Author Topic: Status of Ethereum  (Read 6577 times)

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
Ethereum collected nearly $18 million during crowd funding + 1/6th ($3 million) is going to foundation and early contributions. I think we should just face the fact that Ethereum is Bitcoin 3.0 and we should be aiming to perfect 2.0 services, specifically getting network effect for bitAssets and focusing on DAC entrepreneurship.

Actually Bitshares is Bitcoin 3.0.   Bitshares vision is greater.  We are about freeing the world, providing trust on the blockchain for every currently centralized solution used by society today.  Voting, identity, money, property, consensus building, everything.

I know BM's vision has always been no less than to create a parallel society.

The question is how?

[Ethereum] really is like some great computer science experiment where BTS is an economic experiment.

This, my friend, really nailed it for me.

The spirit and smell of Ethereum is like a high-tech, awesome university, like a giant computer science lab, working on fundamental research and educating developers. The spirit and smell of BitShares is entrepreneurship, using technology as a means to an end, primarily to create valuable DACs and enable a flourishing free market blockchain-based economy.
Well said!

+5%
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
Ethereum collected nearly $18 million during crowd funding + 1/6th ($3 million) is going to foundation and early contributions. I think we should just face the fact that Ethereum is Bitcoin 3.0 and we should be aiming to perfect 2.0 services, specifically getting network effect for bitAssets and focusing on DAC entrepreneurship.

Actually Bitshares is Bitcoin 3.0.   Bitshares vision is greater.  We are about freeing the world, providing trust on the blockchain for every currently centralized solution used by society today.  Voting, identity, money, property, consensus building, everything.

The question is how?

[Ethereum] really is like some great computer science experiment where BTS is an economic experiment.

The spirit and smell of Ethereum is like a high-tech, awesome university, like a giant computer science lab, working on fundamental research and educating developers. The spirit and smell of BitShares is entrepreneurship, using technology as a means to an end, primarily to create valuable DACs and enable a flourishing free market blockchain-based economy.
Well said!

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains

The question is how?

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 09:37:50 am by CLains »

Offline gamey

• View Profile
I am not so sure Ethereum is Bitcoin 3.0.  IMO the problem with Ethereum is that there will be cheaper alternatives if you actually are just using it to run DApps as gas.  I mean if I am just burning coins to run an app why not just use the discount chain?  It really is like some great computer science experiment where BTS is an economic experiment.
I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander

https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
tl;dr version Platitude 35: Let us focus on our unique strengths, and honor the unique strengths of other projects.

Ethereum collected nearly $18 million during crowd funding + 1/6th ($3 million) is going to foundation and early contributions. I think we should just face the fact that Ethereum is Bitcoin 3.0 and we should be aiming to perfect 2.0 services, specifically getting network effect for bitAssets and focusing on DAC entrepreneurship. Ethereum is more focused on research, development-community and breaking new ground for the future. We are focused on building services that are practical for "libertarians" and entrepreneurs near term, i.e. easy, cost-effective, stable and fast. Whatever our story is, we should focus on what makes us unique, so that we can emphasize what makes Bitcoin and Ethereum unique as well.

My motto of late has been "If you wish to go to Mars, you must first go through Pay Pal" inspired by the Napoleon-like story of Elon Musk, but said in the voice of Carl Sagan echoing his "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch you must first invent the universe." The idea being that "going straight forward" is not as easy cutting corners Pythagoras style. With our keen sense of economic reality we are the ones who must lead the way on how to sustain and create value straightforwardly - that we influence theoretic decisions such as using Delegates, lowering transaction speed, moving away from PoW, and doing snapshots, is just an effect of our insight into the ruthless nature of economic reality.

By way of advice I urge you all to argue the case (at least to yourself) for why Bitcoin is unique, then argue for why Ethereum is unique, and then finally for why BitShares is unique. In this way your mind is forced to focus on the relative strengths of each. The reality is Bitcoin may keep sliding for a long time still, BitShares may spend months and months trying to get basic services accepted and basic valuable DACs up and running, and Ethereum may struggle for months and months to get going, making investors and devs tired and disillusioned.

Offline James212

• View Profile
Personally, I'd like to see us stop worrying about the competition and just concentrate on getting bitshares solid.

+5%

We'd do well to heed the Peer Tracks strategy regarding time-to-market.  This excerpt from News Letter #14 says it all:

""PeerTracks the Speedboat

With all the desired features and potential, we had to figure out what to focus on first. This is where the speedboat analogy comes in. We could be this massive cruiseship of a project that comes out with everything at once, but while we do so, the big boys, our competitors could emulate it and beat us at our own game. They have the money, the time, the staff, the user base and all the other resources at their disposal. We have to find our unfair advantage, what makes us unique and go full speed with that feature. We need to get a specific kind of user on board and guarantee our place in the new music world. Once we have a good foothold, we work from there to get all the bells and whistles required to have the best music site out there.""
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 03:23:09 pm by James212 »
BTS: theangelwaveproject

Offline matt608

• View Profile

I agree. I think we should devote our over stretched developer resources to finishing what we started. When I read this forum, my take away is people are just itching to get 1.0 and a stable polished platform. I think we feel we have a competitive advantage and want to drive it home as soon as possible.

I just wish we had more developers to spread the load.

Indeed, I'd like some clarification on what happened to DAC Sun, why was the relationship ended?  We need developers and they are fluent in the BitShares coding language, why are they not carrying on work using delegate positions?

Offline mike623317

• View Profile

I agree. I think we should devote our over stretched developer resources to finishing what we started. When I read this forum, my take away is people are just itching to get 1.0 and a stable polished platform. I think we feel we have a competitive advantage and want to drive it home as soon as possible.

I just wish we had more developers to spread the load.

Offline fuzzy

Personally, I'd like to see us stop worrying about the competition and just concentrate on getting bitshares solid.

me too.
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline monsterer

My opinions do not represent those of metaexchange unless explicitly stated.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline mike623317

• View Profile
Never mind. Confusing pos with our dpos
Newbie :)

Offline mike623317

• View Profile
1. A modified version of hashimoto PoW for 1.0, plans to move to slasher PoS for 1.1

I didn't realize that ethereum we're going to proof of stake.
Doesn't this give our approach a lot more credibility?

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
Ahh, the ides of March. We've heard that before.

The Ides of March is actually March 15th.

But its been stretched to, like July, in certain recent historic cases... 8)
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline fluxer555

• View Profile
Ahh, the ides of March. We've heard that before.

The Ides of March is actually March 15th.