Author Topic: could a mining virus be jacking up my electric bill?  (Read 1149 times)

Offline pc

• View Profile
    • Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko?
  • BitShares: cyrano
Possible, yes, but also unlikely IMO.

As a simple test, fire up a miner of your own and see what happens - if the fan gets louder after a while it means that the system is not consuming much power *without* your own miner.

Have you made a quick plausibility check? I. e. multiply max power consumption of your computer with uptime - does that account for the increased power usage?
Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko? ISBN 978-3-8442-6568-2 http://bitcoin.quisquis.de

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
I heard about a trojan for some NAS devices that mine btc or altcoin

merockstar

this isn't directly related to bitshares... but money I'm giving to the electric company is money that I'm not using to buy bitshares so maybe somebody here can help.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2260074&p=13203912#post13203912

Recently we got an obscene electric bill, the likes of which we've never seen before.

I'm wondering if it might not be related to something I've accidentally ran/picked up.

I know that viruses are unlikely in linux, but here's the thing, I'm a cryptocurrency enthusiast, and it would make perfect sense to write a linux virus if you were trying to target that demographic since so many use the OS for increased security. I know for a fact that bitcoin miner virii exist that run secretly in the background, mining crypto for for it's owner and jacking up your electric bill. I'm wondering if maybe i haven't picked up one of these.

if I have to, I'll do a fresh install, but Id really prefer not to have to.

can anybody help me figure out if the increased electric usage can be attributed to anything running in the background of my OS, and if so, help me rid myself of it?