Author Topic: New Blog Post - Join the BitShares Community!  (Read 6108 times)

Offline fundomatic

• View Profile
I think

The BitShares community is a group of individuals who are looking to change the world through innovation and cooperation. Our goal is to create a free society by systematically replacing the role of government with free market, non-violent alternatives ...

is quite cleverly balanced with

...while making everyone in the community a ton of money

Try to balance the 'idealist' perspective with some 'realist' perspecitve and make it sound as casual and certain. This version would probably contain the most appeal to both groups.

Good read, sounds honest and to the point.

I didn't know you could mine bitshares though, is it like in delegates?

Offline matt608

• View Profile
I would reduce the first paragraph to just:
"The BitShares community is a group of individuals who are looking to change the world through innovation and cooperation."

and reduce point 3 to just:
"When you buy BitShares you become a voting member of our community and can help contribute to the governance of our community. By owning BitShares you have put your money where your mouth is and get to share in the wealth produced by our growing community."  That explains it perfectly, no need for the over-selling.

Other wise I thought it was great.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 10:13:43 pm by matt608 »

Offline davidpbrown

I think it's a mistake to introduce too many political overtones. That introduction is a gamble that appeals only to those who are on that side of the fence. The political consequences will take care of themselves.. make it too easy to join, not controversial. Politics divides people, it does not draw them together. If you want the most people on your side, then those who get it will come seeing the potential; and let others come mistaking what it will do for them. Equally, the community moderation should be politically neutral; let BitShares utility do the hard work of changing minds.

So, instead of
>  Our goal is to create a free society
in places, I would suggest more that the vision is about empowering individuals and allowing them control and opportunity.
฿://1CBxm54Ah5hiYxiUtD7JGYRXykT5Z6ZuMc

Offline graffenwalder

I'm not that bothered with the capitalist tone.
What does bother me, is that it sounds a bit desperate:

If we can find 1,000,000 people (Just 0.3% of US population) to each buy $100 worth of BTS then we will generate $100 million dollars worth of buying demand which directly helps fund the development of the tools of freedom.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 09:46:31 pm by Graffenwalder »

Offline kisa

• View Profile
My honest opinion: I am biased on the tone of this post.  Examples:

...while making everyone in the community a ton of money.

You can help by lending our community your money

Would you be willing to skip a couple of meals to help create a better world?

Clearly stating what the possibility (incl. the financial ones) are to get involved makes sense so that people know what their possibilities are but the message the above statements can convey (to me, totally subjective, maybe its a European perspective): It is about making money, not about changing the world. We want your money for our purposes. Cheesy. 

Instead the money making possibility could be introduced in subtle way (not that blunt/cheesy) and the reader should make the conclusion himself that money can be made here.

yes agree making "ton of money" sounds somewhat weird for an european ear, here trying to get rich is often viewed as disrespectful motive...

how about aknowledging that different people may join community for somewhat different reasons? some put more weight on changing the world, some put more weight on making money. still, that's unlikely that most people looking for new ways to get rid of their savings to improve the world. also unlikely that those who want to get rich without sticking with any ideas and ideals have the patience and conviction to stay on.

not to forget is educational motivation and intellectual stimulation with regards to new technologies and cutting edge economics and social aspects. or some may just feel lonely off line, who knows ;) so, indeed, there is some mix for most of us, and everyone should be able to find the right balance, as long as they adhere to the core principles such as freedom, fairness etc... perhaps it is a matter of style how to express this for various cultures?

« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 10:20:51 pm by kisa »

Offline oco101

• View Profile

Clearly stating what the possibility (incl. the financial ones) are to get involved makes sense so that people know what their possibilities are but the message the above statements can convey (to me, totally subjective, maybe its a European perspective): It is about making money, not about changing the world. We want your money for our purposes. Cheesy. 

Instead the money making possibility could be introduced in subtle way (not that blunt/cheesy) and the reader should make the conclusion himself that money can be made here.
+1

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
^ yep. You could say "use bitUSD" everywhere you said "buy" it.
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Xeldal

Clearly stating what the possibility (incl. the financial ones) are to get involved makes sense so that people know what their possibilities are but the message the above statements can convey (to me, totally subjective, maybe its a european perspective): It is about making money, not about changing the world. We want your money for our purposes. 

Instead the money making possibility should be subtle and the reader should make the conclusion himself that money can be made here.

I had the same reactions.  +5%

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile

« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 08:56:45 pm by delulo »

Offline islandking

• The king of the island
    • View Profile
 +5% Great post Bytemaster :) You hit on some really key points and the post is very newbie friendly.

I think this is a good place for us to point new users so they know how they can get involved in the community and why.
I've been working on a new electronic cash system that's fully peer-to-peer, with no trusted third party. - Satoshi

Offline bytemaster

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.