecoin from its beginning, and it has insane amount of viral marketing behind itself, but still, it is not clear whether it will succeed.

In the altcoin space, I also discovered another issue, which is, that all the altcoins basically compete with each other: for example, Litecoin difficulty went up and up until December, but when Dogecoin came, and a lot of miners switched to it, since it was more profitable, and then the Litecoin difficulty surprisingly went down as a result. What I saw then was that some LTC enthusiasts became somewhat nervous about dogecoin, since if your overall hashrate is going down, the investor's trust in the currency also decreases. Here, the bigger the network, the better.

So for an altcurrency to be successful, it needs a lot of resources like miners, marketers, programmers, online services, shops, etc. etc., and basically all the cryptocurrencies are competing for this limited resources. Can the above mentioned chesscoin or any other DAC-coin compete in such a space?This is what I would like to heard from Invictus - how are they going to solve this marketing problem?