Author Topic: Vitalik's latest blog post "Silos" regarding crypto projects cooperating  (Read 2803 times)

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
Yep, very interesting. 

When I read this, I am not as concerned (no offense Hosk) as I was when listening to Hosk's early pitches.  They made it feel more like Ethereum was meant to be the underlying platform for our entire future to be built on.  V's description of the landscape makes it look much more like one where various technologies will fill different niches, with no single one "ruling them all".

With my limited technical understanding, I've always felt this way. There can be niches. Let Ethereum have the smart contracts, CounterParty the stock market, and BitShares the bank/commodities market. Mastercoin can have the leftover pretzels as a token of its tangled web.

Offline fuzzy

Yep, very interesting. 

When I read this, I am not as concerned (no offense Hosk) as I was when listening to Hosk's early pitches.  They made it feel more like Ethereum was meant to be the underlying platform for our entire future to be built on.  V's description of the landscape makes it look much more like one where various technologies will fill different niches, with no single one "ruling them all". 

WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander
I really love Vitalik. He managed to mention my two favorite things, Bitshares and LessWrong, in the same post.   
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline gamey

• View Profile
Very nice of Vitalik to mention our project by some of the stated goals like he did.

TBH months ago I was interested in decentralized apps of various types.  To me Bitshares represented at technology I could readily understand and Dan was willing to interact and listen to users to a high degree.  There wasn't this really defined group of leaders, so one felt as they could have some influence.

So when I did some work on the wiki I tried my best to show why Bitshares could be superior to Ethereum for developers.  Well times have changed and Bitshares has changed direction.  So I decided to delete that stuff from the wiki as it serves no purpose and was dated and vague anyway... (I did this before vbuterin's blog .. just my 2 cents)

There is definitely some competition etc, but no reason for us to not embrace Ethereum as brothers in altchains.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 10:29:37 pm by gamey »
I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander
I wish we could merge with Ethereum.  I know that not everyone agrees with this, but personally I would take a partial dilution of my stake in order to be pretty much guaranteed to be in the winning crypto project.  I see the cryptolandscape as a race between Bitshares, Ethereum, and Ripple for dominance, and I dont see how anything could stand up against a Bitshares + Ethereum combo. 
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

charleshoskinson

I would love to have a browser that lets me easily install any trustless opensource protocol I want, instead of closed binary plugins that harvest personal data.

The original idea for an ethereum client was to see if it was possible to use WebRTC, Open Peer and a browser based database to run as a chrome app. GNC is a pretty amazing framework and this would have ensured over a billion endpoints that were compatible with the client. We'd also get the app store for free with this approach.

At some point, someone will do this for some coin and it will be a game changer. 

Offline onceuponatime

Offline bitsapphire

Vitalik's vision is awesome:

imagine a world where Mist could be used to access Ethereum, Bitshares, Maidsafe or any other major decentralized infrastructure network, with new decentralized networks being installable much like the plugins for Flash and Java inside of Chrome and Firefox.

I would love to have a browser that lets me easily install any trustless opensource protocol I want, instead of closed binary plugins that harvest personal data.

Pretty much agree with Vitalik, though there will be only one dominant token money without counterparty risk. There can be endless other kinds of tokens, but only one which is purely counterprarty risk-less money.

I believe the future of the "Web 3.0" is going to be Flow Based Programming based browsers, deeply integrated with the OS itself (similar to Fractalide http://fractalide.com/ (no idea why nobody has heard of the project so far).

The web is going to switch from TCP/IP to something like CCNx (http://www.ccnx.org/) and the encrypted CCNx packages are going to become for "crypto money" what oil and commodities are for the USD today. That's going to be most likely the "killer app" for any "Internet of Money".
Register and get your personal Moonstone Wallet Beta here: https://moonstone.io/login-register.html

Offline bytemaster

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline speedy

• View Profile
  • BitShares: speedy
Vitalik's vision is awesome:

imagine a world where Mist could be used to access Ethereum, Bitshares, Maidsafe or any other major decentralized infrastructure network, with new decentralized networks being installable much like the plugins for Flash and Java inside of Chrome and Firefox.

Offline James212

• View Profile
BTS: theangelwaveproject