Author Topic: Hiring Delegate Request  (Read 2008 times)

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
There are plenty BTC devs who got in very early and have tons of cash at hand. What they would want is not to sell BTS to get money, but rather to build up a large stake in BitShares.

Simple solution, offer them 3 Delegate positions at 100%

1# Delegate position, half goes to BTS, half to bitUSD. (No Vesting Period)
2# Delegate position, goes straight into BTS. (Locked for 6 months)
3# Delegate position, goes straight into BTS + shorting bitUSD. (6 months locked; then 12 month vesting period)

Net effect

A) No Dilution for before 6 months.
B) Through #2 and #3 the person will end up with over 5 million BTS in 12 months.
C) Through #1 the person will see immediate results with 1000 bitUSD a month + whatever 100k BTS is worth.

Sounds like a pretty bad-ass deal to me. Only a badass dev would get such a deal, and of course only a badass dev would already have the accumulated capital to accept such a deal. Anyway, this is just an example to get the creative juices going, there are definitely many options here, if we define a target, I am sure we can think of a great deal that they will accept!
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 12:03:05 am by CLains »

Offline bytemaster

Keep in mind that acting our own dog food is useful.   Dev delegates should have a positive attitude toward our system and be motivated by more than money. 
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline matt608

• View Profile
I don't think we need a dedicated recruitment delegate. The real problem with finding talent is that we can't offer them a real job anymore! Delegate positions don't cut it and I3 is out of money. We can only do contract work where a payroll delegate can set aside a $$ value.

(I'm happy to continue recruiting - my recruitment history includes vikram, agent86, drltc, and now zach lym for a trial).

First, thank you for your continued push to recruit talent. Kick ass Toast. The second part is inconsistent from what I heard in BM's latest mumble.

-recruitment is our top priority
-we are only using 10 percent of budget
- we need additional development talent
- gateway engineers are needed immediately
-if you need more than 1 delegate, propose it

+5%

How about a recruitment.toast delegate to collect funds ready to spend on hiring?  Or a bunch of them, say 3-5 delegates just collecting BTS for easy hiring.  If becoming a delegate is the only option, it limits growth as not every suitable dev will want to do that.  Best to encourage devs to become delegates, but also have a fund for just hiring to get exactly what is needed done.  Maximise growth in both directions.  Riverhead talked about a 'projects' delegate, ready to pay for various development projects.  Imo we need trusted + capable people collecting funds (holding them in BTS or bitUSD) so that there's a budget ready to spend.  Not all the delegates of course as that would be too much centralisation, but at least a few more would be fine.

Offline gamey

• View Profile
I think Toast was saying that the delegate would be better off just pooling money to hire someone.  Hiring someone to find talent doesn't seem very useful.  We'd be better off getting 2 delegates put together and have a referral bonus as step 1.

We basically need more infrastructure to maximize value being taken out of the blockchain to hire real talent.  And I am not saying $100k a year, but this is a crucial time where we need to ramp up.  PC explained the problem quite well.  I would suggest anyone read his post in the other thread.

People might consider the idea of caps on these delegates in addition to the idea of 'backpay' but that would be asking an awful lot of anonymous voters.

Even a 5% delegate that handled things like position descriptions, coordinating needs with development and handling Bitcoin conferences would be beneficial.  I like the idea of pooling money... anyone coordinating that effort? My case for a delegate.

Too much reliance on hoping somebody runs with it. We saw that approach in marketing and we ultimately saw where that lead us. Just my thought, I'm not married to it one way or another.

I don't know either.  The job would not be like a normal headhunter job.  It would be more like marketing so that people are aware of the roles they could take.  Although I believe BM has recently seemed to be more of the 'we will find something for you to do if you can prove yourself' attitude.... (I think I heard that on mumble)

I am not against the idea, and I very well may be wrong in my interpretation of what Toast is thinking.  It is just difficult for me to wrap my head around what such a delegate would do.  Basically they'd be a marketer for jobs on the blockchain.  You're not going to be able to approach someone and say "Hey here is our employment package"...  you're going to have to do basic marketing and find people who uniquely fit by casting the message out there.

I almost think that a referral delegate for developers would be a better approach.  Then you can let Chinese guys go find people and bring them in, for example.  That might very well be where we are able to find developers and we don't make the mistake of choosing the wrong person.  1 100% delegate with 10% referral bonus to the next 10 developers for 1 year.  Something like that...
I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline hpenvy2

• View Profile
I think Toast was saying that the delegate would be better off just pooling money to hire someone.  Hiring someone to find talent doesn't seem very useful.  We'd be better off getting 2 delegates put together and have a referral bonus as step 1.

We basically need more infrastructure to maximize value being taken out of the blockchain to hire real talent.  And I am not saying $100k a year, but this is a crucial time where we need to ramp up.  PC explained the problem quite well.  I would suggest anyone read his post in the other thread.

People might consider the idea of caps on these delegates in addition to the idea of 'backpay' but that would be asking an awful lot of anonymous voters.

Even a 5% delegate that handled things like position descriptions, coordinating needs with development and handling Bitcoin conferences would be beneficial.  I like the idea of pooling money... anyone coordinating that effort? My case for a delegate.

Too much reliance on hoping somebody runs with it. We saw that approach in marketing and we ultimately saw where that lead us. Just my thought, I'm not married to it one way or another.

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani

+5

you will be voted in in no time...
(that should be the case for bm ,vikram etc.  as well )

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 997D

Offline gamey

• View Profile

I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline hpenvy2

• View Profile
I don't think we need a dedicated recruitment delegate. The real problem with finding talent is that we can't offer them a real job anymore! Delegate positions don't cut it and I3 is out of money. We can only do contract work where a payroll delegate can set aside a $$ value.

(I'm happy to continue recruiting - my recruitment history includes vikram, agent86, drltc, and now zach lym for a trial).

First, thank you for your continued push to recruit talent. Kick ass Toast. The second part is inconsistent from what I heard in BM's latest mumble.

-recruitment is our top priority
-we are only using 10 percent of budget
- we need additional development talent
- gateway engineers are needed immediately

« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 03:36:29 am by hpenvy2 »

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai

Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline hpenvy2

• View Profile
I'd love to see a delegate that's focused strictly on bringing in talent to BitShares. 

"Our top priority is to recruit talent and getting that talent hired by the Blockchain" - Bytemaster in recent Mumble Session