Author Topic: CoinGecko * BitShares #11 * Developer 59%  (Read 10334 times)

Offline bobster

• View Profile
The 'search count' on Google and Bing are not an actual count, they are just estimates that are not based on the actual count. See here for reference.

I would suggest going by search volume instead, which you can obtain by using the Google AdWords API.

Thank you for the suggestion. We will study the Google AdWords API in greater detail to see if this is possible.

Offline fluxer555

• View Profile
The 'search count' on Google and Bing are not an actual count, they are just estimates that are not based on the actual count. See here for reference.

I would suggest going by search volume instead, which you can obtain by using the Google AdWords API.

Offline bobster

• View Profile
@bobster

we do you just use bing?

nearly no one use it in europe

why not google?

thanks

We wanted to use Google too but Google does not have an API (it is deprecated). Somehow Google is very protective of their data these days :(
Since we are going for search result count, we figured Bing could be a good alternative. The Bing API works perfectly in getting the search result count

Offline Shentist

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • metaexchange
  • BitShares: shentist
@bobster

we do you just use bing?

nearly no one use it in europe

why not google?

thanks

Offline bobster

• View Profile
bobster, the URL could probably use updating as well as there is no longer an 'X' in BitShares.
Keep up the good work CoinGecko. Community lets keep on moving up... BitShares Top 5 on CoinGecko

Yup you are certainly right. Didn't want to touch the URL previously because I didn't want all the old links linking into bitsharesx to break. But we can definitely do a redirect for those linking to bitsharesx to the new URL without the x :)

Thank you also for the nice blog post reviewing Bitshares performance on CoinGecko. We have tweeted it out :)

Great work on Coingecko! As a feature request I would ask that you consider factoring in each project's specific forum stats into your Community algorithm.

Thanks for being receptive,

Rob

Hi Rob, we are taking out initial first steps in gathering forum data just as you wrote this message! Talk about perfect timing :)
We are still not entirely sure how we can incorporate it into the ranking algorithm as some coins' forum do not provide stats. This is still in early-stage implementation and we hope we can figure some common patterns and fair way to represent each coin's forum data.
Also we now track over 160+ coins so we will require some time to gather all the forum data before you see it live on CoinGecko. But you can be assured that we are working on this!

Glad to hear it. Thanks again for running your site. I like the added depth it provides into crypto projects via the developer and community stats.

Great to hear that. Hope you continue liking our site and using it more frequently :)
Do let us know if there are more feedback, comments or suggestions. Thanks!

Offline robrigo

bobster, the URL could probably use updating as well as there is no longer an 'X' in BitShares.
Keep up the good work CoinGecko. Community lets keep on moving up... BitShares Top 5 on CoinGecko

Yup you are certainly right. Didn't want to touch the URL previously because I didn't want all the old links linking into bitsharesx to break. But we can definitely do a redirect for those linking to bitsharesx to the new URL without the x :)

Thank you also for the nice blog post reviewing Bitshares performance on CoinGecko. We have tweeted it out :)

Great work on Coingecko! As a feature request I would ask that you consider factoring in each project's specific forum stats into your Community algorithm.

Rob

Hi Rob, we are taking out initial first steps in gathering forum data just as you wrote this message! Talk about perfect timing :)
We are still not entirely sure how we can incorporate it into the ranking algorithm as some coins' forum do not provide stats. This is still in early-stage implementation and we hope we can figure some common patterns and fair way to represent each coin's forum data.
Also we now track over 160+ coins so we will require some time to gather all the forum data before you see it live on CoinGecko. But you can be assured that we are working on this!

Glad to hear it. Thanks again for running your site. I like the added depth it provides into crypto projects via the developer and community stats.

Offline bobster

• View Profile

Rob

Offline bobster

• View Profile

Anyone else think this assessment is off?

I have contacted them MULTIPLE times in the past. Never changed anything...

I dont see why we cant reach out again though.  They did have many of the metrics right when I checked back in the day though.  Commits from invictus devs literally dwarfed all others...I personally think their algo is off.

*edit* looks like bobster is on it. Thank god for bobster. Thanks man for actively participating. Now I rly have to go.

Hi fuzzy, sorry if you did not receive a response from us in the past. It was never our intention. We are trying our best.
Anyway in the future, feel free to reach out to me via email at bobby [at] coingecko [dot] com if you have any updates for us :)

Hello Bobster, thanks for the changes you've included so far to better track Bitshares activity. I feel like you should also include these two repositories:

github. com/BitShares/web_wallet
github. com/BitShares/qt_wallet

This is where all the development for the official QT wallet is happening. Unlike Bitcoin and I suppose most other coins, Bitshares has a separate repository for this. It is the equivalent of this:

github. com/bitcoin/bitcoin/tree/master/src/qt

To correctly account for Bitshares development activity you should add all the counts for those two to what you're already tracking.

Cheers,
svk

Hi svk, we currently only track 1 main core repository for each coin. We have received 1-2 other requests like this but we are being very cautious about this because we want to be as fair as possible for all coins and do not want to be accused of favoritism. By tracking other repos for Bitshares, we will also need to do the same for all the other coins. It is not impossible, but we really need to take a lot more time to study the situation before making a call. Thanks for the suggestion.

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
Bobster gave me the rate card for CoinGecko's advertising. I've passed it along to nullstreet.

Offline Troglodactyl

• View Profile
How does CoinGecko calculate the average users online under community?  CoinGecko shows that number for Bitcoin at 806, and BitShares as only 5, but both use SMF which reports the average online per day at BitcoinTalk.org as 324.31 (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=stats) and the same for BitsSharesTalk.org as 151.66 (https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?action=stats).

On the CoinGecko rankings, click "BitShares" and scroll down, you will see the stats more broken down. The "5" relates to the number of users online on Reddit http://www.reddit.com/r/BitShares

Ah, thank you, that makes much more sense.

Offline mint chocolate chip

How does CoinGecko calculate the average users online under community?  CoinGecko shows that number for Bitcoin at 806, and BitShares as only 5, but both use SMF which reports the average online per day at BitcoinTalk.org as 324.31 (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=stats) and the same for BitsSharesTalk.org as 151.66 (https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?action=stats).

On the CoinGecko rankings, click "BitShares" and scroll down, you will see the stats more broken down. The "5" relates to the number of users online on Reddit http://www.reddit.com/r/BitShares

Offline Troglodactyl

• View Profile

Offline robrigo

Rob

Offline svk

I dont see why we cant reach out again though.  They did have many of the metrics right when I checked back in the day though.  Commits from invictus devs literally dwarfed all others...I personally think their algo is off.

*edit* looks like bobster is on it. Thank god for bobster. Thanks man for actively participating. Now I rly have to go.

Hi fuzzy, sorry if you did not receive a response from us in the past. It was never our intention. We are trying our best.
Anyway in the future, feel free to reach out to me via email at bobby [at] coingecko [dot] com if you have any updates for us :)

Hello Bobster, thanks for the changes you've included so far to better track Bitshares activity. I feel like you should also include these two repositories:

https://github.com/BitShares/web_wallet
https://github.com/BitShares/qt_wallet

This is where all the development for the official QT wallet is happening. Unlike Bitcoin and I suppose most other coins, Bitshares has a separate repository for this. It is the equivalent of this:

https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/tree/master/src/qt

To correctly account for Bitshares development activity you should add all the counts for those two to what you're already tracking.

Cheers,
svk
Worker: dev.bitsharesblocks

Offline bobster

• View Profile