Author Topic: Clarification on terms: "official", "unofficial", and "3rd party"  (Read 2760 times)

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
Random thought, which maybe betrays how little I know about VOTE but... is there any way FMV can be used to establish what exactly social consensus is, if it exists?

It would let you measure aggregate opinion about BTS, but not by the metric we want: stake-vote. We need a separate tool for stake-polling.
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline slacking

• View Profile
I was running out of the house when I posted this, so forgive the lack of detail here. What I meant to say is that the forum should be reorganized in a manner that is more consistent with the current structure of our community. Before the merger we had I3, DACSunlimited, and the blockchain. The forum was a Bitshares Toolkit forum primarily directed towards advancing the interests of the Toolkit, and BTSX was just one of many 3rd party DACs built on the Toolkit.

Today, there is no I3 and there is no DACSunlimited. Only the BTS blockchain remains. As a result, this forum is now primarily directed towards the development of the BitShares DAC. I believe the top-level "Discussion" forum should just be renamed to "BitShares" and the "BitShares" subforum should be removed from "Distributed Autonomous Companies". The "Distributed Autonomous Companies" subforum should then be renamed to "Third-party DACs". This will make it clear that this forum is the BTS forum and that other DACs which share a common ancestry with BTS are third party (PTS, Music, Sparkle, etc).

I agree. The forum does need to be streamlined so good idea.

merockstar

Random thought, which maybe betrays how little I know about VOTE but... is there any way FMV can be used to establish what exactly social consensus is, if it exists?

Offline Rune

• View Profile
Things have changed since the merger/dissolution. If you insist upon using the terms "official" and "unofficial", I'd like to propose that going forward you use the term "official" to refer to anything supported by a shareholder consensus of BTS. Anything other than BTS should be tagged as "3rd party" (PTS, Sparkle, Music, etc.) and anything BTS-related that has not gained consensus is "unofficial". I prefer to avoid these terms entirely, but if someone insisted on labeling something as "official" I would point them to the blockchain. Just my 2 bits.

Good idea. To do this, we need to specifically define what is the content of 'shareholder consensus of BTS'. I think this is especially impartant now that everything is running based on it, and such consensus is the key part of our community. Especially, if such censensus is not clearly defined, nothing can be viewed as against the consensus even when actually it is.

I think when our community is bigger and more mature we could have great benefit from a reddit style forum where you can upvote with your stake. The biggest issue with this is privacy protection, as you have to reveal your stake in order to register or vote with it. Maybe when tumblers and ring signatures and other advanced privacy stuff is implemented, then we can implement this completely p2p as a shareholder forum on the blockchain.

Offline cn-members

• View Profile
Things have changed since the merger/dissolution. If you insist upon using the terms "official" and "unofficial", I'd like to propose that going forward you use the term "official" to refer to anything supported by a shareholder consensus of BTS. Anything other than BTS should be tagged as "3rd party" (PTS, Sparkle, Music, etc.) and anything BTS-related that has not gained consensus is "unofficial". I prefer to avoid these terms entirely, but if someone insisted on labeling something as "official" I would point them to the blockchain. Just my 2 bits.

Good idea. To do this, we need to specifically define what is the content of 'shareholder consensus of BTS'. I think this is especially impartant now that everything is running based on it, and such consensus is the key part of our community. Especially, if such censensus is not clearly defined, nothing can be viewed as against the consensus even when actually it is.
BTS中文区发言人公共账号,帮助社区有效沟通与交流。
Chinese Community Spokesman Account,to help the effective communication between Chinese and other members of the community.We're not translators to do regular translations , but will help with vital ones as we see fit and available at that time.

merockstar

What's a more clearly descriptive word to use instead of official?

I agree, it's not quite right.

Offline bytemaster

I was running out of the house when I posted this, so forgive the lack of detail here. What I meant to say is that the forum should be reorganized in a manner that is more consistent with the current structure of our community. Before the merger we had I3, DACSunlimited, and the blockchain. The forum was a Bitshares Toolkit forum primarily directed towards advancing the interests of the Toolkit, and BTSX was just one of many 3rd party DACs built on the Toolkit.

Today, there is no I3 and there is no DACSunlimited. Only the BTS blockchain remains. As a result, this forum is now primarily directed towards the development of the BitShares DAC. I believe the top-level "Discussion" forum should just be renamed to "BitShares" and the "BitShares" subforum should be removed from "Distributed Autonomous Companies". The "Distributed Autonomous Companies" subforum should then be renamed to "Third-party DACs". This will make it clear that this forum is the BTS forum and that other DACs which share a common ancestry with BTS are third party (PTS, Music, Sparkle, etc).

+1
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline alphaBar

• View Profile

Offline alphaBar

• View Profile
I don't like these terms to begin with, but I'd like to share my personal opinion on this because I think the meanings have changed somewhat since the dissolution of I3. In the past, some community members (probably wrongfully) considered I3 to be the only "official" entity. Anything outside of I3, even if it was supported by community consensus would be considered "unofficial" or "3rd party" (to some people).