Author Topic: Advertising "The Blockchain Is Hiring"  (Read 5155 times)

Offline sschechter

• View Profile
Usually devs dont sell so as they get paid they gain incentive to do good for the project. Thus 2000-3000 becomes irrelevent once the stash is big enough

They will sell if they need to pay the bills...

Anyways, it doesn't matter.  I'll vote for whoever is qualified and can produce results.  But I am wary about finding developers in the bargain bin. Silicon Valley pays the best because they get the best results....not because they are nice.
BTSX: sschechter
PTS: PvBUyPrDRkJLVXZfvWjdudRtQgv1Fcy5Qe

Offline jsidhu

• View Profile
Usually devs dont sell so as they get paid they gain incentive to do good for the project. Thus 2000-3000 becomes irrelevent once the stash is big enough
Hired by blockchain | Developer
delegate: dev.sidhujag

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
This video style is awesome.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW60h6oZzms

I could script a couple of things that it must have, but ad hoc comments work well too.   But we need someone in Virginia to shoot that.     It would be awesome.

How is this coming along? Would be nicely suited for the "Jobs" section on the new website.

I have not done anything with this project.   Is there anyone in Virginia who could shoot it?

I have offered to shoot it.  Just tell me what you need.
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline bitmarket

• View Profile
    • BitShares TV

I could script a couple of things that it must have, but ad hoc comments work well too.   But we need someone in Virginia to shoot that.     It would be awesome.

How is this coming along? Would be nicely suited for the "Jobs" section on the new website.

I have not done anything with this project.   Is there anyone in Virginia who could shoot it?
Host of BitShares.TV and Author of BitShares 101

Offline sschechter

• View Profile
I wouldnt move there cause i know whats coming for the states also i like living std where i am and my family is here is that good enough?

Im sure i can be paid more in the states but do i care at this point? No

Certainly there are great developers all over the world, and in many cases they prefer to remain where they are, over some superficial metric like pay rate, like yourself.

However with BitShares, developers don't just develop our projects, they make up a large portion of our user base - and they are some of the few who actually understand our product and how it works.  Any effort in recruiting for developers doubles as a recruiting effort for new users.  Someone may balk at the idea of working for BitShares initially, only to discover this community and slowly dip their toes in the water.

We already know that 2000-3000 a month is NOT enough for the majority of developers in America.  So who does that leave us with?

1. Part time employees who have a full time job elsewhere
2. Full time employees in a country with a lower standard of living
3. Unemployed seeking temporary work
4. Those who don't need to work but want their investments to flourish

In my opinion, the group in number 4 is the group that is the most valuable.  Those are the people with disposable income who have extra money to invest in BitShares.  This guy is not concerned whether he is earning $2000 or $3000 a month, hes in it for the big haul. He's here to protect the 100k he invested. He also has friends.  Hes going to tell his friends with money about BitShares.  The guy in India who has no skin in the game outside his paycheck and doesn't care about telling his friends - or they are in the same income bracket and also don't have money to invest.  Case in point: a friend of a friend was making below market value working at Nest - but when they were bought by Google, she became a millionaire.  These are the types of people we want putting their own money in BitShares, before getting hired.  Now these people are certainly very rare and hard to find, but if you had your choice, who would you rather search for, her or some bargain bin dev shop? Its all about the network. It always is.  Now let me ask again.....would you rather recruit in California, or would you rather recruit in India?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 03:08:28 pm by sschechter »

Offline jsidhu

• View Profile
I wouldnt move there cause i know whats coming for the states also i like living std where i am and my family is here is that good enough?

Im sure i can be paid more in the states but do i care at this point? No
Hired by blockchain | Developer
delegate: dev.sidhujag

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
I think that if there was a paid recruiter then that recruiter should recruit mainly among "normal" developers and I also think that it would be most effective to recruit in countries where living costs are low but people speak good English or have one person instead who manages a group of say Chinese developers and who does all the communication between the Chinese and the core dev team...
With regard to altcoin devs: "Bitshares blockchain is hiring" should be a common theme and associated with Bitshares like DPOS (which is a branding / general marketing exercise).

Can you provide examples of software the world uses that follows your strategy? If there was a developer that was really that good, whats preventing them from making the move to California, where they can be paid a top salary in their field?  Why do Google, Facebook, Yahoo, Qualcomm, Yelp, Reddit, etc. all have their headquarters in California when it would be cheaper to do so somewhere else? Why would you want a team writing code in English when there is only one good English speaker chosen to be the leader?
I guess that this is partly done for specific development tasks. But it is still a good question. It was just an intuitive thought. Maybe others more familiar with software dev can share their perspective here https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=13842.msg181142#msg181142 since this is a big off topic.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 03:21:48 am by delulo »

Offline sschechter

• View Profile
I think that if there was a paid recruiter then that recruiter should recruit mainly among "normal" developers and I also think that it would be most effective to recruit in countries where living costs are low but people speak good English or have one person instead who manages a group of say Chinese developers and who does all the communication between the Chinese and the core dev team...
With regard to altcoin devs: "Bitshares blockchain is hiring" should be a common theme and associated with Bitshares like DPOS (which is a branding / general marketing exercise).

