Author Topic: Default Vote for Core Devs???  (Read 24925 times)

Offline Rune

• View Profile
Please don't do this, it's gonna be a PR nightmare. I used to think default voting was a good solution but bitcoiners and our competitors are going to turn it into a giant circlejerk that comes up in every single discussion or news piece about bitshares until the end of time.

I don't think we should even have optional slates bundled in the client like btswildpig is suggesting. Influencing votes directly through the client is just one of those things that people will get worked into a frenzy about.

The best solution is to get the wallet working so people can vote safely, and perhaps have offline voting or some of the other features suggested to prevent voting apathy. Even without this I don't think there's a big probability that current core devs will not be voted in relatively fast, and once they're in they'll never get voted out unless they actually deserve it.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 06:06:43 pm by Rune »

Offline btswildpig

• View Profile
I would say :

The OP that sets a single default option is bad PR and all the FUD would outweigh the potential benefit of securing votes for the devs .
And bad PR shakes confidence in the market , thus affects the price .
Thus , affects the delegate income .
Thus , devs won't have good income after all .

这个是私人账号,表达的一切言论均不代表任何团队和任何人。This is my personal account , anything I said with this account will be my opinion alone and has nothing to do with any group.

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
I'd just go with a yes/no dialog in the next wallet version on first launch.

"Would you like default votes set to support the developer team?"

Or something to that effect.  Doing it silently could be bad PR.
That sounds reasonable and would achieve the same goal.

Offline Troglodactyl

• View Profile
I'd just go with a yes/no dialog in the next wallet version on first launch.

"Would you like default votes set to support the developer team?"

Or something to that effect.  Doing it silently could be bad PR.

EDIT: This is largely a problem because there's a lot of stake currently defaulted to voting for init delegates, correct?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 05:49:39 pm by Troglodactyl »

Offline davidpbrown

Fixing the vote?.. It's unclear why that would be necessary. If default atm adds nothing and votes follow from stakes voting, I can't see where the risk is. It would be adding in politics where it might not be needed?.. Better everyone is on the inside.

If you do go that route then avoid doing it in a way that users are unaware of, as such moves are known to irritate.

It could be made an explicit upfront acknowledgement of default slate, like terms and conditions often are.. suggesting in the absence of you choosing others, these are our core developers and they are recommended to you.. click to vote for these.. implicit then perhaps that users should be voting for someone. The thought then is don't take power from people but appeal to them.

I'd suggest either way, voting needs to be made more obvious in the GUI with perhaps a pop-up introduction that details what the process is and has pointers where to find more information could help encourage people to engage with voting.

I suppose on the upside it weights voting against any kind of future conspiracy but would that not be short lived if it did occur.  :-\
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 05:46:34 pm by davidpbrown »
฿://1CBxm54Ah5hiYxiUtD7JGYRXykT5Z6ZuMc

Offline Thom

For now I think it's OK, but not so much in the future. Although you're absolutely correct that trust is implicit since they're the one's creating the wallet, the problem I see with it is the inherent bias or conflict of interest it represents. It weakens the minority shareholder representation by giving advantage to those that already have a strong influence.

Let the shareholders wishes be purely represented.

As I said, it's OK for now, and, as a default (for those who don't vote? what does default mean in this context exactly?) it makes perfect sense.
Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere - MLK |  Verbaltech2 Witness Reports: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,23902.0.html

Offline btswildpig

• View Profile
Or a "slate list" after open the wallet for the first time

Dialog :  Which build in voting slate you like to use ?
1\I don't want to choose any of these 
2\core developers
3\Xeroc's
4\xxxxxxxx's
5\yyyyyy's

这个是私人账号,表达的一切言论均不代表任何团队和任何人。This is my personal account , anything I said with this account will be my opinion alone and has nothing to do with any group.

Offline btswildpig

• View Profile
bad idea .
You can release a "readme.txt" file with the wallet , states that these are the developer who is working on the wallet , suggest people to vote for them .

But do not set it on default on the software ..

Bad PR .

Offline bytemaster

Many of the core developers are critical to the success of BTS and they are implicitly trusted by everyone who downloads the wallet. 

For this reason I would like to suggest that the next release of the BTS wallet set the "default" approval for the following core developers:

Me, Toast, Nathan, Vikram, Valentine, James, Ben, Dan N., Eric F.   

Each of these guys is implicitly trusted and contributing directly to the github source.    This would really help the core team to get and keep the votes necessary without having to worry much about their salary.   Users could always "unvote" them.   

Thoughts? 
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 07:17:09 pm by Stan »
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.