Author Topic: do the api support dividends?  (Read 1995 times)

Offline bytemaster

But only after 1.0?

Maybe it's just my perception, I'm getting nervious about feature creep. What's the absolute minimum things that need to be done to lock down a 1.0 and get the focus on gateways and lightweight clients?

I concur.... we need to cut feature creep. 
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline hpenvy2

• View Profile
But only after 1.0?

Maybe it's just my perception, I'm getting nervious about feature creep. What's the absolute minimum things that need to be done to lock down a 1.0 and get the focus on gateways and lightweight clients?

Offline arhag

• View Profile
    • My posts on Steem
  • BitShares: arhag
  • GitHub: arhag
No API to dump snapshot of asset holders.

Then how can big guys like overstock uses our platform to issue shares and pay dividends ? by buying back ?

Buying back is my preferred approach to dividends from efficiency and tax perspective.   I didn't say it couldn't be added in the future, just that it is not there yet.

How about a future feature to automatically allocate a new UIA to a snapshot of another asset (UIA, BTS, or even BitAssets)?

An issuer of UIA-A can create a snapshot at time T1 creating UIA-A-T1. UIA-A-T1 is a claim on the dividends meant for UIA-A by the snapshot time T1. The UIA-A issuer can then put a buy wall in the UIA-A-T1/BitUSD market at a price of (total BitUSD dividend for UIA-A at snapshot time T1)/(total outstanding UIA-A supply at time T1). The issuer would provably destroy the UIA-A-T1 as they buy it from the market.

This would be a more straightforward operation than mass transactions to a manual snapshot of UIA-A holders. If the cost of creating the UIA-A-T1 snapshot was small, it can also be cheaper in terms of total transaction fees for the issuer.

Furthermore, IANA tax attorney, but one may be able to argue that the UIA-A-T1 asset is a gift with a zero cost basis and therefore simply receiving the asset does not create any tax liability. However, when the user goes to actually sell UIA-A-T1 for their share of the BitUSD dividend, they then create a taxable event and have to pay the appropriate capital gains taxes.

The snapshot feature has another important role. One could issue a UIA snapshot of BTS at some point, then use the UIA proposal voting features to understand what BTS stakeholders want. We would no longer need to assume what is in the best interests of the stakeholders when making important decisions. Just put a proposal on the blockchain and let them vote on the given options.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 06:52:53 pm by arhag »

Offline fluxer555

• View Profile
But only after 1.0?

Offline bytemaster

Then how can big guys like overstock uses our platform to issue shares and pay dividends ? by buying back ?

Buying back is my preferred approach to dividends from efficiency and tax perspective.   I didn't say it couldn't be added in the future, just that it is not there yet.
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline btswildpig

• View Profile

这个是私人账号,表达的一切言论均不代表任何团队和任何人。This is my personal account , anything I said with this account will be my opinion alone and has nothing to do with any group.

Offline bytemaster

Offline alt

• View Profile
  • BitShares: baozi
I want to get the address of BTSBOTS holder, and the balance
and transfer BITCNY to multi address one time.
do we have api to support these?
thanks