Can you provide examples of software the world uses that follows your strategy? If there was a developer that was really that good, whats preventing them from making the move to California, where they can be paid a top salary in their field?  Why do Google, Facebook, Yahoo, Qualcomm, Yelp, Reddit, etc. all have their headquarters in California when it would be cheaper to do so somewhere else? Why would you want a team writing code in English when there is only one good English speaker chosen to be the leader?

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
Here is what I proposed, but am disappointed with the overall lukewarm response:

https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=13842.msg180029#msg180029

I don't think my friends are ready today - there is a lot more they would need to learn about BitShares first, but its a step towards getting a proper pitch.  Whether its them or someone else, we need a marketing delegate that will market to developers....ie recruiters.   Here is what I would do, if I was that delegate (can't commit due to time constraints).  If someone wants to take this and run with it, go ahead:

1. Develop a pitch.  Boil down BitShares in a nutshell and explain how it needs developers.  Come up with rebuttals to answers to questions that prospects may ask. Eliminate resistance that comes with uncertainty.  Highlight the risk up front.  People don't like bad surprises, and it hurts trust.  I like how the new website has a link in the middle of the page called 'what are the risks'

2. Find people who are already developing features for crypto projects.  Reach out to them.  Let them know you respect their work, and offer them the opportunity to contribute to BitShares for a salary.  Many of these folks are speculators working for free, in hope that their contributions will elevate the market cap of their particular coin.  Let them know they could do the same with BitShares, while getting paid a salary.  Let them know that they have already demonstrated a proven commitment to crypto, and its shareholders like supporting these types of people.

3. Reach out to the larger community.  Go to Bitcoin meetup groups. Be a regular.  Get to know the people who regularly attend.  Go to other tech related or entrepreneurial meetup groups.  Go to where smart developers congregate.  Many will talk about their own pet projects.  Now is your opportunity to talk about what you are doing with BitShares, and how others can get paid to help.

4.  Put up job postings.  Find job boards that will let you make your pitch.  Target bitcoin & crypto job boards first, then fan out to the wider tech boards

5. Follow up with prospects.  Help them find their niche and develop their proposals.  Introduce them to the forum, send them over to bytemasters blog.  Get interested prospects into mumble chats with the core dev team.  Be responsive to their needs and concerns.

6. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Is there anyone on here that wouldn't be willing to pay a 100% delegate that is doing this? Anyone with good organizational and communication skills can do this.  Its not a bad gig for an extra $2000-3000 a month.

Offline sschechter

• View Profile
Here is what I proposed, but am disappointed with the overall lukewarm response:

https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=13842.msg180029#msg180029

I don't think my friends are ready today - there is a lot more they would need to learn about BitShares first, but its a step towards getting a proper pitch.  Whether its them or someone else, we need a marketing delegate that will market to developers....ie recruiters.   Here is what I would do, if I was that delegate (can't commit due to time constraints).  If someone wants to take this and run with it, go ahead:

1. Develop a pitch.  Boil down BitShares in a nutshell and explain how it needs developers.  Come up with rebuttals to answers to questions that prospects may ask. Eliminate resistance that comes with uncertainty.  Highlight the risk up front.  People don't like bad surprises, and it hurts trust.  I like how the new website has a link in the middle of the page called 'what are the risks'

2. Find people who are already developing features for crypto projects.  Reach out to them.  Let them know you respect their work, and offer them the opportunity to contribute to BitShares for a salary.  Many of these folks are speculators working for free, in hope that their contributions will elevate the market cap of their particular coin.  Let them know they could do the same with BitShares, while getting paid a salary.  Let them know that they have already demonstrated a proven commitment to crypto, and its shareholders like supporting these types of people.

3. Reach out to the larger community.  Go to Bitcoin meetup groups. Be a regular.  Get to know the people who regularly attend.  Go to other tech related or entrepreneurial meetup groups.  Go to where smart developers congregate.  Many will talk about their own pet projects.  Now is your opportunity to talk about what you are doing with BitShares, and how others can get paid to help.

4.  Put up job postings.  Find job boards that will let you make your pitch.  Target bitcoin & crypto job boards first, then fan out to the wider tech boards

5. Follow up with prospects.  Help them find their niche and develop their proposals.  Introduce them to the forum, send them over to bytemasters blog.  Get interested prospects into mumble chats with the core dev team.  Be responsive to their needs and concerns.

6. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Is there anyone on here that wouldn't be willing to pay a 100% delegate that is doing this? Anyone with good organizational and communication skills can do this.  Its not a bad gig for an extra $2000-3000 a month.

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile

Offline G1ng3rBr34dM4n

+5%

Offline G1ng3rBr34dM4n

...I can't believe it's taken me this long to catch up on all the Nullstreet and btstalk posts..

This would be AWESOME for the Thunderclap campaign underway.  We need an air of legitimacy for potential devs, marketeers, etc. etc.

Offline RenaudGagne

• View Profile